The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 07:41:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Character thread [Fight for the Skies*]  (Read 7296 times)
vermillion
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Captain of the air-ship Orfiel.

« on: April 19, 2008, 03:55:41 am »

*temp name until we can think of something else.*

if you want to play but you're already playing in the STEAM LONDON thread and you want to use that character....... just post a link to the post.. or create a new character for us.

rules.. well I really hate to be lazy.. but I'm pretty much following the rules set for the STEAM LONDON game.. as they're pretty much set out well.

being as it's the navy vs the pirates most of us will be either... but any other character helpful to either cause is welcome (i.e our printer friend.)
This is just to make sure everyone knows what side you're fighting on.

as far as story goes.. right now it's most likely only going to be that.. a story. until we can find a suitable way to fight.. and if anyone has any ideas please don't hesitate to mention it, we will eventually need a way to fight each other..

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 04:49:10 am »

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be handled like a story and setting up an out of character thread to deal with any problems or confusion the players may have with each other.  I mean do we really want to bring in something arbitrary like dice roles in to a riping adventure yarn?  All tho now that about it I may be miss reading you entirely and you may be looking for story ideas  forthe reason behind the confect instead if so I think a bit of lost atlantian technology that will give it's wielder some dominion over the skies would be significant motivation for both sides and give an over arcing reason for the skirmishes that are sure to follow.

I am still debating on whether to bring Emma over or make some one new so I will post that later.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
vermillion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:37:14 am »

Well I dont mind if we DONT have a "program" to find out the winners and losers of a battle... and have an OOC thread which wouldn't be a bad idea really...

what does everyone else think?
(null).exe
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:25:10 am »

I think this could be a fine OOC thread in addition to the posting of the participants character sheets.
From having GMed MANY forum-style RPs, the OOC thread is a great place to hash out battle specifics before the actual RP posts.

I think that since this will be a combat-heavy RP, in addition to the STEAM LONDON guidelines for characters, there should be the addition of specifications, whether your character is a captain, pilot, gunner, mechanic or whatnot, what ship they are assigned to, and what faction that ship is part of.
Also, I think a simple 3 pronged 1-10 point system for vessels should be implemented to classify ships. Attack, Defense and Speed being the three values and maximum points allowed be 21.

EXAMPLE:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For this point system, we will assume that each Attack point (+) equals one gun mount

For the ease of combat roleplay, if we instate the rule that no vessel with an attack less than an opponents defense can breach their armour, that would make things much simpler. I do see that would lead to some powergaming if everyone simply sunk 10 points into armor and while i hope that our players have enough of an adventurous mindset not to do this, I offer an addition: After assigning up to 21 points into those three attributes, a player may multiply their Atk score by 1.5 at the cost of DOUBLING the time between their attacks (the time between attacks will have to be roleplayed). The increased score may not exceed 10.

EXAMPLE:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, if two vessels gang up on a single opponent, they may only combine their attack scores IF they declare they are both targeting the same spot on the opponent, HALVING both their speed scores, simulating the pilots slowing the vessels to allow the gunners to better aim their weapons. This would allow multiple small ships to work together to possibly take out some of the larger vessels on either side

Posting Vessel Classifications at the bottom of each crewman's character sheet would quickly allow combatants to choose targets, coordinate attacks or even run away if they see their attacker does not have the speed to catch up.

P.S. Forgive the ADD nature of this post, it's 0330 and I've gotten very little sleep. If this point system sounds agreeable, I'll post a more formulated, coherent version.

P.P.S. Also, I think Fight for the Skies is a wonderful name and once you create the Thread, it should be stickied.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:27:36 am by (null).exe » Logged
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A Gentleman.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:11:53 pm »

Not being terribly knowledgeable about rp I'm a little hesitant in venturing my opinion, but would it be worth pointing out that usually there are several people per zeppelin -would it make this awkward, or would it just be up to the captain to decide what it attacked etc?

Also I know this might be a bit of a stupid question, but what would speed do if the above system were to be used?

Cheers P.

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Dr. Ed
Deck Hand

Liberate tutemet.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 12:05:48 am »

Back in the days of Fallout: Idaho, one of my first web RPG projects, we decided PvP fights based on a 3-post per player, turn-based RP,  with readers and players PMing their votes to the forum moderator. These fights could go pretty much as far as the setting allowed, stipulating that no finishing blows could be made before the votes were tallied at the end of the fight. Basically, the victory went to whoever wrote better, since the fight was decided by peer vote.
vermillion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 01:23:29 am »

I understand about the whole 3 attributes on ships... but I do like the peer vote idea.. but we would have to have a story-mod who is unbiased. (maybe someone who is playing but isn't fighting.)

too bad we dont have a D&D system/generator we can use for forum games like this.
BaronPablo
Snr. Officer

Vapeurpunk ou Barbarie!

http://twitter.com/#!/Bar
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 03:42:59 am »

I can moderate any attacks or any other actions that require moderation. I have long time experience in this, online and off.

Plus, I am not playing in any faction. Cheesy I am going to be an independent adventurer.

Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman
(null).exe
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

Not being terribly knowledgeable about rp I'm a little hesitant in venturing my opinion, but would it be worth pointing out that usually there are several people per zeppelin -would it make this awkward, or would it just be up to the captain to decide what it attacked etc?

Also I know this might be a bit of a stupid question, but what would speed do if the above system were to be used?

Cheers P.

It would allow smaller, lighter vessels to outrun the heavier armed and armored frigates or conduct guerilla-style hit-and-run or strafing attacks.

I don't like the peer vote system so much because it will make even single engagements take days IRL
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 05:05:11 pm »

Why do we need a system for this? Free-form is always fun.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 12:20:16 am »

These rules sound excellent. Along Kiskolou's idea, we could have a "find a loophole in the post and exploit that" system. (Just hope there are no lawyers and politicians participating)

http://fugunews.wordpress.com/

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode." --Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
InsanityBites
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 07:54:34 pm »

Another vote for free-form. So long as the rules are clear about our views on godmoding and such, it should work OK, even with the combat.
I suggest that one of such rules be that you can't state what damage your attack does--that being left to your victim--with a corresponding rule that you can't make it that attacks on you do no damage.

EDIT: So is it OK to start posting character profiles, then?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:25:08 am by InsanityBites » Logged
vermillion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 08:22:28 am »

yes yes!! please post some profiles.... and since I've nothing to do all weekend.. I'll start up a RP thread. just to start..

Lets use free form for now.. if it gets too confusing to people, we'll discuss it here.
I'll post my own before the weekends over.

InsanityBites
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 07:57:19 pm »

Name: Christine Georgina Alice Darcey Marie Elizabeth Kane.
Nationality (place of birth): England.
Physical appearance: Christine is small and slight of build, with white skin, tangled dark blonde hair and blue eyes. She dresses in an assortment of rather tattered finery--layers of white skirts and petticoats, numerous necklaces and earrings, stockings that are perpetually falling down, and a pair of good stout boots. She gives off an air of disarray, absentmindedness and good natured bewilderment.
Profession / job title (if any): Inventor, freelance aeronaut, "mad artist".
Allegience: Pirates.
Biography: Educated at an upperclass boarding school, Christine ran away at age fourteen for reasons she has yet to disclose. (Knowing her, though, the most likely reason is "I felt like it".) She decided to travel the world and quite quickly fell in with a group of air pirates. In the past three years she has served on various different airship crews and has operated on both sides of the law. However, she is currently serving on no crew due to "a slight incedent involving a tesla coil, a toasting fork and three kegs of rum".
Christine is an eccentric, though it would be a mistake to consider her a harmless one, and beneath her puzzled attitude lies a razor sharp intellect. She frequently tinkers with technology, and has designed, built and tested various creations ranging from aetheric cannons to music boxes. She is in love with art as well as science (though she considers there to be little difference) and is quite talented with both the paintbrush and the piano. She carries with her numerous notebooks full of musings, sketches and designs for new inventions. Despite her often amoral attitude towards the nature of her creations (seeing little difference between an instrument of war and a child's toy) Christine does in fact have a curious morality. She balks at the idea of harmin innocents, and will not stand for any form of slavery, or to see her own or others' freedoms infringed.
She speaks in a formal, slightly antiquated manner, collects names like others collect stamps, and holds a particular love for anything made of clockwork. Quite at home in chaos, Christine often suspects that her mind does not work in the same way as other peoples'.
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:26:51 am »

Name: Albrecht Ernst Friedrich von Kober
Nationality: Kingdom of Württemberg, German Empire
General description and biography: Lean and of average height, short dark hair (lighter in the summer). Always wears a monocle and the standard Kaiserliches Luftschiffkorps uniform. Boots are always polished.
Educated by private tutors until the age of 16, then went to Imperial University Berlin to study aeronautics (Graf von Zeppelin is a close friend of the von Kober Family) and aerial combat tactics. Also found meteorology, archaeology and philosophy to be of interest.
Graduated five years later in the lower part of the top third of his class and was commisioned a Fähnrich (Ensign) aboard the SMZ Stuttgart, then part of the Kaiserliches Atlantikgeschwader. Promoted to Leutnant after one year of one year of service (field promotion after a clash off the Ivory Coast with forces of the mad Doctor Skarovic).
Transfered to SMZ Gera, a light patrol vessel, as first officer, stationed in Deutsch Südwestafrika.
Promoted to Oberleutnat after three years. Transfered to Imperial Pilots College at Karlsruhe as junior lecturer in meteorology and staff member of Admiral von Köpitz, 3. Kaiserliche Luftflotte.
Transfered to "Special Operations" (field testing of new equipment) at an undisclosed time, promoted to Kapitänleutnant, served with merrit.
One year ago: Promoted to captain, given command of experimental vessel LZ-X1 Württemberg, currently on long range trial cruise.
On his journey to Palau met and fell in love with Miss Gwendolen Wentworth, then guest of the Kaiserliche Station Orientis near Basra, Ottoman Empire.

Allegience: German Empire (and all civilized nations).

Vessel: LZ-X1 Württemberg
Attack: (undisclosed)
Defense: (undisclosed but propably on the lighter side)
Speed: (undisclosed but propably very high)

Once we have found a definite way to calculate stuff, i will go into more detail. The Würrtemberg is a n expeditionary craft, not a real combat vessel and as such rather avoids confrontations.

Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 10:54:54 am »

Name: Sebastian Romananonanov Bourdon von Pheobsky
Nationality: Londoner with strong Russian ties
General description:
Himself:Of light build, although a dash over average height, light brown hair.
Garb: A longer waistcoat of traditional Russian form, generic french pith helmet (as especially at high altitudes he is susceptible to sunburn), Goggles & deck shoes while flying simply for practicality.

Biography:
Born in London, however at the age of ten, he found himself sent to Russia to stay with his uncle the esteemed lecturer Enrick Sobolevsky Ruben Pheobsky, where he gained a chemical knowledge that would serve him well later in life. His first experiences of strife were to occur during this period, as while staying there civil unrest regularly saw clashes between various political factions & the armies of the Tzar. As these became increasingly regular & the small arms held within the house no longer provided adequate protection against the ever increasingly violent riots, the rest of the household were forced to flee. Meanwhile Sebastian was to take on the job of collecting bounties for the heads of chief instigators. Upon civil rest being restored, he left the country & has since fought as a mercenary for various factions. However he seems to show a slight preference for hunting down rebels & upstart factions, as it proves to be «more amusing». Most recently he has gone into the employ of the crown, but has no intentions of revealing his specific position of employ, or duties (mainly due to it appearing far more glamorous that way) -It is also of note that he is an expert a making various forms of confectionery & has a (potentially terminal) sweet tooth.

Allegience: Currently the first fleet, although money, time & a fickle disposition may change this.

Vessel: The bumblebee
Attack: (to be confirmed)
Defence: see speed
Speed: Rather damn fast
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:37:26 pm by Pheobsky » Logged
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Freelance Hero, and Beau Sabreur.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 03:39:05 pm »

Name: Haephestus Burnside.
Nationality: British / Irish.
Description: Light, slim. Neatly trimmed black hair, with a discoloured red patch. Goatee beard and moustache.
Garb: A safari jacket with a corduroy waistcoat, white shirt, and scarf. Also favours brown trousers, with boots and spatterdashes. Inseperable from his leather Akubra and lucky flying goggles.

Biography: Orphaned at an early age, and taken in by his grandfather Elias, a former hired sword. Though he mourned the loss of his parents, Haephestus became obsessed with his grandfather's past, and would sit spellbound for hours as Elias regaled his with tales of adventure on the seven seas and the eight winds. Haephestus was later to graduate University with a degree in Archaeology, only to claim the heirlooms left to him by Elias upon his death. These heirlooms included Elias' old ship, the "Fifth Ace". Seeing a chance to make his own legend, Haephestus went into business.
He was an outstanding success, selling his swashbuckling skills and his ready wit to the highest bidder, regardless of affiliation or objective. He filled his pockets many times over for every year that he plied his bloody trade.
Then, everything changed. He was hired by a British captain, ostensibly to help smoke out a nest of pirates, but in fact to settle an old score of the client’s. After Burnside had completed his objective, he was captured by his client, a man named Beffington-Smythe, and imprisoned for the murder of a British officer, whom Beffington-Smythe had led him to believe was a pirate. His crew dead or scattered, his ship ablaze, and his grandfather's memory besmirched, someone had to pay. It was as he awaited the cold embrace of the hempen noose that Burnside met his cellmate, a bedraggled individual who went only by the moniker of “Mac”. He had been through almost the same ordeal as Burnside, and he too had vowed vengeance.
Together, the two broke out of Gallowgate prison, and stowed away on a packet flier as far as they dared. It was in Dublin that they were to meet the rest of their crew, and abscond with an experimental Imperial flier. Together, the crew of the newly liberated "Reckless Abandon" set sail towards a brighter future.
Outside of combat, Burnside is a peculiar man. He spends hours crouched atop the figurehead, staring at the horizon, singing softly to himself. For all his dreaming, he is possessed of an iron determination, and is never willing to give up on any venture without taking at least one last throw of the dice. Although immensely protective of his crew's lives, Haephestus is extremely careless with his own, reasoning that he has lost far too much already to care about death.

Allegiance: Pirates.

Vessel: The "Reckless Abandon".
                    Firepower: (To be confirmed)
                    Defence: (To be confirmed)
                    Speed: (To be confirmed, but lickety-split)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:45:50 am by Gentleman-Adventurer » Logged

"What do we do? You're asking me 'what do we do'? We do what we always do....We CHARGE, by thunder!" Captain Haephestus Burnside, of the "Reckless Abandon", shortly before a boarding action.

"You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!" Henry IV, Act II Scene I, WS.
vermillion
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 09:20:46 pm »

Name: Velencia Duilio - "Vel"
Pirate - Captain Vel 
Nationality (place of birth) : Unknown, most likely American..... Lived in an Italian port city until she was forced to leave the country.
Physical appearance: Average height. short orange haired.... dresses like a deck hand when on land...she doesn't like people knowing who she is as she doesn't trust many people easy, she'd rather not have people know she was captain of her ship.

Green shirt, black corset, black "skirt", black cropped pants, boots, a bandanna and goggles on top of that...
She wears also, a black collar encrusted with jewels,  one bone carving from natives she has three keys one set inside her corset the other two hang freely from the first, she has another three on her belt... none but her know what they belong to.  theres a pocket compass on the side of her corset as well.... need to know where she's going right?  theres a few other things thrown around... various little items she couldn't sell, weapons, personal things as well.
she has two fine linen and other fabric scarves on her belts, taken from her various pillages.
for outer wear she has an old military-naval coat as well as a gray great coat and hat for that "Captain-y" presence.

Ship: The Orfiel. 
[all other info to come soon]

To find out the orfiels history go here (its a constant work in progress)

bio: She doesnt know much about her past.. [its not a "mysterious" thing -she seriously doesnt think any of her past is important to anyone, so she "conveniently" begins when she started her piracy.]
she remembers being on a transport ship from America to England one moment, running from gunfire the next. The transport was attacked by pirates only a mile away from safety, her parents took her and ran. The next thing was her father putting her into a crate, thinking she'd be safe.
Only to be opened a while later by the pirates themselves. The captain took her in as his own... Captain Lukas Auberon was her "father figure" for the next 8 years. she learned how to fight, how to lead, and how to repair the ship, and best of all..how to remain anonymous on land. 
When she was 18 she was allowed her own ship, under his command.  Their various adventures and battles led Vel to find the Orfiel in a research facility in the Heraean Mountains after being shot down unexpectedly.  It has been her ship ever since, but many have tried to take it from her.
After a while Captain Auberon realized the following both he AND Duillo received. there were more ships that wanted to fly under Auberon and soon to be Captain Duillo.
Auberon formed 'The order of the angels' a group of pirates and mercenaries,... to start a war against the Italian sky brigade in which they were sucessful. She has heard and accepted a number of rumors about her and her ship, she welcomes them all, and even starts a few of her own once in a while.

She spent 5 years with Auberon's 'Angels' before receiving an order to evacuate her home and leave the country.
She hasnt seen or heard from any of the other ships since.

Captain Briody
Gunner

Keep shooting, maybe some science will fall out.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 01:39:52 am »

Russel Briody
Nationality: American
Allegiance: The Crown, currently; America, always.
Biography: Briody was born into a middle-class merchant family with a strong military tradition. Following the footsteps of his father and grandfather, Briody attended the American Aeronautical Academy at Pensacola, Florida and was commissioned into the American Air Forces at the rank of second Lieutenant. After distinguishing himself in a series of brief colonial skirmishes, Briody was promoted to lieutenant, then Captain, then Lieutenant Colonel, at which point he was placed in charge of a small flotilla. However, during a disastrous North American expedition, Briody was used as the fall man by a superior who had screwed up rather badly, and was demoted to Captain. Realizing his career in the AAF was essentially over, Briody retired at the rank of Captain to run the family shipping business. His attempts to expand the business into England and the rest of Europe, as well as previous military experiences, garnered him some interesting contacts in the English Military and Secret Service, and the boredom of civilian life soon drove him to work as a spy, agent provocateur, and general mercenary for English foreign intelligence. While keeping up the pretense of a simple merchant, Briody established contacts in numerous countries, essentially going where the English could not legally trespass. his reputation as a smuggler and a mercenary have been invaluable to the crown and, occasionally, the highest bidder. His relationship with the English government is extremely classified and one of his best-kept secrets.

Appearance: Briody is a man of average height with close-cropped black hair and light blue eyes. his average attire is a slightly ragged bridge coat, a fedora, an engineer's coverall, and stout boots. He is relatively nondescript, and tries not to stand out- calling attention to oneself is a bad thing for a spy to do.

Ship: The SS Invictus is a registered merchantman, and is the flagship of the TransAt Shipping fleet. Unlike the rest of the legitimate shipping vessels owned by TransAt, the Invictus is not officially on the books, and is owned by Briody himself. Beneath the simple exterior of a merchant vessel, however, lies a dangerous secret: the Invictus is a Q-ship, similar to those used in the first and second world wars in our timeline. Although she is often outgunned by ships of a similar tonnage, the element of surprise cannot be underestimated. The shock of having that fat, juicy payoff suddenly drop panels to reveal gaping gunbarrels just as you pull alongside is often less than pleasant. The crew, mostly ex-military and combat-trained, make a sport of luring would-be boarders into range before blasting them to splinters. The ship sports the sort of weaponry that can only be found when the beauty of an open line of credit with the Royal Treasury and the inventiveness of underworld arms dealers come together.

For every day's a war down there, when the gauges all read red.
Twelve-hundred pounds of heated steam can kill you mighty dead.
So every man down in the hole has learned to hate so well,
That when you speak to them of fear, their laughter's heard in hell.
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 03:36:49 am »

Enrique "Fugu" Fukuda
Nationality: Spanish and Japanese
Description: Unruly, medium length brown hair. Always wears glasses and a bowler. Likes to wear expensive clothes, even when not practical. Wears the emblem of the Ejército Real de Zeppelnes, the royal zeppelin fleet, on a pendant around his neck.

Enrique is the son of a the Japanese ambassador to Spain and a minor noblewoman, born and raised in Madrid. Having expressed an interest in flight, his parents arranged for him to join the Spanish Air Force as an officer. He was later reassigned to the royal zeppelin fleet, where he was promoted to a captain. He has been sent to join the First Fleet as a representative of Spain.

Enrique is fluent in Spanish, Japanese, English, and Dutch, and is trying to learn French. He knows how to pilot an ornithopter, and the recent "accidental" deaths of several wealthy relatives leaves him with large amounts of money.

Allegiance: First Fleet.

Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer

Trigger-happy Captain of the HMS Ziggurat

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 05:51:36 am »

**Edited to include newest crew member!

Posted in the Steam London thread, but pasted and edited here for convenience.

Name : Captain Iphigenia (or, as the Brigadier calls her, "Iffy") McCannon

Nationality (place of birth) : Aloft, but considers London and Chicago closest to home

Physical appearance :
Stands at an average 5'5", with a thin frame. Has long, dark brown hair worn loose under a pair of green-tinted aviator goggles. Vaguely crooked teeth and strident, sharp features. Her eyes are a dark shade of green, and she wears a passable amount of make-up daily.

Regular outfit consists of a dark tan button-up shirt worn under a black, underbust corset, brown trousers with a white belt, and sturdy, black, lace-up boots. In addition, she totes a small raygun in a leather belt holster, and is often seen with a much larger long-range rifle carried on her back with a shoulder strap. She also owns a thick, light tan military jacket for colder weather.

When she has to be a lady, McCannon throws on a black skirt and petticoat, white spats, and a pinstripe vest over a white blouse. Unable to resist, she also puts on a little tiny tophat.

Biography :
McCannon's parents were Wright McCannon, inventor of the Automatic Omelette Maker, and Delaney Cooper, an Irish bibliophile. Having an awful sense of humor, they named their daughter Iphigenia, so that she would hate her first name and be known solely by her last.

Shortly after Iphigenia's eighteenth birthday, she received news that her parents had been killed in an explosion during the unveiling of a new fleet of airships in the countryside.

Long story short, Iphigenia, distraught and upset, took up piracy, smuggling marzipan into areas where sugar was rationed. She was caught by the Royal Fleet, and, after a yelling about what her hopes in life were and how they were now dashed, someone noticed her visionary attitude and slightly psychotic ideas about "travel beyond the stratosphere". A decision was made to appoint her the leading Captain of a covert, developmental branch of the Royal Air Force dedicated to potential space travel.

Currently, McCannon is scouring the land for an adept crew, whilst scientists back in London perfect the mechanics needed to break into space.

Personality: A little too eccentric, due to her mind taking a slight turn for the crazy after her parents' freak death. She's a visionary, and is also prone to grinning for no reason and being unnecessarily friendly and polite to everyone she meets. Her biggest flaw is that she often blocks out advice that doesn't agree with what she already thinks.

Allegiance: Her Majesty the Queen, in exchange for utter silence on the marzipan-smuggling disaster

Ship: HMS Ziggurat, a specially developed airship with a balloon that's smaller than its gondola, filled with gas that's 10x lighter than helium. The Ziggurat, though a fully functional airship, is a work in progress, as it is designated to be the leading vessel when the time comes to break into space. To keep secrecy about the project, the Ziggurat does not bear any emblems that could affiliate it with the Royal Fleet, and, to the casual observer, looks like a privateer.

Current Crew: Besides the Captain herself, there's the First Mate, the Brigadier Spenser Hawkes-Leggett, and our navigator, Adelaide Braun.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:54:51 pm by Captain McCannon » Logged

"I'm a horrible Captain, why do you think they shoved me on the S.S. Failboat here?"
Hawkes-Leggett
Officer

Horridly Inept First Mate of the HMS Ziggurat

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 05:30:04 am »

Oh, I believe I'll be jumping in this.

Name : Brigadier Spenser Hawkes-Leggett

Nationality (place of birth) : New York

Physical appearance : A bit on the short side for a man, Spenser has this dark hair that refuses to be disheveled, no matter how hard he tries. He's thin and not very muscular. His eyes are green and he wears a brown cap with a short brim, where his rather simple black flight goggles usually reside. He has a rather dirty white dress shirt that he wears under his thick, black double-breasted coat, which he never seems to take off. His tattered leather boots are hidden down to the ankle by brown pants with barely-visible yellow stripes, obscured by dirt, down each side.

Profession / job title (if any) : Former American military officer, current First Mate aboard the British privateer Ziggurat.

Biography :
Hawkes-Leggett was born to loving, wealthy New York bookshop-owning parents. His schooling and youth were rather uneventful. He was quite clever and learned just as much (if not more) reading the many volumes in his parents' bookshop as he did at school. Enthralled by airships since he was very young, Leggett entered an officer school and quickly became an airship Captain.

His brains canceled out his ineptness in and distaste for battle for a while, and while he was not good at his job by any measure, he was not the worst either. In this way, he worked his way up to the rank of Brigadier and was given the prestigious job of showing off a new airship design at a fair in the English countryside.

He gave a theatrical faux-pre-battle speech atop a mound of supply boxes that culminated in the firing of a pistol into the air. Unfortunately for all involved parties, Hawkes-Leggett neglected to notice that one of the boxes upon which he stood contained gunpowder for cannons. A single spare spark from his pistol exploded the powder, destroying the airship.

Spenser miraculously escaped death, as he had fireproofed his jacket with asbestos. After recovering from his leg burns in the hospital, Leggett was dishonorably discharged from the military in a rather public and embarrassing way. He no longer wanted to remain in the US, where nearly everyone recognized him as the famous but fate-forsaken fellow (as the newspapers liked to put it) who blew up his own zeppelin with only a pistol.

He found his way to Edinburgh and worked briefly at the bookshop of some friends of his parents. One night, while at a tea party at the University of Edinburgh, he met the newly-employed privateer Iphigenia McCannon, whom he immediately took a liking to. She asked him to join the crew of her experimental airship, a position which he accepted at once.

As he was the first to join the crew, he found himself First Mate. He began calling Iphigenia 'Iffy' at around this point, and was rather relieved to find himself still aboard the ship afterwards.

Personality: A bit too mild-mannered and nice, unless he thinks something is truly important, at which point he will spew facts from his repertoire at blinding speed until the other participants in a conversation agree that he is correct. He's a decent tactician and knows his ship quite well, but he's horridly inept when it comes to actual battle. Good-natured and humorous in peaceful situations.

Allegiance: At heart, still America, and he would do what he could to protect American interests if the situation arose. Currently, however, he is allied with Iffy, his employer, which links him to the Queen of England.

Ship/crew: The HMS Ziggurat. So far, he and Iphigenia are the only crew. They are searching for more crewmembers.

My pocket-watch seems to refuse to make a "tock" sound. Its "tick", however, is unrelenting. Is it in need of repair?
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:50 pm »

Name: Nikolas Wilhelm Janus Vendigroth

Ship/Alleigance: Sir Nikolas founded the First Fleet

Nationality: Former British citizen, however, Nikolas has renounced his citizenship, and not returned to Britan for at least ten years.

Appearance: To those outside the First Fleet, Nikolas is very reclusive, and even within the Fleet, he seldom makes an appearance. However, several trusted officers relay his orders to the fleet. Needless to say, few have ever seen him. On the rare occasions that he does reveal himself to the world, he wears a broad-brimmed hat, goggles  and a long frock coat. Nikolas hates the sun with a passion.

Biography: Very little is known about Nikolas' past. It is assumed that he is an orphan, indeed, that he has no family at all, but it's all conjecture.
The crumbs of information that he has dropped from time to time seem to indicate that he was once marooned in a desert as the result of an attack by air-pirates.
Four weeks later, he emerged from the desert, badly sunburned, somehow having survived walking hundreds of miles with neither food nor water.

Several weeks after that, Nikolas, using his inheritance, bought a decrepit old zeppelin, and disappeared once again into the desert.
These phantom trips continued for several weeks, until, one day, he touched down on a patch of waseland on the outskirts of Cairo...

The purpose of the phantom trips into the depths of the Sahara desert was to exploit the vast mineral wealth Nikolas found there, and to establish a settlement in the greatest of secrecy. The vast trove of valuable ores, diamonds and gold he found while wandering allowed him to secure the services of mercenaries and builders, in order to begin the construction of a city.

When mineshafts were sunk in order to exploit deeper reserves, they came across a most unexpected finding: Tunnels, leading to an enormous city, beneath the desert, abandoned for thousands of years. By translating texts found in this city, they foynd that it was called "Vendigroth" and was the hub of an enormous empire, that covered half of the earth's surface. Nikolas took it upon himself to restore all the technology to its former glory, and to re-extend the city's old dominion. He adopted its name as his own as a mark of respect.

After ten years of subterranean toil, Nikolas ordered the construction of two more cities, one beneath the Bermuda Triangle, and one beneath the northern polar ice cap. From these three power bases, he began assembling a fleet of airships.

The First Fleet.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:32:44 pm by Sir Nikolas Vendigroth » Logged

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Captain McCannon
Snr. Officer

Trigger-happy Captain of the HMS Ziggurat

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 12:20:40 am »

Question: have we got a thread for the RP?
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 04:39:35 am »

Name: Adelaide Haversham (Red Addy)
Nationality (place of birth): England.
Physical appearance: Around 5'5 wavy black hair braided to about mid back, dark blue eyes.  pale skin  prone to a childish fragile sickly look much to her annoyance.
Garb: Normally wears rather extravagant dresses in red, gold and copper unless helping on ship maintenance or in the lab.  Her crew of mechanized lobster people insist that she dress nicely and because she loves her crew she puts up with the some times cumbersome and uncomfortable clothes. Addy has the sneaking suspicion their insistence on correct apprentices is a by-product of their early days as domestic help.  She is rarely without a hat and never without the shining copper insignia of the lobster pinned on her chest.

Profession / job title: Capitan of the Look out Below  Part time aether rift researcher.

Allegience: Pirates by necessity

Biography: Petunia Stockton was all the rage in the scientific circles of London when she introduced her mobile utility lobsters and to this day they are widely considered some of the finest aether powered Bio-automatons yet created.  While she was crossing the country on a lecture tour she met Nathanial Haversham and it was love at first sight.  Marriage and a child followed in quick succession.  Adelaide spent more time when she was growing up with her mother's lobsters than with people.  Leading to her speaking only in the clicks and chirps of the lobsters for many years before learning how to speak English.  She is still far more likely to click if shocked or angry. 

Toby was born just days after she was and they are close as brother and sister.  Toby's mother Cordila acted as parent to both children leading to a rather unorthodox education for Addy.  After Petunia's death Nathanial's airship mania took on new and disturbing depth.  Addy learned how to fend for herself early on and it was only under her and Cordila's care that Nathanial didn't work himself to the grave.  Nathanial went in to some very bad business deals to fund his dream that ended getting him arrested for buying goods that turned out to be stolen. The government tried to seize the ship when the took him but Addy and the family's lobster servants managed to launch The Look Out Bellow before they could get the hanger surrounded. 

Addy was shot in the shoulder and Toby lost a claw but they recovered.  By the time they were healthy again it became obvious that running the ship was going to be an expensive endeavor and the British government was hot on their heels so they turned to smuggling to keep themselves aloft.  In the last few years some of Addy's inventions and mechanical work has started to pull in some money but the have a long way yet until they can go clean.  Addy is currently searching for some one willing to help her free her father from prison before his ill health sends him to see his wife.

Vessel: The Look Out Bellow(Her father named it and the crew refuses to call it anything else)
Attack:  the main weapon is a galvanic cannon that she doesn't like to use and a aether cannon that has rather un-predictable results.(Ranging from disrupting galvanic and aetheric systems to heat rays, blinding lights and loud noises or just refusing to work at all)
Defence: Armored enoughs to take a few shots while hightailing it out of the line of fire.
Speed: Fast and getting faster with each improvement.

Appearance:  Sleek aluminum with scarlet trim that is always well maintained.  Has a divided gondola with workshops and living quarters separated by the twin engines.  The workshop walls are well reinforced and it is on a separate ventilation system.  Cargo is stored in a central bay above the engines and serves as a connector between the two halves.  Most rooms connect to both an interior hallway and the exterior gangway.  The ship was the main focus of Nathanial Haversham after his wife died on a deep sea research vessel.  Adelaide often found herself playing second fiddle to her sky born sister as the ship came to be known.  After her father's incarceration the ship passed in to her hands and she has been captaining it to the best of her abilities for the past three years.

I don't think this game has a thread yet.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: