The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 05:28:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on the british sword ban  (Read 21537 times)
Captain_Minty_Gearhertz
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I can fly anything... Just watch me!

« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2008, 05:59:02 pm »

Add pennies to the brim. Cheesy

The music is reversable, but time...is not.
Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2008, 06:01:44 pm »

thats flat-caps....

pffft get it right.

wait, i have a flatcap somewhere.....

Est. 1990
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2008, 06:20:55 pm »

if the weapons concealed, how can they know you have it?

They don't. But its much worse for you if you have to use it (self defense becomes less useful in court if you were carrying a weapon illegally), or are otherwise caught with it.

Plus so many office buildings and facilities have security checkpoints and metal detectors now... it's downright scary.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2008, 06:26:03 pm »

ingsoc doubleplus good!

B.B! B.B! B.B!
Sgt Alistair King
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2008, 08:24:42 pm »

I will add my lawyerly weight to the discussion. Every U.S. state allows for the carrying of concealed weapons, however many states, California is one, where it is almost impossible to be approved for it. Also, the right to bear arms is seemingly restricted to the discussion of firearms, bladed weapons do not seem to fall under that category. I love my concealed carry permit myself, even though I almost never use it.

Humbly, Sgt. A.L.King

Don't tell me this is another experiment crossing lines that man was not meant to cross..
Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2008, 09:06:46 pm »

why thankyou kind sir!
Tallest
Officer

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2008, 07:43:05 pm »

I can't say for sure how the EU would treat you regarding live steel and an SCA membership, but the SCA "IS" a non-profit corporation that is quite officially active in multiple countries, it's just as real in the UK as the US.

Regarding the fact that SCA combat doesn't use live steel. That is just the Heavy fighting section of the SCA. The fencers use live steel most of the time, and also when people in the SCA are not actively fighting they are well known for carrying all manner of live steel.

In any case, being in the SCA has in the past saved many people from trouble with the authorities regarding the weapons on their person.

On an only semi related note, DO remember to remove your steel before entering any federal buildings or banks, as they frown on weapons much more than the average grocery store  Tongue

Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2008, 07:48:52 pm »

fencing foils, sabres and epee's do not count as swords, as they have no cutting edge or sharpened point.

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2008, 08:14:58 pm »

Hypothethical question:-

If I started an account with a store (say...2-3 years ago), to buy a set of  "live bladed" swords. and I plan to finnish paying (within the next month or two) for them and then take them home in a sealed box on public transport. Would that be legal?

Bad etiquette quoting one's own post, I know  Sad  but I visited the store in question and...there is no chance of getting my swords now.  Cry

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2008, 08:18:37 pm »

make sure u get ure cash back!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2008, 08:35:20 pm »

Well my Chainmail Halburk is now paid for and some left over to buy a Gladius.  Grin
elShoggotho
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2008, 06:55:17 pm »

The guys at Raven Armoury ought to be royally pissed off right now.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2008, 07:01:40 pm »

EDIT: you can still own and buy a curved blade as long as you've got a good reason to buy it; for example, if you're a recreationalist, or a practicing martial artist.
I'm a pirate, is that a good enough reason? Wink
I should photograph my newly illegal sword, its curved and well over 50cm Smiley

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2008, 07:29:34 pm »

EDIT: you can still own and buy a curved blade as long as you've got a good reason to buy it; for example, if you're a recreationalist, or a practicing martial artist.
I should photograph my newly illegal sword, its curved and well over 50cm Smiley

I wouldn't if I were you. I've heard of a few people being caught after posting photos of such things on the internet.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2008, 07:33:25 pm »

I wouldn't if I were you. I've heard of a few people being caught after posting photos of such things on the internet.

"Pirate" isn't recognised as a legitimate job by HMG anymore, sadly...
I'd say avoid posting the pictures, just to be safe.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2008, 07:43:07 pm »

"Pirate" isn't recognised as a legitimate job by HMG anymore, sadly...
I'd say avoid posting the pictures, just to be safe.

Perhaps, but there are certainly a lot more historical reenactors doing some sort of pirate portrayal (at last on this side of the pond) since the Pirates of the Johnny Depp movies.

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Empty Head
Snr. Officer

« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »

and scythes are banned? wtf? how many scythe attacks are there?

Dear Sir Henry! Have you not forgotten the one who claims so many by Scyth!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course this does make me think.. I could see a nice economy start to climb for Clubs, Maces, and anything skull smashy.

On a Zombie Note: Please refrain from using cheap steel blades when combating zombies. This will only hurt you in the long run.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: