The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 10:57:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archived:The Iron Quay :: For all manner of warlike vessels.  (Read 6750 times)
Lasairfion
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:46:20 pm »

Welcome to High Riband Lasairfion Di Zaregravn's War Vessel Emporium. We buy and sell all manner of destructive vehicles for the discerning gentleman. All prices are in 1850 pounds stirling. £20,000 roughly equates to around £1,900,000 in 2005.
-------------------------------------------------
CURRENTLY IN STOCK:

Large:
Behemoth - details below.

Medium:

Small:
The Bluebell is a small light craft which is held up by triple spherical gas envelopes. The craft carries no weapons as such Rather it is a weapon. Protected by your other craft, this vessel may be taken into high altitude. The central compartment (the flower, if you will) then is charged to rain hot fiery death (long plasma stream bursts we like to call Brimstone Lances) on your enemies below. PRICE: p.o.a.
NEWScout is a light scouting ship which has a fair rate of speed and a small rotational gun turret for protection. It is ideally suited for transport and scouting activities from larger vessels. PRICE: £3,100
The hipod is a one man escape or reconnaissance vessel. It is not armed, nor is it quick. But it is fun to use, and a great many can be stored on large vessels. We have 8 in stock at the moment, and the manufactures have guaranteed that if any more are needed, they can be delivered in a short time. If the envelope is damaged, this craft will glide on its wings. PRICE: £1,000

-------------------------------------------------
The Endeavour is a 'Vanadium' class Steam-propelled Double Screw Frigate (of a similar powered vein to the Jylland) built by Vegesack-Grohn of Bremen for sponsors Cargill Morris Associates. It was never used, but immediately sold as a private concern.

It's class comes from its creator's habit of randomly assigning elements of the new Periodic Table to each class of ship that he built.
It has a number of oddities peculiar to both the Scandium and Titanium class Frigates created before.

Length:     60m
Width:            18m
Draught:       Variable. At least 5m, up to 11 m
Weight:    2,500 tons
Horsepower:   2 x 1000 hp
Speed:            14 knots in water. 123 knots in air at sea level

Decks:        Observation Deck
                 Top Deck
                 Steers Deck
                 Deck One
                 Deck Two

The cargo hold, engine room, fuel dump and bag storage areas cross multiple levels. A cargo lift runs from the top deck down to the level of deck one. Lift access is by fixed ramp in the cargo hold.

There are 4 officers cabins (sleeping 2) and a Captain's Quarters. There are two Crew Quarters, for a crew complement of 24.

Other rooms comprise:

Steers Deck :: Crew Mess Hall, Galley, Office/Bursary, Board Room, Conference Room, Map Room and Helm. There is an access hatch to the Top Deck from the Helm.

Deck One :: Four Store Rooms, Officers' Lounge and Dining Room, Officer's Quarters, Crew Quarters.

Deck Two :: Two Armouries, Magazine, Cooks Stores, Quartermaster's Stores, Crew Quarters.

Particulars:

POWER:
Twin screws are powered by two double piston propulsion engines by Lever & Bold with a combined output of 2000 horse power. Speed is around 14 knots, but this may be reduced when power take off is used to operate either the ballast tank pumps, gas bag & Edison device or the cargo lift. The steam engines run on a modified carbon lump, although coal can be used with a reduced power output of around 700hp per engine, and a reduced speed of about 10 knots.

SEMI-SUBMERSIBLE
The Ship has two ballast tanks which may be filled in order to increase the draught of the ship to 11m. Only the observation deck and smoke stacks would remain to be seen. This enables the ship to remain easily hidden from view. The access hatch from the Helm must not be used at this time, but access from the main exit lock is allowable. There are telegraphic communication lines from the Helm to the observation deck.
Air is then pumped via several of the forward stacks to the ballast tanks to resume normal draught of 6m. Whilst the Top Deck is above sea-level at this point, loading should only be done during calm weather or in sheltered ports as the Top Deck is prone to be flooded. This is not a design fault but rather a feature. The ship sits very low in the water to make it stealthier.

RAMMING HEAD
The ship is affixed with a steel ramming head at the front for the purposeful disabling of enemy ships.

CARGO LIFT
The cargo lift runs from the top deck down to Deck One level in the cargo hold, and is 10m in length and 7m in width. It will carry up to 4 tons at a time, although this is not recommended as it is positioned at one side of the vessel. Care should be taken to always evenly distribute weight across the hold.
The entire lift forms part of the deck and is watertight. It lowers on command to transport cargo to the cargo hold.

WEAPONS:
8 medium powder cannons set into the top deck in watertight compartments which are opened by a manually operated screw crank.
2 Lorentz harpoons on the observation deck.
2 Flame cannons aft. Only usable when airborne.
Ramming head

AIRSHIP
The rear of the vessel is compartmentalised away from use. The two levels comprising of the top deck and the steers deck are sectioned into one large chamber which holds a remarkable gas bag envelope which is made of a revolutionary spun-fibre material called Phenylterachloride, commonly abbreviated as 'PTC'. The material was discovered in a horrendous accident at Baron Wolfenbach's laboratories which left a large part of the laboratory section of the dirigible 'destroyed' but with all extant pieces still held aloft by tightly woven fibres. Much resultant investigation into its wondrous properties has brought about PTC.

The rear of the vessel's cargo hold contains Compressed Hydrogen which is used to force the PTC gas bag out of the rear-top of the ship, and start the inflation process. Once the bag is semi inflated and clear of the compartment exit doors, the Edison device takes over.

This remarkable device, another prototype of Wolfenbach's research utilises a machine similar to an Edison Dynamo to power an electrolysis chamber. Sea water is forced into the chamber lined with rods of a carbon-type material. The resulting hydrogen is fed into the gas bag via special pressurised conduits. This is by no means a 'quick' process and takes several hours, but enables the ship to become an Airship. Spare oxygen is either released or used for refilling air cylinders, flame devices or occasionally used for cooking purposes.

The main thrust whilst in  flight comes from the twin screws which take in air instead of water and work in an amended configuration with additional forced air thrust.

Trivia: No-one knows why the Steers Deck is called that. Theories include the fact that the sponsor owned several large ranches.

---------------------------------------------------------
PLANS:

Overview:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/img048.jpg

Deck plans:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/img049.jpg

Airship:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/img050.jpg

Price: £20,000 0S 0d

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:26:31 pm by Dohickey » Logged
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:32:44 am »

After a few minutes of examination Lazaras stepped towards the salesman. "Out of curiosity does this vessel come with a crew or will i have to provide my own? What of lifting gas? Forgive me for badgering you with questions but one must know the details before buying after all. Costs not immediately thought of can bleed a man dry."

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Lasairfion
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:32:54 am »

The vessel having being out of service for a number of years has no crew, and one shall have to provide one's own. However I am assured that the ship has been kept in the very best of conditions.

The Hydrogen Store has been kept filled and there is enough to provide initial bag expansion once. This is more about speed. One could use the Edison device on its own, but it would take much longer for enough gas to build up to release the gas bag from it's storage bay. This is only recommended in emergencies.

The main fuel is of course the Modified Lump which boasts 53% efficiency compared to the usual 38% associated with conventional coal. The modified lump is a type of UCC; a new clean solid fuel with ash levels between 0.1% and 0.2%. The UCC process uses alkali/acid digestion to dissolve the minerals out of low-sulphur coal under moderate temperature and pressure conditions, without the loss of coal properties.

There is a limitation on where one can find the modified carbon lumps. Coking coal is a suitable alternative with minimal power loss. Vaughan and Boickow of Middlesbrough, England are one good supplier of both Coking Coal and the Modified Lump.

Hydrogen can be purchased from reputable suppliers for around about 2 1/2d per pound (lb)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 01:53:21 pm »

Hmmm, not as much of a bargin as I thought, but still...considering what I would be paying for...

*pauses to look at the ship again*

You've convinced me. Now if you'll excuse me I must make arrangements for funds to be transferred.

-Just hope its worth sinking pretty much everything I have into this piece.....better to come home near broke and with a ship than empty handed. After all, I could always tell them I had been mugged, or had felt unusually charitable.-
Lasairfion
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 02:48:22 pm »

Ah you will not be disappointed in this most excellent purchase, Sir.

I am reminded of a trick that the previous owner once told me. He said that he often ran the ship with the gas bag opened and filled to a point where the lift did not quite have the power to overcome the weight, and the Compressed Hydrogen store was ready filled.
When he wished, he could increase the Hydrogen levels with the Edison device which would take the lift over the weight barrier and lift the entire vessel airborne out of the water remarkably quicker than filling from empty.

It is a pleasure doing business with you, Mr Lazaras. We can arrange the transfer forthwith, and if you so wish, for an additional modest sum, the ship be brought to a place of your own desire.

----------------------------------------------
SIMILAR WANTED - GOOD PRICES PAID
For information about further vessels, to arrange a visit or to sell, please contact by PM.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 08:23:24 pm by Lasairfion » Logged
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:13:31 pm »

Thank you but no. While I'm here I may as well try finding a crew for my new vessel. Don't suppose you would know where a suitable bunch of people could be recruited at do you?
Lasairfion
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 05:38:58 pm »

I'm afraid not, Sir. We merely purchase and sell the vessels. We do not purport to know anything about the possibilities of manning any craft. After all, as you will know, a crew would depend on entirely the sort of men you were looking for.

And I am assured in my judgement of good character that you would not be the sort of man who would look for a crew from such less salubrious places as say, The Anchor down by the docks.

I bid you have a good day Sir.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

With a chuckle Lazaras made haste to the nearest bank to pull the needed funds for his new purchase. This gave him time to ponder on what his next move would be, given he needed both crew and provisions before this vessel would be ready for his needs. -At the very least it is a starting point. Men and materials sould be findable with another 10 000, not more than 2 000 if I have to add persuasion. Hmm, now how to talk these men into boarding?- He mentally kicked himself as he waited his turn at the teller's. -With this much money I really should've thought things out better. Thing probably needs any number of repairs done from how long its be in in storage too....Bugger, may as well pull 40 out to be safe.-

With money in hand he went to both secure his new purchase and to find a crew. He just hoped he wouldn't have to rename the craft White Elephant.
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 12:27:43 am »

Attention,

I Fantômas, Elder acting on behalf of the OBSCURE high counsel having been charged with overseeing the purchase and acquisition of: One Single vessel to function as an addition to an existing few request notification upon the availability of a said vessel with the following characteristics:That she should be sound, of unusual stature, ability and and quality. That she should be armed to the teeth and be capable of transporting a reasonable general supply cargo for extended voyages. I will of course need to examine the vessel to ensure that she is adequate, up to standards and sky worthy.

Regards,
Elder Fantômas Treasurer of liberties OBSCURE high counsel.

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
Lasairfion
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 12:44:39 am »

---------------------------------------------------
Mr Fantômas,

It is most wonderful to receive your communiqué. I am out of the office at the moment, but for a short time only. You may be in luck as we have a vessel somewhat similar to your request coming in shortly.

The exact date has not been stated, although I believe the owner wishes a rapid sale and as such the pricing may be advantageous. If one can wait a couple of days or so, then you may visit the Quay to inspect her yourself, and I believe we may be able to come to an accord.

Yours, Di Zaregravn
--------------------------------------------------------------
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 01:37:55 am »

(Crackling static interrupted periodically by loud beeps, and infrequent  breaks of white noise. Some conversations in background may be heard but not clearly deciphered and seem to be technicians at work) *  *  * * ** *** ***** ****    ****  ********[BEGIN TRANSMISSION][FORMAT----*AUDIO-TELEGRAPH*----]*********************---------------------------------------------Dear,  Punctual Lasairfion [[STOP] At present I am preparing to embark on a mission of ....Mercy, to the UFAS [STOP] I am to oversee the safe passage of  medical supplies, blankets and ...a small quantity of dried, seasoned locust[STOP] It will be most efficient for a survey of the vessel in question to find inclusion in my itinerary[STOP] Once I have arrived at the USAF port I will await an update of your time frame, status et all by either carrier pigeon, or audio-telegraph [STOP]------------------------Regards, Elder Fantômas Treasurer of liberties OBSCURE high council, Captain of the Argonautica[STOP].--------------------------------------------[END TRANSMISSION AND REPEAT IN 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...(After a long series of echoing clicks at high frequency  ....the communiqué repeats)     

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 07:57:55 am by Fantômas » Logged
Lasairfion
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 11:35:21 pm »

[BY CARRIER PIGEON]

Whilst this vessel may not fit your requirements exactly, we feel it comes very close, and could easily be modified to suit your tastes. It is truly a fantastically priced opportunity.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The Behemoth is a Merchant class vessel used for carrying large amounts of Cargo. However, as the flagship of it's former merchant fleet, it was also used for Entertaining corporate guests. As such the interior is lavishly decorated and contains a unique feature: the ballroom. The ship has been modified by its current owners to include two laboratories and a medical bay.

Length:     96m (not including figurehead)
Width:            42m
Weight:    8000 tons
Horsepower:   4 x 800 hp
Speed:            80-100 knots (fully laden or empty)

Decks:        Deck Two
                 Deck One
                 Cargo Deck
                 Sub Deck

There are 10 officers cabins (singles), Captain's Quarters and Guest Quarters (sleeping 2). There are two Crew Quarters, for a crew complement of up to 96, although this is recommended against due to limited facilities. Facilities are not usually marked on the plans but are to be found in the Crew Quarters, double rooms and Captain's Quarters

Other rooms comprise:

Deck Two :: Helm, Map Room, Tactical Operations Room, 2 Offices, Store Room, Laboratory, the Ball Room.

Deck One :: Officers Lounge and Dining, Guest Lounge and Dining, Medical Bay, Office / Bursary, Exercise Room, Conference and Meeting Room, Laboratory.

Cargo Deck :: 3 Store Rooms, Ordnance and Armoury Store, Galley, Mess Hall, Guest Facilities, Cargo Hold.

Sub-Deck :: Captain's Quarters, Guest Quarters (sleeping 2), 10 Officers Cabins (singles), 2 Crew Quarters, Store, Capacitor Bay.

Particulars:

POWER:
The Behemoth is a Steam-propelled Single Prop-shaft Vessel, powered by no less than 4 Clarkson-Hammond Engines in synergistic propulsion with a combined power output of 3,200 horse power. The engines run on coking coal.

The 'sharks-fin' engine-house at the rear vents in air from the front and out the rear. Thrust is from 8 in-line circular fans along the prop-shaft with 32 fins each.  The main purpose of this power is not speed, but hauling capacity. Special flaps on the exhaust vents can force output thrust left or right to steer the ship.

CARGO HOLD:
The cargo hold crosses all levels except the sub-deck. There are 5 main cargo bay doors, 3 port, 2 starboard for loading access to the hold. The hold is open plan, although this can be modified into sectioned areas, with an access door for each using a steel girder framework if required. The hold covers roughly 90m2. Maximum total weight of the vessel is 16,000 tonnes, although this is not advised as it will adversely affect the speed of the vessel.

Careful monitoring is required when loading at ports/docks to alter the lift capacity of Hydrogen in the two gas-bags.

HYDROGEN LIFT:
The ship is held aloft by twin gas bags. These are a rigid construction which contain two bags in each. The bags are above one another length ways. Only one of each set (the top set) need be filled to provide enough lift for an empty ship. The other (bottom) set must be filled when loaded.

LANDING RAILS:
This particular vessel does not take kindly to being landed at speed. A near full stop must be executed above the position in which to land. It is then lowered by hydrogen release. The four flanged struts support the weight of the ship when landed. These pass the forces down onto the curved tempered steel rails which flex against the fixed rails below, on 8 special springed buffer caps. This enables the stress of the load to be passed between the ship and the ground without adverse weight on the fixed shells of the gas bags when landed.

WEAPONS:
The Capacitor Lance - the front of the ship has a capacitor lance which delivers electrically charged lightning bolts to nearby targets. This is fairly robust piece of apparatus, which may also be used to pierce non-rigid airship envelopes. The front of the Behemoth is  fire-retardant.
The ship has two mounted 270 degree swivelling cannons at the rear of the ship, one on each side. These fire 120mm blackpowder mortars of a somewhat revolutionary shrapnelling design, although pretty much any projectile of the right size may be loaded and used to lethal effect.

There are 6 gun-ports along the top of the cargo hold. These are accessed by a metal platform below the roof. There are 3 standard ball cannons which are on rotational tracks. The guns can be retracted from a port, swivelled 180 degrees and used in the port opposite.

OTHER:
There is an access hatch, reached by ladder, above the Offices on Deck Two, if roof access is required to go out up top.
If any additional weaponry is being carried, it can always be discharged through opened cargo bay doors.

PLANS:

Overview:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/Behemoth.jpg

Top View:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/BehemothTop.jpg

Deck Two:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/BehemothDeck2.jpg

Deck One:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/BehemothDeck1.jpg

Cargo Deck:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/BehemothCargo.jpg

Sub-Deck:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/lasairfion/steampunk/BehemothSubDeck.jpg

Price: £70,500 0S 0d - a wonderful opportunity at such a price!
(She has been appraised at £110,000 in normal market circumstances)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 08:04:35 pm by Lasairfion » Logged
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 09:42:41 pm »

[The carrier pigeon returns. One of it's wings is missing and has been replaced with a clockwork prosthetic, tiny, ultra thin gears, cogs and wound springs hardly visible to the human eye, spin and wir, a wound message is found in the whale bone capsule buckled to it's leg]

Lasarirfion,

Upon further discussion with the council, we have decided to take responsibility for the design of our own craft and have come to the conclusion that it is the only way in which we will find the outcome exactly meets our specifications. This decision bares no reflection on the quality of your vessel for sale, since she is  quite large, and apperantly well manufactured.

sincerely,

Fantomas, Elder of the OBSCURE High council, Captain of the Argonautica.

Lasairfion
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 10:01:52 pm »

Lasair ran his eye down the message, then casually filed it into the basket marked "Waste Paper". It was of no concern to him if people wished to design their own ships. There were plenty more buyers in the sea, and the Behemoth was a good bargain bound to catch someone's eye.

As was his wont, he did not reply, considering the matter concluded. The pigeon seemed to be active enough with it's new wing, although he wondered why it had been replaced, and briefly considered lunch. He let it out of the window.

He walked nonchalantly outside and affixed a poster of the behemoth's specifications to the notice board outside his offices. Then he went to lunch.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 03:18:26 am »

COMMUNIQUE FROM SIR FRANCIS MILLER TO LASAIRFION::

transmission follows::

My dear Lasairfion,
I, Sir miller, require at least two relatively well armed ornithopters as soon as possible. They must be able to carry at least two men and can reach relatively high speeds. Respond as soon as possible.

My regards,
Sir Miller

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
Lasairfion
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 11:42:39 am »

RESPONSE BY TELEGRAPHIC MISSIVE:

Sir Miller,

We do not currently have any such vehicles in Stock. However, I have a number of contacts and will endeavour to source two appropriate vehicles as soon as possible.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 06:19:12 pm »

Lasairfion,
I thank and please respond as soon as you have them.

My regards,
Sir Miller

END TRANSMISSION::
Lasairfion
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 06:33:13 pm »

UPDATE BY COURIER:

An old friend has said he may consider selling two of his Ornithopters. They are relatively fast 2-man machines with a double wing configuration. Each comes with dual mounted rapid-fire guns and an electro-cannon.

He sent an Ambrotype of one of the vehicles:

Please note that we specialise in airships and sea-going vessels, and as such we cannot guarantee stocks or availability of other types of vehicles.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 06:37:26 pm »

Yes indeed and I thank you.
If you would name your price I will certainly pay it. Those are almost exactly what I am looking for.

Regards and thank you,
Sir Miller

Lasairfion
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 06:44:04 pm »

RESPONSE BY AIRSTREAM RADIOGRAPHIC INSTANT MESSAGING SERVICE:

Sir Miller:

The price is affixed at £8,500 each or £15,000 for both.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 06:51:03 pm »

£15,000?

SOLD!
I will send someone right away (or as soon as possible) to pay and we must.
Now that I think about it... four people actually... (two men for each to fly them away!!)

Lasairfion
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 12:04:03 pm »

In the last couple of days Lasair had done fairly good business. He had sold one of the ships from his own stock, and claimed commission on two vehicles sold for an old friend. Things the way they were perhaps he could afford a short trip back to Qaf-Anra and see if there was anything interesting he could pick up. First however, he needed to check up on a few things.

The tall man walked over to the book case at the far end of his office, ducking under the low beams. From the top shelf he selected a book, and rifled through its chapters looking for the information he required.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:01:42 pm by Lasairfion » Logged
Lasairfion
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 10:40:57 pm »

Having found the information he required he left a notice on the door to the office, for any interested buyers to leave a message here should they wish to purchase, and it would be dealt with on his return.

Locking the door, Lasair walked over to one of the Hipods and set off for the Rendezvous Point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: