The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:11:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to begin?  (Read 1781 times)
.Kitten.
« on: February 24, 2008, 03:28:08 pm »

Hi there!

I'm not really new to the Steampunk genre, but it isn't until recently that I've felt the uncontrollable urge to build! I was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to start? Keep in mind that I have next to no experience building anything so it'll have to be easy, I have no space (cramped apartment, no backyard), and limited supplies. I do sew fairly well, though. Anybody have any tips to help a young lass out?

(Normally I wouldn't post an "I'm New! Help Me!" thread, but you all seem likely pretty nice folk. Please don't prove me wrong!")
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »

[obligatory response]

MAKE SOME GOGGLES!!!

[/obligatory response]

Cheesy You're most welcome Grin

theMadTinker
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Why do they always obfuscate the screws?

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 04:13:31 pm »

Some nice steamy clothing perhaps?

It's not a skirt, it's a kilt; and ye ken why it's called a kilt?  Because I kilt everyone who called it a skirt.

You won't get far trying to argue semantics with an English major.

The Urban Phantasy Blog
tanarill
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:14:31 pm »

Once you have built or otherwise appropriately constructed some Brass Goggles, you may wish to look into a Ray Gun.  Just in case the Aether is the least bit unfriendly.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 04:45:45 pm »

Blasted rayguns! (lame pun intended, lol)

Go for a proper weapon; a good ol' slugthrower! Go for a nice derringer design... there are some lovely little 4-barreled versions that are well suited for steaming conversions... not to mention small enough to be well suited for ladies' hands, as well as easily concealable for them secret agent types.. Cheesy
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 06:15:24 pm »

[obligatory response]

MAKE SOME GOGGLES!!!

[/obligatory response]

Cheesy You're most welcome Grin

Goggle help:
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/?page_id=133
I used information and patterns from that tutorial to make my leather goggles Smiley
although they aren't finished yet, I need something to hold the lenses!

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Arcturon the hobo
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

I am my own man. You, sir, are the queen's bitch

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 09:28:31 pm »

Oooh. You could mod a trench coat. I'm steampunkifying my trenchcoat at the moment.

Nae king, nae quin, nae laird, nae master! We won't be fooled agin!

I do not suffer fools, fools suffer ME!

"If she be the daughter of fifty kings" Said Father Fitzgibbon "I tell you, you can't marry her, she being a fish."

http://sceyeballkid.deviantart.com/
.Kitten.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 04:22:40 am »

Goggles are my main goal. I found a nice tutorial on Instructables, I just need supplies (well, more I need money for supplies). Also, I feel the need to get contacts first. I can't help but think that goggles and glasses would look bad. And I like having sight.
I'm been planning on making a trench coat for a while now. I just need a pattern. I was thinking on making it out of a dark brown suede, then roughing it up a bit. I happen to work in a fabric store, so I'll know right away when the best colour comes in.
Thanks!
Mister Griffiths
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:59:29 pm »

The first thing I did was convert an oil lamp to a nice battery-powered jobbie, as it meant I could use it at work and get some funny looks!

"Me, lie? Never! The truth is far too much fun...."

"Tea, Science, and a better past"
GabrielCrimson
Zeppelin Captain

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 06:18:12 pm »

Goggles are my main goal. I found a nice tutorial on Instructables, I just need supplies (well, more I need money for supplies). Also, I feel the need to get contacts first. I can't help but think that goggles and glasses would look bad. And I like having sight.
I'm been planning on making a trench coat for a while now. I just need a pattern. I was thinking on making it out of a dark brown suede, then roughing it up a bit. I happen to work in a fabric store, so I'll know right away when the best colour comes in.
Thanks!
search ebay for a big pair of glassed in your strength and power sand them down. Grin you wouldn't catch me doing it but i'd love to see if it were possible.
theMadTinker
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Why do they always obfuscate the screws?

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 09:42:10 pm »

Thanks!
search ebay for a big pair of glassed in your strength and power sand them down. Grin you wouldn't catch me doing it but i'd love to see if it were possible.

Most places can make custom-sized lenses if you give them the frames.
.Kitten.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 04:20:42 am »

That's what I was thinking. Lenses are like, $25 each? Something like that. I'll look into it. I need contacts anyway, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: