The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:35:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jetpack (more of a "FanPack" really)  (Read 2711 times)
(null).exe
« on: April 15, 2008, 06:08:50 pm »

I, Corwin L. Linkletter, hereby set out my initial ideal for the fabrication and use of one Fan-powered Personal Lift Rucksack, by which the above-average steam-canny engineer may flaunt the very laws of gravity and become airborne, in a manner similar to the dirigible.

Components:
1 Motorized Fan Assembly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1 Externally Framed Rucksack.
1 Non-acidic Voltaic Storage Unit.
Several sets of Copper Tubing suitable for the passage of Steam at High Pressure.
Steel Sheeting
Welding Torch
Leather Belts of different widths. At minimum:
     1 Extremely Wide
     2 Medium-Large Width
     2 Thin Width
     1 Additional thin one for a strap to hold the arm straps together at the breastbone
1 On/Off Toggle Button
Assorted Wiring

For the Deluxe Model, the aspiring engineer will also wish to purchase:
2 8" Lengths of 1" Diameter Metal Piping
4 1' Lengths of Hollow Square Bar in the 1-2" width
4 1" Ball Hinges or Joints
2 Motors from a Child's Powered Horseless Carriage Toy
The Steerage from the aforementioned Toys
2 Bicycle Chains
4 Bicycle Gears
1 3-position Toggle Switch
Assorted Screw-type Hose Clamps
Additional Assorted Wiring
Additional Metal Sheeting
Drill with Bit suitable for drilling metal

And now, the Method!

1. Remove the Fan from whence it was mounted, taking particular care to keep all wiring and motorization intact. Discard remaining pieces of the original unit. Set Fan aside.
2. Using some of your metal sheeting and your welding torch, form the sheeting into a container the width and height of the Rucksack's Frame, deep enough that your Voltaic Storage Unit, or Units if you wish more power, may fit within. Set aside.
3. Remove all natty fibrous strapping from your Rucksack, replacing with the sturdy leather strapping. Take special care that the Extra Wide strap is securely fastened in the waist area and the the Medium to Large Straps are securely fastened to the Shoulder Attachment points, as these three straps will bear the brunt of the Device's weight as well as the forces of Acceleration. Leave additional straps set aside. Once complete, set Rucksack frame aside.
4. Take up the metal box you have formed from Step Two. If you formed an opening lid on top, fantastic! If not, you may wish to form one now or roll the exposed metal edges to prevent gashing your hand. Take also your Fan, and attach it to the box with Bolting or Welds. An enterprising machinist may wish to create a bracket to attach the fan to, allowing a modicum of rotation.
5. Place the Voltaic Unit(s) within and attach properly shielded wiring, combining wiring to have a single Positive and Negative lead, if required.
6. Thread the power cabling from your fan through a piece of copper tubing. Weld one end of tubing to fan base and drill hole in your Box for the threading of a screw to attach the other end.
7. Mount your On/Off Button to the Leather Shoulder Strap at an ideal location to activate while worn. thread wiring from button through an additional piece of copper tubing, attaching to strap and box much like in Step Six.
8. Connect wiring from Voltaic Unit(s) through Button and then into Fan Wiring.

This completes the barest basics of the Device. Extrapolations and Improvements follow.

Linkletter's Lifting Device DELUXE!

1. Take your square tubing and fashion into two jointed arms, much like your own, in this fashion:
[Cap][----Bar 1----][Joint 1][[----Bar 2----][Joint 2]
2. Attach Joint 2 to your Box.
3. Drill holes through both instances of Bar 1 to allow your 8" Tubes to be threaded within. In one pipe install your On/Off Button, in the other your 3-way Toggle Switch.
4. Thread wiring from your Control Units into additional copper piping, screwing one end into your control arms and the other end into your Box, attaching Tubing to arms as necessary with Hose Clamps.
5. Fabricate Rudders similar to those of an Airship, although much smaller of course! Attach to rearward screen of Fan with bar and loop hinge devices.
6. At the tops and bottoms of these hinges Attach your Bicycle gears.
7. Mount the Toy Motors and Steerage in a suitable location so that once the Chain is attached to the Steerage and threaded through the Gears, the Rudders may angle with the direction of the motor.
8. Thread chain as described and attach to steerage.
9. Wire directional circuit of motor to your 3-Way Switch, utilizing copper tubing if desired.
10. When complete, your on/off switch will function as a Voltaic Cut-Off Circuit. When connected allowing the fan to activate and providing power to the Rudder Motors, awaiting activation from the Toggle Switch.
The Toggle Switch will have the following function on the Rudder Motors:
[Forward (Rudders Left)|Off|Backwards (Rudders Right)]

And your DELUXE model is complete!

Of course, no self-respecting Engineer would simply recreate another's Device without seeking to improve on it in some way. I invite you all to modify and upgrade your own Devices, posting ideas and insights below this notice.
A few additions I had thought of:
~Installation of Protected Incandescent Lamps along the Lid of the Box, perhaps flashing and illuminating at alternate times.
~Installation of two smaller fans, perhaps like those used in the cases of Personal Computation and Logic Devices, channeled downward through Tubing and Nozzles to effect the appearance of downward thrust.
~Installation of Forward Search Lamps on the arms of the device, triggered with additional switches.
~And of course any other Ætheric-looking devices to snazz up your finished device!

Humbly Yours,
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:37:37 pm »

You are planning to upload a daguerreotype of the completed device, yes? 

(null).exe
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:45:22 pm »

You are planning to upload a daguerreotype of the completed device, yes? 
Once it is complete, of course! I am, however still awaiting some of the required parts.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:59:46 pm »

I may have missed something, but does a fan provide enough power to lift a person from the ground into the sky?  Huh

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
(null).exe
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 07:02:26 pm »

I may have missed something, but does a fan provide enough power to lift a person from the ground into the sky?  Huh
OOC: No, no it doesn't, not even close. This is strictly a prop piece to wear about and astound the "natives" as it were.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:02:49 pm »

I can't wait to see the final product!

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:04:45 pm »

OOC: No, no it doesn't, not even close. This is strictly a prop piece to wear about and astound the "natives" as it were.

That's rather a shame...
Of course, with a more powerful fan and a large helium baloon...
(null).exe
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 07:06:29 pm »

It's not so much the size of the fan, but the speed of rotation...a more powerful MOTOR and you could definitely have something Cheesy
But then you get dangerously close to the diminishing returns of weight vs. thrust
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:13:11 pm »

Then again, I sincerely hope you'll have the sense to restrict yourself to a not-quite-fully-operational model (either that, or that you'll take appropriate safety precautions if you ever do decide to venture an attempt at a more powerful model), as I've no wish to see your exploits listed in my next Darwin Awards email....    Wink
(null).exe
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:32:43 pm »

Hrmmm the concept is sound though...perhaps the mounting of one of the smaller models of Gasoline Combustion engine, perhaps from one of the "Minibikes" as I believe they are referred to, coupled with a 5-6' diameter fan assembly from a workshop-sized floor fan...

*giggles almost madly and wanders off into his Ætherical workshop*
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:11:28 pm »

Some modern ones for inspiration?  markf

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/worlds-smallest-one-man-helicopter

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/11/anderson-based.html

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s201901.htm

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:50:29 am »

On Mythbusters (how many times have people said that..Is there anything they haven't done!?) they tried making a 'fanpack', and they had a really powerful small motor with a huge fan and a very light structure, but still no lift. It looked like it was going to, but just couldn't summon the energy..a shame, really, I was eagerly anticipating Jamie going through the roof Smiley

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
(null).exe
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 06:41:05 am »

The upward lift required to actually levitate 160lbs (72.6kg) is actually quite a bit.

For a bit of a physics lesson: lift (L) must overcome gravity and equal the weight kept aloft. The equation is thus (V=velocity in m/sec and 1.214 are the simplified constants):
L=1/2(1.214)(V^2)
Rearrange the equation, assuming L = pack plus wearer (lets say 250 pounds) and you get
V^2=(2L)/1.214
or
V^2=500/1.214
V^2=411.86
V=20.3
or 20.3 meter per second of UPWARD lift to get off the ground

Mind that its midnight and this equation was adapted from the equation needed to launch planes from an aircraft carrier, but the theory is sound.

Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain

Mad Philosopher and True Gentleman

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 06:02:39 pm »

The upward lift required to actually levitate 160lbs (72.6kg) is actually quite a bit.

For a bit of a physics lesson: lift (L) must overcome gravity and equal the weight kept aloft. The equation is thus (V=velocity in m/sec and 1.214 are the simplified constants):
L=1/2(1.214)(V^2)
Rearrange the equation, assuming L = pack plus wearer (lets say 250 pounds) and you get
V^2=(2L)/1.214
or
V^2=500/1.214
V^2=411.86
V=20.3

Mind that its midnight and this equation was adapted from the equation needed to launch planes from an aircraft carrier, but the theory is sound.

The only problem I see is that not all of us are 250lbs! Thats over a 100lbs heavier then I am!

You may be a mad scientist, but I am a mad philosopher.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 06:06:39 pm »

L=1/2(1.214)(V^2)
V^2=(2L)/1.214
or
V^2=500/1.214
V^2=411.86
V=20.3

The only problem I see is that not all of us are 250lbs! Thats over a 100lbs heavier then I am!

Crikey, you're light. I'm 75KG!
11 stone 10 for those who use the old measurements.
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain

Mad Philosopher and True Gentleman

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 06:17:04 pm »

L=1/2(1.214)(V^2)
V^2=(2L)/1.214
or
V^2=500/1.214
V^2=411.86
V=20.3

Crikey, you're light. I'm 75KG!
11 stone 10 for those who use the old measurements.

I do lack a certain amount of density. I'm 145lb, 6'. (thats 65kg and 1.82 Meters). 
(null).exe
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 06:19:59 pm »

You must remember to factor in the weight of the Device strapped to ones back, dear Baron. I personally weight approximately 160 lbs. and used a constant of 90lbs for the lifting device. to adapt the formulæ to your use, simply add your weight to the Device's constant and use that as variable L
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: