The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:58:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attend the tale of Sweeny Todd...  (Read 16513 times)
SomewhatSavvy
Officer
United States United States

Procurer of Properties, Antiquities, and Clothing.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 05:18:45 am »

Also, I'd like to point out that Johnny Depp was in a band ("P"). He mainly played guitar, but I believe he also sang. On another note: Is it confirmed that it's going to be a musical? What if they make a film about the story sans music? Just a thought.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 06:09:07 am »

Also, I'd like to point out that Johnny Depp was in a band ("P"). He mainly played guitar, but I believe he also sang.

I did hear that and the fact that he got the part makes me think he actually CAN sing...but being in a band doesn't ease my worry, If Kurt Cobain had been cast as Sweeney, I wouldn't have necessarily thought it was a good choice. Of course if Kurt Cobain HAD been cast in this I think his singing abilities would be the last thing on peoples minds...More important concerns would be "Oh NO The Zombie Apocalypse has begun!" or "My lord its eating Helena KILL IT KILL IT!!"

Is it confirmed that it's going to be a musical?
It is, Sondheim is making the rounds with interviews and talking about the cut songs and how bloody it will be (squeee!!). Tim Burton just confirmed that it will be rated R

What if they make a film about the story sans music? Just a thought.

Personally I find this version of the story practically perfect, if they made a movie based on the Christopher Bond play that the musical is based on, I wouldn't mind....however theres something about the music that makes the whole thing so much fun. Ive seen many different versions of this story and Sondheim's is my favorite...although the recent BBC version is pretty good too, you cant really go wrong with Ray Winstone Wink

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:46:13 am by The Infernal Mr Adams » Logged

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
SomewhatSavvy
Officer

Procurer of Properties, Antiquities, and Clothing.

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 06:18:27 am »

Wasn't saying it eased my fears by much, I simply wanted to make note Smiley. I know I'd be disappointed if it wasn't a musical (it needs to be) I just wasn't sure. I haven't been patrolling imdb like I ought to Wink.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 06:37:37 am »

I haven't been patrolling imdb like I ought to Wink

You should! Theres nothing to fear..........jooooooin uuuuuuuuuuusssssss....

Grin

The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 08:38:05 am »

I can't think of Sweeny Todd without having flashbacks to <shudder> Jersey Girl
If you have no idea of what I'm referring to, consider that a good thing.

You mean
this
?

<<Shudder>>

AdAstra
Deck Hand

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 02:40:11 am »

Those pictures... wow.

I mean, I have almost no intention of seeing the movie at this point... but those pictures make me almost reconsider. I'll have to see a trailer when one comes out.

But now, let us all pay homage to La LuPone. *bows*

the Hat
Snr. Officer

Vagabond and Raconteur

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 04:50:02 pm »

*first post!* I am very disappointed. I looked all over that movie poster on the previous page and I did NOT see Danny Elfman's name. Again, I am VERY disappointed!

"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz
oskila
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Robber of graves, watcher of birds, drinker of ale

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 04:58:11 pm »

*first post!* I am very disappointed. I looked all over that movie poster on the previous page and I did NOT see Danny Elfman's name. Again, I am VERY disappointed!

Since it is a screen adaptation of a stage musical, Elfman probably wouldn't have a lot of job to do with this movie.

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007, 08:56:52 pm »

So someone made a musical about a real life serial killer who killed 50 or so people? That does seem rather distasteful.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 09:46:53 pm »

So someone made a musical about a real life serial killer who killed 50 or so people? That does seem rather distasteful.

They actually aren't sure if he was real. This guy wrote a book about Sweeney swearing up and down that the guy was real Court Documents, letters, what-have-you...but it turns out he falsified his evidence. One of the earliest versions of Sweeney is in a Penny Dreadful called String of Pearls

Regardless, this version of the story is pretty far removed from all previous versions.
the Hat
Snr. Officer

Vagabond and Raconteur

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 12:18:40 am »

Yes, a musical about an murdering barber does sound very odd, but let us remember..... this IS Tim Burton. Wink
AdAstra
Deck Hand

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 03:44:03 am »

Yes, a musical about an murdering barber does sound very odd, but let us remember..... this IS Tim Burton. Wink

Even odder when you inform the uninitiated that it's actually a comedy. A very, very black comedy, but a comedy nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 03:46:14 am by AdAstra » Logged
Vincent Théière
Zeppelin Captain

The skull behind the skin.

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 08:10:25 am »

Since it is a screen adaptation of a stage musical, Elfman probably wouldn't have a lot of job to do with this movie.

I wouldn't say so.  Squishing a stage musical into a movie actually requires a large amount of work.  And while the score may already be written you can garuntee it will be rearranged some what for the new format/director.
oskila
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Robber of graves, watcher of birds, drinker of ale

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 06:12:51 pm »

True, but I, at least, think that the not too exciting task of rewriting the score a bit seems like a waste of Danny Elfmans time and talent. Possibly, composer Sondheim did it himself.
the Hat
Snr. Officer

Vagabond and Raconteur

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 09:42:23 pm »

Look look!!

Poster!!

First pic!

Soooo excited :droool:

Yes, if you look closely it does credit Sondheim for the music and the lyrics and also someone named Hugh Wheeler along with Sondheim for the musical score. I'm getting rather excited about this movie even though I have never even seen the play.
Vincent Théière
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 11:29:59 am »

True, but I, at least, think that the not too exciting task of rewriting the score a bit seems like a waste of Danny Elfmans time and talent. Possibly, composer Sondheim did it himself.

Well, as a muso I'd say that rewriting someone else's score, especially if you got to work with someone as full on as Burton would be quite fun.  But that's just me, I guess we'll see...
Major Francis Cleverly
Snr. Officer

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

I haven't seen any of the operas (my opera experience being limited to three viewings of Carmina Burana) or any other productions of Sweeny Todd, but I have to say that with that movie poster, and the cast list I'm definitely going to see it.  I can't remember very many times that Depp and Burton did a project together and the results weren't very good.

Nothing.
CinnamonAndSpite
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 06:04:11 am »

Aaaaah! Sweeney Todd is possibly my favourite musical of all time (therefore, I am very iffy about the upcoming movie...)!
I saw the revival in NYC in 2005(?).

That set looks really neat. Much different from the revival set.
Very simple

By the way, this maaay be in the wrong section...

Eee! That's Michael Cerveris!! Awesome actor, and from I heard, SO good in Sweeny Todd. I got to meet him a few times when hanging out with the Hedwig and the Angry Inch crew in London. Neeeefty!
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 08:00:14 am »

Obsession RISING!!
Major Francis Cleverly
Snr. Officer

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 07:05:47 pm »

From the trailer it appears that at least part of it will be "musical-ish" if that's a word..... that is... there's singing and whatnot.
Vincent Théière
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 12:15:57 pm »

From the trailer it appears that at least part of it will be "musical-ish" if that's a word..... that is... there's singing and whatnot.

Oh yeah, that was always the intention.
AdAstra
Deck Hand

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2007, 01:57:45 am »

I heard they cut rather a lot of the music, though..... sad.
Ms. Madeline S. Brightley
Gunner

Inventor, Artist, and Tea-Addict

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 03:15:19 pm »

Oddly enough, the musical ws actually written by Stephen Sondheim. (not as shocking as it sounds when one recalls that he also wrote a musical wherein he killed off a fairly large number of faery-tale characters) It's something of a stage extension of the gothic/dark Neo-Victorian movement one finds in literature and movies so often. Should be brilliant seeing it done by Tim Burton, though.  Wink

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!"
- The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Miss-Mariela W.
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2007, 03:22:10 pm »

I saw the full trailer for the movie yeaterday when I went to see Heartbreak Kid.

The trailer beat the actual movie I went to see x12982734982374928347. Haha.

But anyways, the film looks amazing. I've been waiting for it to come out for almost a year now. I am a HUGE Helena Bohnam Carter fan, I can truly say that she is one of my idols. The costumes look superb, absolutely breathtaking, actually! Although, I will say that I'm not quite sure on Mr. Depp's singing ability, it still looks like he'll be able to pull it off. (He does pull of playing crazy people quite well. <3)

The entire desing of the film looks great, I really hope that it lives up to my expectations. And hopefully the soundtrack will be up on iTunes soon so we can see the track lineup. XD
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2007, 09:35:12 pm »

Hopefully the soundtrack will be up on iTunes soon so we can see the track lineup. XD

The soundtrack is supposed to be released on Dec. 18 so not too long from now Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: