The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 04:20:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Steampunk Bands then you can shake a stick at.  (Read 27628 times)
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 11:35:01 am »

mwahaha!!!!
Schrodingers cat eventually killed himself with Occam's Razor
It was the simplest solution to that damn physicist's reprehensible puzzles!

Pfft you've clearly been reading some pitifully inaccurate history books.

Everybody knows that what happened was that after a wild night out on the town with Heisenberg, Occam shaved Schroedinger's cat, thusly sparking one of the greatest scientific feuds ever to scorch the pages of history.
Quoted for truth, if I may Smiley *adds to sig*
Edit: Oh no I shan't, char limit. Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:40:21 am by Ben Hudson, Esq. » Logged

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Tom OBedlam
Officer

The Sound of an Atom splitting

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 11:37:14 am »

wow, i've just been listening to Vernian Process's Discovery. It really bloody good. I especially like Calm before the storm, great sampling. well done chap.

http://tomobedlampof.wordpress.com/

I slept and I dreamed of a time long ago
I saw an army of rebels, dancing on air
I dreamed as I slept, I could see the campfires,
A song of the battle, that was born in the flames,
and the rebels were waltzing on air.
Abraxas
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Dept. of Works: Mistakes? We don't make mistakes.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 04:46:40 am »

Everybody knows that what happened was that after a wild night out on the town with Heisenberg, Occam shaved Schroedinger's cat, thusly sparking one of the greatest scientific feuds ever to scorch the pages of history.

thank you for the correction, sir. A night on the town with Heisenberg? It's always Uncertain as to what low and dubious places one might end up in with him at the party.

My new etsy shop : Vintage eyewear and goggles, more to come soon!

<A HREF="http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5902076">Vintage Eyewear and Goggles</A>
Demetrius Forward
Gunner
England England

I assure you, this is going as I planned. Honest!

Knozzox
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:32 am »

Has anyone mentioned Tin Hat Trio yet? I wouldn't call them specifically steamy but they sound like something you could make steam-powered war machines that resemble animals to.

'What the bally hell is "pesto" and can I put it on my toast?'
MechanicalDoll
Gunner
Austria Austria

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 06:29:25 pm »

Some friends and I work on music that is a blend of
Blues and songs played on a musical clock, intermingled with occasional Irish, Oriental and Asian melodies.
When searching for images of clockworks this week, I stumbled upon your venturesome and marvellous steampunk society.

For all means, I’m in! *gg*

…and handsome Captain Roberts of the grand Abney Park might well wave his stick at us.
Actually I think I’d like that  Grin

Your community is embracing everything wonderful and peculiar, and this embrace is wide enough to include music from various centuries, from all kind of different places and ages.
Now in the sizzling, lucent alchemic laboratory that will be the steampunk music scene, together we shall extract and combine this music, intermingle it, see what works and create something new altogether.

I am looking with much interest towards steampunk music.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:51:04 pm by MechanicalDoll » Logged
Roderick Hellyer
Officer

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2008, 03:40:44 am »

Ill also add Dr.Steel to the suggestions - I am a fan of his work as well of the bands posted here.

However, the success of the music scene in the steampunk movement will b determined not by the bands, musicians and songwriters but by the fans and the eventual critics that spring up.  It is up to us to support as any of these groups and there events without bais or malice or slicing in the foroums.  Critical discourse is one thing (and should occur and be heard) but the tantums that plagued other musical scenes from disco sucks (actualy theres some great dance music there) to the stratification of the goth scene would be a death knell to this wondrous breath of fresh air in that blows through  the over commercialized wasteland that butts up against the "any one is a star" wasteland of the internet.

One of the things that attracts me to the steam movement is there is no self termination date built into the genre and I pray there never is.

It can be argued that Punk really did only exist for those marvoulus 100 days in the UK and was the big rock in the musical pond and everyting after that from the second British invasion to New wave and onward was rippples through the musical aether.

(and yes, I concur that the Pogues are Folk Punk and amazing
).

now I would argue , that in this early part of this new century we again have a seminal rock dropped into the pond what with the rise of these eclectic bands, musicians and songwriters - here be a sound that is fresh and familiar all at once.  I welcome it and hope to see more and more people step up to the plate and swing for the fence while embracing the attitude that is punk. Its us the fans that need to heed this call as well ... make the rounds, hit the clubs, support the scene and spread the word and take the time to treat them and each other with a breath of civility, a touch of affection and a snarky bit of class.

respectfully

Roderick Hellyer

As for the future, your task is not to foresee but to enable it -
Antoine De Saint-Exupery
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2008, 11:31:45 am »

Ill also add Dr.Steel to the suggestions - I am a fan of his work as well of the bands posted here.

However, the success of the music scene in the steampunk movement will b determined not by the bands, musicians and songwriters but by the fans and the eventual critics that spring up.  It is up to us to support as any of these groups and there events without bais or malice or slicing in the foroums.  Critical discourse is one thing (and should occur and be heard) but the tantums that plagued other musical scenes from disco sucks (actualy theres some great dance music there) to the stratification of the goth scene would be a death knell to this wondrous breath of fresh air in that blows through  the over commercialized wasteland that butts up against the "any one is a star" wasteland of the internet.

One of the things that attracts me to the steam movement is there is no self termination date built into the genre and I pray there never is.

It can be argued that Punk really did only exist for those marvoulus 100 days in the UK and was the big rock in the musical pond and everyting after that from the second British invasion to New wave and onward was rippples through the musical aether.

(and yes, I concur that the Pogues are Folk Punk and amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltiY-BqvOIU).

now I would argue , that in this early part of this new century we again have a seminal rock dropped into the pond what with the rise of these eclectic bands, musicians and songwriters - here be a sound that is fresh and familiar all at once.  I welcome it and hope to see more and more people step up to the plate and swing for the fence while embracing the attitude that is punk. Its us the fans that need to heed this call as well ... make the rounds, hit the clubs, support the scene and spread the word and take the time to treat them and each other with a breath of civility, a touch of affection and a snarky bit of class.

respectfully

Roderick Hellyer

Here here! Well said. Though support is a bit difficult for me, being on the other side of the ocean, but I shall do what I can!

You know its gonna be a good session when the tech priest rides into battle on the back of a gun-servitor.

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.
In memory of Richard 'Datamancer' Nagy - 2013
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2008, 11:59:18 am »

Nebula-H is industrial, not steampunk but tey've got a steam-tune: "Mobilis in Mobile"
Freaking awesome and about our favorite steamy Indian: Captain Nemo. Cheesy

Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2008, 02:25:26 am »

Oh trust me, the Doctor is well represented around these parts.
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2008, 02:05:53 am »

Well I'll admit that the music is new to me...I've spent more of my time as a classical listener, though I have some techno and some Industrial in my collection. 

Right now trying out Vernian Process and while the speakers on my computer aren't the best, I must say you sound quite good.

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
Eduard
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2008, 04:05:48 pm »

Could bands such as "Alestorm" be considered steampunk? They don't make claims to it themselves, but a lot of steampunks I know of listen to pirate themed metal, particularly in Second Life.

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm

I also consider that some Industrial bands could fit. W.A.S.T.E. have a heavy industrial sound, and some songs such as "Man Made Death Machine" evoke thoughts of War Of The Worlds.

http://www.myspace.com/waste

I suppose steampunk is open to interpretation, as long as bands don't start claiming to be genre just to ride the wave.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:09:45 pm by Eduard » Logged
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2008, 03:57:56 pm »

Could bands such as "Alestorm" be considered steampunk? They don't make claims to it themselves, but a lot of steampunks I know of listen to pirate themed metal, particularly in Second Life.

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm

I also consider that some Industrial bands could fit. W.A.S.T.E. have a heavy industrial sound, and some songs such as "Man Made Death Machine" evoke thoughts of War Of The Worlds.

http://www.myspace.com/waste

I suppose steampunk is open to interpretation, as long as bands don't start claiming to be genre just to ride the wave.

Hmmm...

not sure. But I think they are great!
Eduard
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2008, 04:00:25 pm »

Things is, I became aware and started liking this thing called Steampunk long before I found forums and other like minded people, so I had to draw my own conclusions Smiley
Warwolt
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2008, 04:03:57 pm »

Not to say that you cannot claim to be making "steampunk music" if your intentions are such (Like Vernian Process, for example who I do think could label himself Steampunk if he wants too)

I like my steampunk [size=14]OVER THE TOP[/size] thank you very much
Eduard
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2008, 04:28:52 pm »

I agree that Vernian Process and Abney Park are certainly, and can claim to be, Steampunk Smiley But some bands are riding the wave and claiming to be steampunk because they think they fit, or some people start referring to them as steampunk.
meta-cognitive
Swab

Palestinian Territory, Occupied Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2009, 05:53:16 am »

so you really think dumping on goth is a good place to start?

it's not underground/ underdog enough for you? it deserves your parting kick?
i only know about steampunk from ex-goths gone steampunk, goth club and radio djs
who zealously play it, steampunk bands playing at goth nights
and goth publications etc.

we're open to it, excited, and supporting you in every way
so what will it take exactly?

think of goth as old technology,
it may be clunky, rusty, awkward at times
even cheesy and kinda flawed
or simply not your cup of tea, but so what?
through thick and thin, it has stood the test of time
and remains very influential on many underground scenes

good on you to talk against scene splitting or alienating

so please,
don't alienate a sister scene

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:09:56 am by meta-cognitive » Logged
MillicentFinnVonHerts
Gunner

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2009, 10:22:56 pm »

wow, checking out all these bands on youtube. Can see what you mean about them being different though.

Practically been bombarding my boyfriend with links due to he was the one to introduce me to steampunk.

Also as someone else got away with asking, Captain Robert and Vernian process can I too have your autographs Cheesy *quivers and shakes*

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2009, 11:17:03 pm »

It seems to me from what I have gathered over recent months of trying to follow different threads, discussions and arguments about what is, and therefore what is not, 'Steampunk' Music that a fundamentally important point has been missed.

'Steampunk, of itself, is NOT a musical style or a group of people gathering together under a banner of a musical style.

'Steampunk' is an aesthetic borne out of history, literature, art AND music.

Therefore, even if we all know and enjoy the same aspects of those things it will not necessarily invoke the same musical responses in us.

'Steampunk' music is as varied and, thankfully, colourful as each of our individual responses to the input. And long let it be so.

Don't try to pigeon hole or label it. Just enjoy it's many facets.

Ye Godz, that came off kinda pompous. But you see what I'm trying to say I hope.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2009, 12:24:05 am »

To the truly, desperate fan(atic), the worst thing in the world is for a Band to become known to any but their select circle of friends, or develop a a sound that can be defined...(how dare a band define itself! That's MY job!...Wink

For the obscure band, the worst thing in the world is fans like the above...Wink

Heck, I've only known Steampunk music existed since....what time is it now?...Wink Off to go sample what it sounds like.
WickedPenguin
Snr. Officer

Exploring "What if?" stories in music and words.

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2009, 01:53:23 am »

So many other music genres have a distinct sound. Metal? Pounding drums, fast, chunky guitars. Reggae? A grooving bassline and a skanking guitar. There are certain things you espect in their actual instrumentation.

But steampunk doesn't have a sound. It's more about the content and the intent of the music than what it actually sounds like. That's why you can have such disparate bands as Abney Park, Two Man Gentleman band, Dr. Steel, and Unextraordinary Gentlemen... and they all fit beneath the steampunk label. Their execution is completely different, but it's more about what they're saying than how they're saying it.

And that's what I love about it. I have a folder in Mp3 player labeled steampunk. If I want a goofy song about the Hindenburg disaster, I listen to the Two Man Gentleman Band. If I want a raucous sing-a-long, cue up track 1 of Abney Park's Lost Horizons. If I want a bizarre, danceable trip into the mind of a mad scientist, Dr. Steel can make the room go "Back and Forth". Need a sad ditty about a man with a clockwork heart? Dionysis - you're up, mon ami! And the beautiful thing? It all fits perfectly in that one single folder.

I feel that my newest collection of songs falls under the steampunk umbrella. I've written each piece with a bit of the steampunk aesthetic in mind. I'm mixing old instruments - cellos, harpsichord, flute, traditional drums - with the new - guitar, synths, bass. I'm writing about gentleman adventurers ("The Adventurer"), dirigible air races ("The Air Race"), an early 20th century zombie invasion ("The Undead Approach"), and the struggle of tradition vs. technology ("Hunting the Future"). My latest song is about a vengeful female airship captain.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:01:14 am by WickedPenguin » Logged

VonSnott
Swab

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2012, 03:14:04 pm »

Are there many UK 'Steampunk' groups? Everyone championing the genre seems to be across the pond. I work in a south London music venue and I'm developing an unhealthy obsession with all of this. I'd really love to start putting on theme nights, maybe even all-day events too. I'm just wondering whether it would work.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »

Are there many UK 'Steampunk' groups? Everyone championing the genre seems to be across the pond. I work in a south London music venue and I'm developing an unhealthy obsession with all of this. I'd really love to start putting on theme nights, maybe even all-day events too. I'm just wondering whether it would work.

Where's the venue? Knowing where it is would help us Londoners, and those who must travel further, decide if a trip to one of your Steampunk themed music events is do-able / viable.
 There are plenty of Steampunks, musicians or otherwise, based in London and the South East.
Max Thinsliced
Gunner

Fingers247
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »

Where's the venue? Knowing where it is would help us Londoners, and those who must travel further, decide if a trip to one of your Steampunk themed music events is do-able / viable.
 There are plenty of Steampunks, musicians or otherwise, based in London and the South East.

To throw my hat in as a musician, (well Birthrite, so almost), I'd like the amount of venues putting on Steampunk events to increase, and would love eventually to see an all day Steampunk music event happen. If it's going to happen anywhere I would have to say that London is probably the best place for it at this current time, all trains, coaches and M-ways link to it, and deals are available for cheap(er) travel from most cities. Its probably easier to get to London now than it is to get across it. Most Bands I know accept travel as part of the gig process, and are prepared to trek some serious distances in order to find a receptive audience. Would you be prepared to chance a themed evening, on a Saturday night with half a dozen bands, and see what the reaction is? I can think of a good few bands, including us, who would take a chance with you if it meant a regular event at the venue could be established.
kidkunjer
Gunner
England England

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 04:27:29 pm »

I'd definitely come... if t'were in London I'd make the effort...
I also make electronic music some steamy some not. if it would be appropriate i could do something there for no charge just for fun Smiley
mocata
Officer

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »

London acts? Yes! US!

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing- BRUNEL

The Men THAT Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing: www.myspace.com/blamedfornothing
My stand-up: www.andrewoneill.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: