The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 07:05:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Steam Powered Internet Machine  (Read 1516 times)
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« on: March 15, 2007, 04:39:23 pm »

I was pretty sure you all would have found this one before, but after searching the forum, I could find no mention of it... so, here it is!

"We were thinking about something that connects the industrial revolution and the digital revolution," said Deller.

Although impractical, the machine does work. "We like inverting economics," added Kane. "This is a very uneconomic way of having a portable computer."

The artists explained that the current era - when it is possible to have travelled by steam train as a child and be surfing the internet now - calls to mind JMW Turner's The Fighting Temeraire, which marks the moment when the sailing ships gave way to steam. "We're at a certain point in British history, at the end of something," said Deller.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1817636,00.html

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Lasairfion
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:19:18 pm »

Heh, so true. Ah well. Onward and Upwards
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 11:22:57 pm »

The world has moved on...

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
Emperor
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Divine Wind

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 12:04:33 am »

I was pretty sure you all would have found this one before, but after searching the forum, I could find no mention of it... so, here it is!

In our defence it is from last July Wink It was blogged up on Brass Goggles at the time and, being a non-sandal wearing, muesli dodging Guardian reader, I also spotted it and marvelled.

I suppose it's going to be a while before we can catch up with all the wondrous developments but I am grateful for your bringing this one back to the light of day as it was one of my favourites (that photography is great!!) and yet I had completely forgotten about it and would have only got around to mentioning it about 2 years from now (if ever).

What we really need is a follow up on this he has more than enough time to come up with something even more splendid.

Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:35:57 am »

I just went about the artist's website, and it appears that nothing so spectacular has come around since then.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:48:15 am »

I just want the machine that powers the laptop, so I can put a big punched copper plate on the front which says "U.P.S. - The Uninteruptable Power Supply - Provides electrical computational power as long as water, coal, and oxygen exist on the planet this device is currently located at."

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: