The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:55:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Free Port City of Salvage  (Read 24378 times)
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« on: March 15, 2007, 02:18:57 am »

THE FREE PORT OF SALVAGE:

Salvage is a leviathan traction ship, resembling more a mountain of discarded tech than a town.  Encircling the top of the scrapyards, an airship dock welcomes all.  Between the mammoth treads of the town, mining platforms trench valuable minerals and coal from the soil to be smelted or sold raw to anyone with the right cash or barter.  Damek Kral is captain and mayor of Salvage.  Kral keeps no alliances, Salvage caters to the needs of any customer, regardless of faction. 

PURPOSE:

The Free Port of Salvage is at once a setting and an NPC (minor characters can be played through, but most citizens, especially Kral will be played by me).

WEAPONS:

Salvage welcomes all, except thieves.  Anyone attempting to attack, steal, or otherwise interrupt business in or of the city will face Tesla energy guns, 420 mm cannons, as well as the militia.

Salvage doesn't involve itself in the personal affairs of the Councils, and tolerates the occasional outbreak of war, but if things get out of hand, actions will be taken.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 05:42:19 am by fmra » Logged

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 02:25:35 am »

Again.. a perfect example of what we could trun this RPG into..
Great creative idea!

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 02:27:15 am »

thank you, I figured in order to have amazing airship battles, you'd eventually need repairs, fuel, booze, and to stretch your legs once in a while.
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 05:20:17 am »

Ah, a mortal engines-like counsel! I like your creative means of colinization: Would you like to join aliegance with UFAS?

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 05:31:38 am »

As was stated earlier, Salvage holds no alligances as to be behelden to none menas one may do business with all.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 05:42:47 am »

Ah, sorry, somehow missed the the no alliances part. Well, i look forward to doing business in the future!
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 05:49:11 am »

One does have to wonder how this monstrosity was constructed in the first place. However I would keep the darker speculations to ones self. After all we are Guests here, and one does not speak ill of their host while in their home.

Now then why am I here? I'm simply a traveler. a no-named rich parent Brat that felt too confined by the path lain before me birth for me. That is to say I'm Traveling, not to mention searching for abit of something to give my bicycle that extra kick for those times where human power just isn't enough.
mr gilbert flint
Officer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 07:04:09 am »

ha tough luck kiskolou.getting a bit desperate are we.ha ha ah .

I'M THE DANDY SKYWAY MAN(almost adam and the ants)
member of the P.I.R.A.T.E.S council
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 10:38:43 pm »

Know that I, Ishmael, welcome the offer of barter, and would offer to you the chance of trade in certain useful items of League technology for smelted metals. To that end, I extend the hand of commerce, and will dispatch a League trading vessel with samples for you persula. I seek quantities of iron alloyed with certain of the rarer noble metals. 
 I remain trusting that satisfactory  ententes can be reched.

By my hand, tgis day, aboard Leviathan

Ishmael
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:51:41 pm »

Greetings Ishmael,

Salvage is keenly interested in discussing trade with you and your establishment.  Indeed, we can provide you with smelted bars of iron alloy, though we will need to know your full specifications.  Any items not already in our warehouses will require time to manufacture.  Be aware this may take a few days, but we do welcome you and your crew to stay.  Dockmaster Freeman has issued a clearance for you sample ship on Pier 4, anchor 15.  We look forward to doing business with you.

Sterling Lawson
Merchant District Chancellor
Free Port of Salvage
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:47:03 am by fmra » Logged
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 01:01:23 am »

I thank you for the opportunity for trade. I require an iron, carbonized to 2% to form a steel, then alloyed with small amounts of certain trace elementals, notably selenium, and formed into hundredweight ingots.
  I trust that this is well with in your metallurgical capabilites, and also trust that my sample trade goods will be acceptable.
Expect the League Trade vessel "Maximus", commanded by Henchman Paracletus, who has my voice in trade matters, to arrive within the day.

By my hand, this day, on board Leviathan
Ishmael
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 02:38:15 am »

I seem to have...a problem.
My Dirigible, The Vigilent Eye, needs a few more bits a parts. As I and a few of my crewmen were upgradeing the engine, we seemed to have not gotten the right amount of parts need to do the job. By the time we noticed, the engine upgrade was already in full progression. If you could kindly trade with us approximetly fiftey forged bars of a steel alloy, that should be sufficient. Please specify in your response what you will need in return for your services. I will be sending in three balloons once I have word from you. This is very important to me, so please, act quickly.

And, I would like to know of the newest weapons that you have aqquired so that I may inspect and perhaps purchase them.

A good day to you,
                Mr. Shank

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 03:32:23 am »

Transmissions from the Free Port of Salvage:

.-.-.-..-.-.-.---.--.-..-.-.--.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.---.--....-.--.
ATTN: Ishmael

Dockmaster Freeman has reported that your ship has successfully been anchored and entered in the registry.  As for our transaction, we have sent an order down to the foundry to begin casting and the first pallets should be ready for shipment by morning.  Since quantity was not specified, we have estimated the first parcel at one tonne. If more material is required, please do let us know.  According to my acquisitions officer, your ship was carrying two PoincarĂ© energy sifters that we will be taking as initial payment.  Your initial and subsequent purchases are to be found in the Warehouse District and access can be gained at all hours by notifying the Customs House in the Dockyard.  Thank you for your business.

Sterling Lawson
Free Port of Salvage

.---.--.-..-.--..-.--..-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-..--...--.-.-.-..--..-.--

ATTN: Captain of the airship Vigilant Eye

Your transmission has been received and clearance to dock is being processed as an emergency coupling.  This situation will require payment of a nominal fee, due before release of vessel.  Please remain outside of of Salvage airspace until notified. Be aware that your further requests have been forwarded to the Merchant Chacellory for approval.

Dockmaster Orson Freeman
Salvage Dockyards

\\\

Your request for fifty bars of steel alloy has been approved.  In lieu of an offer for barter, the price of your shipment will be set at 500 Aeros or the equivalent in another currency.  Upon docking, your crew will be directed as to where payments may be made and where the cargo will be stored. 

Inquiries about warfare technology may be made in the Merchant District once docking has been completed.

Thank you for your business.

Sterling Lawson
Free Port of Salvage

END TRANSMISSIONS
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 05:42:30 am »

Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 03:03:32 pm »

*pauses to look at the conveniently placed map*

Level four hm? Good as any place to start.

*one lift ride and an hour's wandering later*

....Bugger, how am I supposed to find anything in this mess?
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 03:23:53 pm »

I thank you for this opportunity,
My ships are on the way and will be ready to dock at your signal. They will carry the 500 aeros you asked for.

Thank you again,
Sir Francis Miller
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 08:34:35 pm »

To the attention of:
Sterling Lawson
Free Port of Salvage

Message follows :-

Greeting and Salutations from the League of Ishmael, on behalf of Ishmael, himself, I am Henchmah Paracletus, and I speak with authority from the League.
  My metallurgists aboard Maximus have examined the sample alloy you have provided us, and I compliment your city foundrymen on the quality of the metal.
  I am therefore prepared to offer the following proposition. We would welcome a permanent presence in your city for one of our agents, acting as a trade-agent for us. 
We would wish you to grant a League trading vessel dockage rights one every fortnight. We would then accept and pay for in good, 50 tonnes of the same alloy you have produced. In payment we could offer either useful goods, or materials of value.
 I would suggest the following as a basis for inital negotiations.

- Medicines  - the Legaue has a variety of remedies and vaccines, proof against many illnesses, but most specifically, against the dread Airship fever.
- Communication devices - Aetheric Insponders, which allow for secure and instantaneous commiocations across any distance.
- Goldbeater Liquid, a much improved sealant for the hull fabric of an airship, flexible, durable, and no lift-gas loss,by the tun
- Weaponry
     - Martini-Snyder repeating rifles, using a variant of Nemo's electric ball. 10 shots before reload, Phlogiston based power source, 10 to a case, with 1000
  rounds per rifle. bayonet and base sight included
     -Webley-SmytheHamster repeating pistols, similar to above, 10 per case, with 1000 rounds per.
- Luxury Goods - rare spices from the western Sea Spice Islands, by the hundred-weight

I would suggest that a each of these items has a value against 1 tonne of alloy, and therefore, would allow you to vary trade by trade, according to your market needs. As an example, 50 Tonnes of alloy could equal 10 cases of Medicine, 10 cases of Rifles, 10 cases of Pistols  and 20 tuns of Goldbeater Liquid.

Medicine  -  1 case  of 2000 units of type needed per tonne of alloy
  Communication devices - 1 case of 80 per tonne of alloy 
  Goldbeater Liquid - 10 tun per tonne of alloy
  Martini-Snyder repeating rifles - 10 cases per toone of alloy   
  Webley-SmytheHamster repeating pistols - 10 cases per tonne of alloy
  Spices - 1 hundredweight per tone of alloy

If these items are not to your needs, please let me know what goods you would desire, and I will endeavour to arrange their procurement.

As a parting note, allow me to bequeath these gifts on you as a token of thanks for your hospitality.
  For your master Damek Kral, a matched pair of Webley-HamsterSmythe dueling pistols, adapted to Nemo's electric ball
  For yourself,  a cunningly wrought dagger of Wootz watered steel, hafted in ancient ivory.

I remain at your service, and await your reply
Paracletus, Henchman for Trade, League of Ishmael

fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 11:58:11 pm »

Transmission from the Free Port of Salvage:

.-..-.-..-.-.-...-.-.--.-.----.-....-.-.-.-.--..--..-..--

Clearance has been granted for three non-rigid craft on the starboard platform.  An anchor crew will be waiting.  The cargo you require will be on hold for you at time of landing.  Release of cargo and ships pending payment.

Orson Freeman
Salvage Dockyards

END TRANSMISSION

fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 12:24:23 am »

From the Offices of His Lordship Kral, Captain of the Free Port of Salvage

Greetings Ishmael,

My associate, Mr. Lawson, delivered to my hands your request for a permanent agent on my city.  I understand we have recently filled an order to your satisfaction and you wish to continue our dealings, and this pleases me.  I do have three conditions of my own for you to agree to. 

-Your trade agent will be hosted in lodgings of my choosing in a quarter of the city also of my choosing.

-He will not be allowed personal communications device, but will have access to any city-owned aethercom he wishes at any time.

-Your agent will be issued a security transit pass allowing him into any sector I deem he may have legitimate business in.  He will not be allowed to the Dockyards without prearranged clearance through me.

You are a powerful man, my friend, as I have heard of your recent demonstration.  You of course understand my concern for the safety of my city and vessel and my citizens.  These measures are solely for their protection.

Mr. Lawson tells me he will agree to your terms of trade.  We seek medical supplies, especially serum for Debye's disease; Gold-beaters' oil; and luxury items (spices, alcohols, etc). 

Take care my friend and I await the announcement of the arrival of your agent.

DK
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 02:24:27 am »

From the hand of Ishmael -

My dear Captain Kral, I see no impediment posed by your conditions, they are fair and reasonable in the extreme.

To that end, I will, once again send unto you Henchman Paracletus, who, it may be said, had nothing but the sincerest praise for your city.
He will arrive on the next League tradeship, and save for personal effects, will carry no devices, hidden or otherwise, and likewise will be unarmed. I do believe that he will work most admirably with your Mr.Lawson, and  that this relationship will be beneficial to both our endeavours.

As you say, some small power is at my disposal, but power like any other tool, must be stewarded and wisely used, lest it corrupt the soul.
I would rather hold my power in obeissance, until that dies irae that it be needed. I prefer to prosper both in goods and influence by the simple acts of honest trade, goodwill, and great good works.

To your request of trade. -  While there is no know perfect serum for Debye's disease, we do posess two serums against it, one which can prevent it in
its more severe forms to a great extent in the population (to the degree of 70%, I am assured), as well as a second, that, administered after infection, can reduce the symptoms, and greatly reduce the time abed in convalescence. 
   As a gesture of goodwill, I will send along today,  by fast steam flyer, a supply of both serums suffcient to begin the effective treatment of your population.  Accept this as a gift to your city for the good of its peoples. This allow me to do as my small part to help rid you of this foul plague and may the Eye-that-Sees  shield your city  from pestilence.

May this herald the beginning of trade most beneficial and prosperous for us all. Please advise me at the once, of arrival of the serums, and later, of my agent, Paracletus.

This day, by my hand, aboard Leviathan
Ishmael
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 08:54:35 am »

After a fire in the greenhouse district, the city state of cumulipolis (which resides in the UFAS) is in dire need of crops until they get things up and running. What do you wish from us, that we could trade?
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 07:24:59 pm »

Dr. Kharbana stepped off the lift at Crew Deck and walked toward the polished bronze exterior of the building known as 'The Spine'.  It traverses most of the decks in Salvage and played host to the offices of the military and, on this deck, the home and office of Damek Kral.  She flashed her security pass to the guards as she entered the lobby and took another lift to Kral's offices.

When she entered the room, she noticed someone else waiting on a couch nearby.  It was the ugly half-woman from the mining sector of the Straddle, Odessa something-or-other.  The woman's mechanical limbs vented steam and leaked lubricant onto the leather of the couch she sat on.  Captain-Mayor Kral was also already present in the room.  He had been talking with that woman before Neelam had entered.  Now he turned to Neelam.

"Good evening, Doctor, I am happy to see that you were able to make it up on such short notice."

"Good evening, Captain-Mayor.  The tube message said it was important, but did not mention why."

"Yes.. I need to consult with you on a transmission we received a few hours ago.  It is from an UFAS city called Cumulipolis.  It seems they had an accident that destroyed their food crops.  They are asking for our assistance by selling them food."

"That is simply not possible.  Salvage grows only a small surplus of food, not nearly enough to trade to feed an aircity.  You know that, Captain-Mayor."

Damek smiled, stood, and walked around his desk to against its front.  Neelam's own expression remained clinically professional.

"Of course, I do, my good Doctor.  I would sooner drive Salvage into the sea than think about starving my own to feed another.  That is why I have a plan.  Second Foreman Coleman, here, says that the scraper arm and machinery could be converted to collect and sift vegetable matter from the surface in half a day.  The city is currently a day's journey from the Austro-Hungarian agricultural center.  What we take from there could more than feed a crippled aircity and we stand to earn a ransom from them in this emergency situation.  What do you think?"

"Other than facing possible retaliation from Austria's Queen, I think it would be possible to harvest plant matter in this way.  There would be no way to sort the plants collected though and it is possible that they could become contaminated by noxious plant matter."

"That is not our concern.  If Cumulipolis has to turn to us for food because its own allies either refuse or cannot provide aid, then their choice is simple.  They either take their chances with food that may or may not be contaminated, or they starve."

"Yes, Captain-Mayor.  I will do what is in my power to benefit our city."

"Good, when the collection begin, have your staff prepare it into creamed foodstock and seal it in barrels for transport.  Good night, Doctor."

"Yes, Captain-Mayor."

Neelam turned and left the room, heading for the lifts that would carry her down to the Residential District and her apartments at its center.
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 07:32:48 pm »

COMMUNIQUE FROM OBSCURE TO THE FREE PORT CITY OF SALVAGE

Dear Sir/Madam,

We, Elders of OBSCURE, hereby request free mooring rights for the airships Peril and Spectre.  The location and free-trade character of your Port appeal to our needs, and as such we should occasionally wish to make supplies at your installation.

Yours Faithfully,

OBSCURE
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 08:20:30 pm »

The rattle of pipes and hiss of air alerted the secretary of an incoming message on the pneumatic.  ssssssss FWOOT!  Removing the paper, she replaced the cannister in the tube.  Checking the recipient, she flipped a toggle and the intercom to Orson Freeman's office atop the control tower crackled to life.

"Sir, incoming request from the telecom marked important."

A hollow, tinny voice whispered from the speaker.  "Bring it in please, Miss Smythe."

The secretary took the paper and entered Orson's office, leaving it on the desk for him to read.  Orson looked over the message:

COMMUNIQUE FROM OBSCURE TO THE FREE PORT CITY OF SALVAGE

Dear Sir/Madam,

We, Elders of OBSCURE, hereby request free mooring rights for the airships Peril and Spectre.  The location and free-trade character of your Port appeal to our needs, and as such we should occasionally wish to make supplies at your installation.

Yours Faithfully,

OBSCURE

"Free mooring?  Preposterous!  Do they expect us to just give them two anchor sites for free?  I'll tell you what I'll give them for free.. a couple of shells from the cannon."  Orson's mouth lifted briefly into a crooked smile as he envisioned the flaming wreckage of burning airships falling from the sky.  Then he let out a deep breath and returned to himself.  Scribbling out a short note, he folded it and set it hurdling down the tubes to central telecom.

ATTN: OBSCURE

The Free Port of Salvage welcomes you and we are eager to provide anchors for the ships Peril and Spectre at our normal moorage fee.  While limited space precludes the reservation of anchor sites, our air controllers will be notified to give precedence to your vessels.

Orson Freeman
Salvage Dockyards
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 08:32:34 pm »

Ottens was wandering the brass hallways of the Floating City.  Every day was like a new adventure in this ancient wonder.  Behind every door lay a gateway to new discoveries.  How much he adored this place, this great seat upon heaven's tears, hooving peacefully over the violent waters of the Indian Ocean.  He made for the lift at the end of the hall, only to be surprised by an uniformed aide exitting the cabin that made a buggering noise when it halted at a floor.  Ottens made a mental note to himself to have that repaired.  He aide handed him a paper, and Ottens nodded that he could distance himself.  The message read:

ATTN: OBSCURE

The Free Port of Salvage welcomes you and we are eager to provide anchors for the ships Peril and Spectre at our normal moorage fee.  While limited space precludes the reservation of anchor sites, our air controllers will be notified to give precedence to your vessels.

Orson Freeman
Salvage Dockyards

Disappointed, though of course hardly surpised, at the Port's refusal to reserve sites for free mooring for OBSCURE's airships, Ottens dismissed the "eagerness" of this Mr. Freeman as nothing but formality.  He was well aware of the Free Port's disliking for OBSCURE, and perhaps that was mostly to blame on his Council's attitude . . . yet a Port naming themselves "Salvage" was inviting of such attitude.  Ottens entered the lift cabin and commanded it to ascend to the City's upper levels where he would share the news with his fellow Elders and inform about this "Orson Freeman" character . . .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: