The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 19, 2018, 07:42:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking sticks with secrets...  (Read 98010 times)
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #425 on: March 11, 2014, 07:25:33 pm »

This problem requires an eloquent solution. There must be a way of ethically sourcing sticks from the rainforest. As long as a certain percentage of any profits made go back into the sustained preservation of said forest.

I will have a chat with an ecologist who knows a thing or two about oz and get back to you.

Now try getting shanks, not timber. There's nowt here with a decent bark like Hazel either, most trees here shed bark like paper and have to be stripped. I have no clue where I could legally harvest shanks from or what the good woods here look like - I'm a Pom, not an Aussie Cheesy

The advice I've received from most people has been to forget trying to make sticks the English way and just stick to turned shanks (very expensive, if you can even find them) or harvest from the wild which I don't want to do without a clear understanding of what I'm collecting and what impact I'm going to have on the ecology of the area. It may be sub-tropical here but the ecology is much more precarious than back home in Blighty so I'd rather be safe than sorry! If anyone does know of a reasonably priced stickmaking supplier here though I'll be overjoyed to hear it!

I would expect there to be groups of stickmakers, like there are groups of whipmakers, down under, who would be able to advise you. Otherwise a legal option though not necessarily coinciding withg your own ethos, might be to buy in shanks from PNG or Indonesia, so long as they come in through a reputable dealer.

--
Keith
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #426 on: April 26, 2014, 09:08:13 pm »

I would like to make a longer than normal (Scottish?) style walking stick; the sort that comes up to the sternum (plus or minus). What is the proper name for them, and where could an inexpensive handle for one  be found?   

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
L.Ferrous
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #427 on: April 27, 2014, 01:16:38 pm »

creagmor,

Are you talking about a Shillelagh (often pronounced shi-lay-lee)?

If so, I have seen many a gentleman fashion his own out of a tree branch that is just shorter than he with a whittling or carving blade. I know they can be purchased as well with fine engraving, but I only ever see them on sale at bazaars, flea markets, and the like.

Lucinda Ferrous- when happiness is motivation, life is bliss.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #428 on: April 27, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »

Unfortunately that's not exactly what I had in mind, it's been a long time since I have seen the name, but I was thinking it was curagh, or something of the kind. 
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #429 on: April 27, 2014, 07:28:41 pm »

A curragh is one of the round, skin or canvas covered boats on a simple wooden frame, used in Celtic lands for several thousand years.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #430 on: April 28, 2014, 04:22:32 am »

Thanks. Sorry about that it should have been cruach. According to the internet this is some kind of deity, so I know that this not correct either, but it's as close as I can come.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #431 on: April 28, 2014, 05:38:20 am »

The only word I've heard applied to such sticks that starts with a "C" is "Cudgel," which of course is an English word. I'll see if I can find my old English-Irish dictionary and if I can find such a term, but I doubt it's in there. What you might actually be looking for is a local or family slang term that was used in context of a particular family- or local culture-specific type of shillelagh or just a heavy walking stick. Such terms do not necessarily refer to the actual item but rather something obliquely or idiosyncratically related to it (like the word for "baby sister," referring perhaps to whom owned one like it, say).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #432 on: April 28, 2014, 05:49:23 am »

Try looking up walking staff instead of walking stick.  Some possibilities there.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #433 on: April 28, 2014, 05:53:32 am »

According to to the Irish-English dictionary in the back of  the textbook Learning Irish, by Michael O'Siadhail (1988), "cruach" refers to "A stack of turf." That said, I also remember reading the name of the deity Crom Cruach. I have no idea if that personage would have anything to do with turf or sticks or not, sadly.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:55:28 am by MWBailey » Logged
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #434 on: April 28, 2014, 06:12:13 am »

Interesting. However the mention of the name was just in passing, I was really hopping to find a source of a handle for my proposed walking stick. 
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #435 on: April 28, 2014, 04:10:27 pm »

Ah ha! I found it; the word I was looking for is cromach.  I knew it was out there somewhere.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #436 on: April 28, 2014, 09:23:33 pm »

According to to the Irish-English dictionary in the back of  the textbook Learning Irish, by Michael O'Siadhail (1988), "cruach" refers to "A stack of turf." That said, I also remember reading the name of the deity Crom Cruach.

Conan worships a stack of TURF???!!!
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #437 on: September 30, 2014, 06:49:52 am »

Had some cool ideas for hidden weapons in Canes, and the like..

A small, steel spring powered catapult in the handgrip.

Or better still- Attach what looks like a watch in the handgrip. Works like a watch unless you push a button inside the flap on the pocket watch. This initiates a timed detonator for the explosives inside the cane's frame.

What do we want? Decapitations!
CloudWolf
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

airship pirate

« Reply #438 on: March 23, 2015, 10:26:58 pm »

i'm making a light cane containing a tube light similar in hue to an old oil lamp that will resemble i suppose, a lightsaber though it is not intended as a weapon merely an illumination aid i suppose it would serve if necessary.

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #439 on: March 27, 2015, 10:59:00 pm »

I had initially thought that this thread was about reticent phasmids, but it's been interesting just the same.  Wink

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #440 on: March 28, 2015, 07:20:56 pm »

I had a little brainwave whilst playing with one of those fat ball-point pens that has many colours within it- they are selected with buttons that slide down in slots on the side.
Interesting, says my brain, that idea would make a good combinational lock for securing something... like a cane handle.
With the right buttons slid down, and a twist... why who knows what might be revealed!  Wink
Casual inspection might expose nothing...

HP

** EDIT**  THis might sit well in the Sword Cane Legality thread...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:22:44 pm by Hektor Plasm » Logged

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #441 on: December 17, 2017, 01:15:31 am »

Doing a little necromancy on an old thread...

I recently made another discreet smoker's cane that conceals a hand turned brass one-hitter pipe with a cleaning rod. The ball of the knob also unscrews at the “equator” to reveal a turned wooden “stash” to store your smoke-able material.

The knob is a standard item sold at Rockler Woodworking here in the colonies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #442 on: December 17, 2017, 07:41:22 pm »

Doing a little necromancy on an old thread...

I recently made another discreet smoker's cane that conceals a hand turned brass one-hitter pipe with a cleaning rod. The ball of the knob also unscrews at the “equator” to reveal a turned wooden “stash” to store your smoke-able material.

The knob is a standard item sold at Rockler Woodworking here in the colonies.

That's very nice and rather handy indeed... if you hadn't explained it, then it might be taken for a small dart blowpipe  Grin.

The knob is particularly interesting and most useful in so many ways also...

hmmm.

HP

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #443 on: December 24, 2017, 06:33:58 pm »

That's very nice and rather handy indeed... if you hadn't explained it, then it might be taken for a small dart blowpipe  Grin.

The knob is particularly interesting and most useful in so many ways also...

hmmm.

HP

[/quote]

I don't smoke but I like the idea of a blowpipe....

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #444 on: December 30, 2017, 07:12:44 am »

My recent hospital stay, subsequent outpatient infusions, and the very nasty infections treated therein caused a certain degree of weakness which I am now quickly recovering from; as a result, I have had to resort to walking with, or at the very least carrying, a cane everywhere for the past few months (I've come to absolutely hate the thing, but life is dangerous and uncertain without it)

I got into the habit long ago of carrying a pair of Korean-style bright steel chopsticks on my person (the things are just handy, for more than just eating). I also have a bentwood cane with innertube sections at roughly the points where "street" canes have straight grips, along with several of what are sometimes called "ranger bands" by the prepper/shtf types, which I lately use for - you guessed it - holding my chopsticks on the length of the cane, just below the curved handle.

I was wondering just now, after re-reading this thread, if anybody has ever made, or seen examples of, canes that carry a set of chopsticks (or tweezers, forceps, surgical clamps, etc.) inside of the body of the cane?

Pics would be nice (hinthinthint)... Cheesy
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #445 on: January 01, 2018, 06:12:11 pm »

I was wondering just now, after re-reading this thread, if anybody has ever made, or seen examples of, canes that carry a set of chopsticks (or tweezers, forceps, surgical clamps, etc.) inside of the body of the cane?

Pics would be nice (hinthinthint)... Cheesy

Something like this?

Or this one?

http://www.laurencejantzen.com/up/Gadget-canes/@@sites@2@Product_xx_idProduct--19260__lang--en@@.htm
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:31:22 pm by groomporter » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #446 on: January 02, 2018, 07:16:40 pm »

Ive been working on a design for a Cane with a built in umbrella, all it is lacking at the moment is a way to conceal the umbrella when it's closed.

Well the best I can think of is to buy one of those button press brolleys with some sort of spring mechanism inside.

I was thinking that the best way is just to have a sheath like a scabbard that doubles as the walking cane. The trick is to make it thin enough. Otherwise you don't have a walking cane, but a staff or a Shillelag.

Prof. Postrophe
Officer

« Reply #447 on: March 25, 2018, 08:43:49 am »

Ive been working on a design for a Cane with a built in umbrella, all it is lacking at the moment is a way to conceal the umbrella when it's closed.

Well the best I can think of is to buy one of those button press brolleys with some sort of spring mechanism inside.

I was thinking that the best way is just to have a sheath like a scabbard that doubles as the walking cane. The trick is to make it thin enough. Otherwise you don't have a walking cane, but a staff or a Shillelag.

I find myself remembering a product that was once marketed, a sort of collapsible cover for an umbrella, that operated in much the same manner as those telescoping drinking cups one uses for camping. In action, the open umbrella would have fastened to its tip this cover in collapsed form, much resembling a thick disc of many layers of concentric tubing. On closing the umbrella, this disc could then be telescoped over it, with 8 or 9 'draws' of the concentric tube being sufficient to completely enclose the average size umbrella. The product was, if I recall, intended to prevent a wet umbrella from dripping indoors...

*Mechanical and electro-magnetic noises in the background, rising...*
"...However, one must keep in mind that eternal caveat of the engineering sciences..."
*sound of metal bending, then bursting glass and arcing discharge, followed by general crashing tumult...
...which finally ends with the sound of a magneto-dynamo sputtering to silence..*

"...'To The Limits Of The Device.'.."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: