The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2018, 10:44:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking sticks with secrets...  (Read 89534 times)
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #400 on: October 21, 2012, 11:26:08 pm »

Would that be classed as an offensive weapon in England?
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #401 on: October 21, 2012, 11:52:26 pm »

Good question, I'm not up on the laws across the pond

Fat Spider
Snr. Officer

I'm always Casting something

« Reply #402 on: October 22, 2012, 12:03:11 am »

Quite probably, the law is there to protect and serve, they protect you from hurting yourself with your own walking stick and then serve you with a court order Grin

Don't Worry, Be Happy.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #403 on: October 22, 2012, 02:03:00 am »

Nevertheless, it's absolutely striking, superbill!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #404 on: October 22, 2012, 02:36:37 am »

Nevertheless, it's absolutely striking, superbill!

Pun intended I'm sure Wink thank you!
PatronZero
« Reply #405 on: October 22, 2012, 05:16:11 am »

Uncertain this may have been discussed so please excuse any repetition.

I'm wondering how effective a weapon would be of a compression spring driven rod, such concealed inside the shaft of a cane.

Not suggesting anything as dramatic as a KGB 'spring knife' but the ability of the tip, say a steel ball bearing or some such, acting like a modern window breaker rescue tool.

A heavily compressed spring should deliver a crushing amount of impact, no pun intended.
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #406 on: October 22, 2012, 06:08:01 am »

Something along the lines of an automatic centrepunch perhaps?

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #407 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:20 pm »

If one's name was 'Maxwell'...

Excellent concept neatly executed - practical, functional as an engineering tool - and capable of generating large quantities of both envy and dismay (that one hadn't thought of it earlier).

Probably wouldn't get noticed as a weapon with the ball-pein head being covered by the hand, especially if one had the rulebook for SP-croquet in a vest-pocket....  Wink
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:22:52 pm by Fairley B. Strange » Logged

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #408 on: October 22, 2012, 04:59:30 pm »

That's a very good question. Obviously if one went around bonking people on the head with it you'd be in hot water. But that's true of anything. Hammers in themselves are not illegal, neither are solid metal topped canes. There is the charge of "going equipped" which can be made in certain circumstances. But that applies to carrying tools with criminal intent which has to be proved. If one were to cause actual bodily harm in self defense with it, you could find it being categorized as a purpose built weapon, which could well go against you in court. But as a novelty cane in it's own right it's a bit of a grey area I suspect.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
PatronZero
« Reply #409 on: October 22, 2012, 08:50:24 pm »

[quote author=Argus Fairbrass link=topic=8004.msg816501#msg816501 date=1350921570  "..... There is the charge of "going equipped" which can be made in certain circumstances. ....."[/quote]

I'm wondering how that particular ordnance is applied to a person possessing skills of unarmed combat such as in the martial arts.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #410 on: October 23, 2012, 01:55:49 am »

I'm no lawyer, but regarding a registered martial artist, I suspect that technically could incur a charge of assault with a deadly weapon, again very much depending on circumstances. Going equipped tends to be linked to burglary or breaking and entering. Intent has to be clearly shown for it to stick.

In terms of self defense, again often a grey area (particularly as regards exactly what constitutes minimum force for example). Each case has to be judged on it's own merits. There are however some things (such as the use of firearms) on which the law is pretty cut and dried, and it seems remains uncompromising regardless of circumstance.

Unfortunately that also most definitely applies to sword canes.
Prof. Postrophe
Officer

« Reply #411 on: June 05, 2013, 06:40:55 am »

Dear me, it seems this thread has stalled. Perhaps it brooks an infusion of attention...

*Ahem hem.*

Consider this a teaser, and notice of forthcoming innovations of Science as applied to the topic to hand...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Further specifics to be made public in the, er, impending future!

Prof. P.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:14:55 am by Prof. Postrophe » Logged

*Mechanical and electro-magnetic noises in the background, rising...*
"...However, one must keep in mind that eternal caveat of the engineering sciences..."
*sound of metal bending, then bursting glass and arcing discharge, followed by general crashing tumult...
...which finally ends with the sound of a magneto-dynamo sputtering to silence..*

"...'To The Limits Of The Device.'.."
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #412 on: June 05, 2013, 07:56:31 am »

The very thing.  On a side note, In the renaissance a gentleman had his surveying equipment cunningly disguised as a dagger to look less threatening, how times change.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #413 on: June 05, 2013, 09:35:05 am »

I want a bamboo walking stick with a blowgun hidden in it.

What do we want? Decapitations!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #414 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:14 am »

You mean to say you don't already have one?  I am astonished sir.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »

I've made a fair few sticks in the past but I'm finding it stupidly difficult to find any decent shanks here in Australia. I am currently using the only one of my sticks to make it here from England as my back's bad and it has become a necessity but I would dearly love to make a few more, and more steamy, variants. Does anyone know where I can find shanks here in oz?

Kindest regards, Raven

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #416 on: June 05, 2013, 03:45:50 pm »

I've made a fair few sticks in the past but I'm finding it stupidly difficult to find any decent shanks here in Australia. I am currently using the only one of my sticks to make it here from England as my back's bad and it has become a necessity but I would dearly love to make a few more, and more steamy, variants. Does anyone know where I can find shanks here in oz?

Shanks in oz? Are you telling me one of the chief growers of some of the hardest woods ON THE PLANET. Has difficulty getting said resource to even it's own population?

Erythrophleum chlorostachys
Acacia estrophiolata
Androstachys
Casuarina equisetifolia
Choricarpia subargentea

Your country is repleat with woods of a density that would put iron bars to shame!

grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #417 on: June 05, 2013, 04:15:42 pm »

Now try getting shanks, not timber. There's nowt here with a decent bark like Hazel either, most trees here shed bark like paper and have to be stripped. I have no clue where I could legally harvest shanks from or what the good woods here look like - I'm a Pom, not an Aussie Cheesy

The advice I've received from most people has been to forget trying to make sticks the English way and just stick to turned shanks (very expensive, if you can even find them) or harvest from the wild which I don't want to do without a clear understanding of what I'm collecting and what impact I'm going to have on the ecology of the area. It may be sub-tropical here but the ecology is much more precarious than back home in Blighty so I'd rather be safe than sorry! If anyone does know of a reasonably priced stickmaking supplier here though I'll be overjoyed to hear it!
dex drako
Snr. Officer

« Reply #418 on: June 06, 2013, 12:34:20 am »

or harvest from the wild which I don't want to do without a clear understanding of what I'm collecting and what impact I'm going to have on the ecology of the area. It may be sub-tropical here but the ecology is much more precarious than back home in Blighty so I'd rather be safe than sorry!

I sadly have nothing to add but I want to say I have complete respect for you for this these lines.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #419 on: June 06, 2013, 02:48:10 am »

Smiley Thanks Dex
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #420 on: November 27, 2013, 02:59:10 am »

The latest novelty cane that I made for fun and sold to a disabled person who collects canes. The bowl on the Oriental style pipe unscrews from the stem and fits inside the knob, and the stem, of course, fits in a hole down the shaft of the cane. Tight and padded so it doesn't rattle.

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #421 on: November 27, 2013, 02:13:21 pm »

A simple and pleasing shape, nice!

Did you, also, make the pipe?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #422 on: November 27, 2013, 02:32:21 pm »

No, the pipe is just something I found online somewhere.
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #423 on: December 01, 2013, 03:30:19 am »

The latest novelty cane that I made for fun and sold to a disabled person who collects canes. The bowl on the Oriental style pipe unscrews from the stem and fits inside the knob, and the stem, of course, fits in a hole down the shaft of the cane. Tight and padded so it doesn't rattle.

Very nice groomporter!

I apoligize if this has already been suggested but perhaps a hollowed out cane with lenses that could also be a Kaleidoscope.

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #424 on: March 11, 2014, 06:07:24 pm »

This problem requires an eloquent solution. There must be a way of ethically sourcing sticks from the rainforest. As long as a certain percentage of any profits made go back into the sustained preservation of said forest.

I will have a chat with an ecologist who knows a thing or two about oz and get back to you.

Now try getting shanks, not timber. There's nowt here with a decent bark like Hazel either, most trees here shed bark like paper and have to be stripped. I have no clue where I could legally harvest shanks from or what the good woods here look like - I'm a Pom, not an Aussie Cheesy

The advice I've received from most people has been to forget trying to make sticks the English way and just stick to turned shanks (very expensive, if you can even find them) or harvest from the wild which I don't want to do without a clear understanding of what I'm collecting and what impact I'm going to have on the ecology of the area. It may be sub-tropical here but the ecology is much more precarious than back home in Blighty so I'd rather be safe than sorry! If anyone does know of a reasonably priced stickmaking supplier here though I'll be overjoyed to hear it!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: