The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:50:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archived: Some thoughts on where we could take the "Council Wars" forum RPG..  (Read 6581 times)
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 02:21:24 pm »

It is not difficult to trace a character's whereabouts in the The Free Port of Salvage and Brass Goggles threads, however when on the side characters turn up at entirely different places, this creates an obvious complication.  Two solutions have been raised:

1) To allow characters to be at different places at supposedly different times;
2) Allowing characters only to be at one place at the same (real) time.

While indeed the second option somewhat restricts one character's movements I feel that this would be greatly preferable for it allows much clearer interaction and a much more interesting story-line.  An option would be that at the closing of each post a player, if leaving the present location, indicates their destination so that others may trace that character's whereabouts and may contact that character per telegram or other form of communication in the thread of destination, or may even go there themselves to contact the other.

I suggest that we settle upon, for the time being at least, two places of free interaction:

1) The Free Port City of Salvage
2) Brass Goggles gentlemen's club  (and I suggest that this place actually be located somewhere inside Salvage so that it's simpler to switch between locations).

Preferably, these two threads be stickyfied.

Of course players can still write for their characters in other, somewhat more restricted, threads (for example: only Members of the OBSCURE are ought to post in the OBSCURE Travel Journal), or announce new inventions, new "things" in separate threads (for example: HAC's To The Councils [ . . .] and Dohickey's The 100), but these writings do not directly affect role-playing in the two "main" threads. Either they announce new elements that may be introduced in the actual role-playing (although these threads are largely for in-character posting) or they offer background stories to specific characters.

And perhaps sometime in the near future a new location may become another focus of character interaction, which can then be added to our current two.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 02:23:42 pm by Ottens » Logged
Luminous Grey
Gunner
United States United States

The sky outside is...

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 05:13:28 pm »

That sounds like a reasonable system. If that's the case, then I suppose we could somewhat classify the council threads and such as free of an actual timeline. Council posts could be effected by the free RP threads, but do not necessarily have to take place at the same time. That way, we keep some sense of order in the real time events, but still allow for side communication.

Yeah, that works.

So I like to get high off the dust on the 170-year-old books in the library. What of it?
Proud Member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 09:27:36 pm »

So.
1) You can be able to control NPC's from anywhere (obviously).
2) You can use the radio to talk to people in different places.
3) You can only post in one place at a time, unless you say your moving.

Am I right?

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 10:05:49 pm »

More or less, with the council threads sorta taking place somewhat out of continuity, but affected by how things are played.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 10:10:38 pm »

3) You can only post in one place at a time, unless you say your moving.

I agree wtih Lazaras..  in threads like Otten's journal, since no specific time is given, nor any real time interactions, can be run simultaneously to the concrete locations (Salvage, Libertine, BG club).

The Iron Quay, while somewhat concrete, seems to be floating in space at the moment, so it isn't taken to have a temporal connection to the other locations. (though, it may be decided to plant it down somewhere later).

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

Okay.

I was just posting in the Free Port City of Salvage (so exciting), and I noticed that Mr. Ottens posted his location along with the characters name that he was talking for. I believe that will work and I did follow suit.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 10:52:11 pm »

Suppose its not a requirement, but if you want, go ahead.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: