The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:28:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archived: Some thoughts on where we could take the "Council Wars" forum RPG..  (Read 6620 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« on: March 15, 2007, 02:06:05 am »

I've been enjoying the posting here, and have been thinking on the "Council Wars" ideas that have been tossed around here.
Personally I find that a persona based RPG is far more rewarding (yes, I enjoy being the Nemo-esque power unto oneself style of character, as you may have noticed <G>), so here's my proposal for a proposal (huh?)

I'd be willing to sit down and flesh out an overall "world scenario" for this as well as some basic rules and a format that could be used to play this here in the Roleplaying (or a sub-forum) in a better format that simple "he who gets the most posts wins" format.
I have some basic ideas and would be willing to not only set it up, but help run it, if need be..(retirement brings a bit of free time, <G>)

In a nutshell, I see the world we play in as  the basic Victorian/Verne/Steampunk setting, but with the addition of city-states that have formed independantly of nations. Some are floating "air cities" some are islands , etc. The Nations of the world are not always agreeable to having the free citoes exist, which has led to the formation of the Councils. These exist for trading/negotioating with, and if need be batlling the major Nations. There is room for the PIRATES type of league, (everyone needs freebooters, just to keep you on your toes), as well, as my "Ishmael", the typical fictional villain/non-villain/independant power..

I'm sure this could be set up as a daily turn based RPG for major events, with more lcoal things like trading being discussed and workd out what are now the indvidual Council threads. Witha  basic rule set, this coul dbe a workable thing..

So, Are ye willing?

Let me know, Yea, or Nay, and if you have ideas/thoughts or juts wnat to help out, let me know..

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:30:47 pm by Dohickey » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Luminous Grey
Gunner
United States United States

The sky outside is...

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 03:38:26 am »

Actually, that's the type of RPG I'm more used to. The best part of this is that we can all work towards the world-building process, which is half the fun of writing.

Na ja, that sounds like a very good direction for this to go in. I don't have any particularly useful ideas right now, but I, for one, support the endeavor.

So I like to get high off the dust on the 170-year-old books in the library. What of it?
Proud Member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S.
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 03:58:26 am »

If I can keep my creation and my ability to play it as my character (though I may still decide on a more singular person to also play).  I'm absolutely for it.  Flesh out an area to start and let some versed world builders loose on the hinterlands as we progress.  Sounds very promising.

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
mr gilbert flint
Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 07:10:16 am »

never played like this before but will give it a go.must say harold you do have a spiffing way of laying down the words.

I'M THE DANDY SKYWAY MAN(almost adam and the ants)
member of the P.I.R.A.T.E.S council
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:25:08 am »

The concept of "Council Wars" allows that players within Councils may role-play in whatever manner they find suiting.  Of course we all enjoy conversation in Victorian prose and battle in gentlemenly manners, however I would not want to enforce a certain type of role-playing upon all players.  That said, I must also admit I would welcome diversity in role-playing amongst the different Councils, although the original concept did not include role-playing; the basic framework of the Game should remain "pure", that is: a game that does not require role-playing in a traditional sense.  However, diversity is welcomed and indeed encouraged.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:39:24 pm by Ottens » Logged
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

A Most Improper Victorian Lady

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 02:03:36 pm »

I would also like to add my support for the idea of introducing roleplay elements to the game.
Lasairfion
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 03:43:40 pm »

Forum RPGs work very well. You can even get modifications for many forums that will allow character icon choices, group setting, money.. all sorts of things.

One of the anime based forums I was part of has a very extended RPG. It's a lot of work though. It took the best part of three months setting up, and a lot of continual development since then. But it is rather big.  It uses the Freeform style, where there is no specific timing or 'days' to worry about.

You do need a lot of very specific rules. And we did incorporate some sort of system where those joining up promised to take part on more than just the odd occasion before their account got approved.

Of course I don't wish to put anyone off. I might point out that the RPG ran very well as a sub-board for about 6 months with a lot less rules and complications, But as it got bigger we decided to move it to its own forum, and set some things in stone (or perhaps brass, lol).

However you do it, I hope it comes off well.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 03:33:51 pm »

Forum RPGs work very well. You can even get modifications for many forums that will allow character icon choices, group setting, money.. all sorts of things.

One of the anime based forums I was part of has a very extended RPG. It's a lot of work though. It took the best part of three months setting up, and a lot of continual development since then. But it is rather big.  It uses the Freeform style, where there is no specific timing or 'days' to worry about.

You do need a lot of very specific rules. And we did incorporate some sort of system where those joining up promised to take part on more than just the odd occasion before their account got approved.

Of course I don't wish to put anyone off. I might point out that the RPG ran very well as a sub-board for about 6 months with a lot less rules and complications, But as it got bigger we decided to move it to its own forum, and set some things in stone (or perhaps brass, lol).

However you do it, I hope it comes off well.

Yes, but it will take a lot of work as you said, so the sooner started the better

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 04:45:21 pm »

Role-playing elements seem to have been delightfully introduced and I can say that it pleases me.Grin

Yet we may want to decide upon a specific setting as to avoid confusion.  Mr "HAC" (or shall you prefer to be referred to as "Ishmael"?Wink), I believe your proposal to be both practical and enjoyable:  a Victorian-Steampunk world in which fictional realms exists, remiscent of the LoEG's New Traveller's Almanac.  Indeed, I have chosen to occassionally quote from the Almanac in the OBSCURE Travel Journal, which sets a world in which the British Empire flourishes, presumably some time around the year 1900, the air is dominated by grand airships and there exist remote isles and realms yet to be discovered.  Air-states have united in a Federation; PIRATES spread fear into the hearts of air travellers; Ishmael's Leviathan roars in the skies; an unknown threat glooms in obscurity.  This is adventure!

I do not believe however, that we should over-complicate matters by introducing monetary elements the like. Also I don't see the need for any rules besides the obvious "do not kill other people's characters".

In regard to "war":  I'm not a big fan of the "whoever gets the most posts wins" either, but presently I cannot think of a more practical solution.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 05:02:15 pm »

Im not much for the "most posts" method myself. But until we get a better system in place, it will have to do.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 06:51:41 pm »

Role-playing elements seem to have been delightfully introduced and I can say that it pleases me.Grin

Yet we may want to decide upon a specific setting as to avoid confusion.  Mr "HAC" (or shall you prefer to be referred to as "Ishmael"?Wink), I believe your proposal to be both practical and enjoyable:  a Victorian-Steampunk world in which fictional realms exists, remiscent of the LoEG's New Traveller's Almanac.  Indeed, I have chosen to occassionally quote from the Almanac in the OBSCURE Travel Journal, which sets a world in which the British Empire flourishes, presumably some time around the year 1900, the air is dominated by grand airships and there exist remote isles and realms yet to be discovered.  Air-states have united in a Federation; PIRATES spread fear into the hearts of air travellers; Ishmael's Leviathan roars in the skies; an unknown threat glooms in obscurity.  This is adventure!

I do not believe however, that we should over-complicate matters by introducing monetary elements the like. Also I don't see the need for any rules besides the obvious "do not kill other people's characters".

In regard to "war":  I'm not a big fan of the "whoever gets the most posts wins" either, but presently I cannot think of a more practical solution.

Ah my dear Ottens, there you have it in a nutshell. (and yes, you ma "Call me Ishmael"  Wink ) I think that the Portrayal sub-forum has started to evolve nicely since a few started posting "in character".   Once you start seeing specific charatcers evolve, and interacting , then you have the start of a very successful RPG. I must say that I think your "travels' is an excellnt way to provide depth and back-story, and I may look at a similar thing.
  To my mind, I agree, the setting we have is Victorian Steampunk, where technological city-states have formed apart from the old world land based empires.  It was an interesting turn when the Free-Port City turned up here, and then all of a sudden, you had interactions that became part of the storyline.
 Personally, I think that the creation of a world, and its history, and then watching charatcers eveolve and interact is the best part of RPG play. Battles are fun, but building a persona that relates to the other personas in the game, and having those relationshps evolve and change, and contribute to the story line at the same time is fascinating.
  As an aside, I modelled Ishamel loosely on Vern'es Nemo, I envsion a character of genius and power, haunted by a desire for what he would call "vengenace" against some real or imagined foe, yet driven by a desire to be a force for the good.  The internal conflict and how it could drive such a character is what makes that kind of role interesting.  I can see a bit of the old Mogul Emperors in him, vastly powerful, yet capricious as well, able to be extravagantly generous, and yet cruel, often in the same breath.
 To my mind, your character calls up a gentleman, with perhaps some darker connections? I am remended of the Cornish gentry who dabbled in smuggling, and shipwrecking.
 As far as wars, thats a very hard thing to do, as you have no way of reconciling or even determining relative strengths of combatants. Even in something as simple as the old BBS game Tradewars, emphasis was on trade, and battles were not necessarily the best way to get anywhere.   I'm still trying to come up with an diea thats better than the post count method..
 So, here;s to all of us, and let the  game go on!

Cheers
Harold
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 02:12:12 am »

I think our settings are starting to formalize.  Besides Salvage, the Libertine Isle provide a 'place to be' as well as the mysterious OBSCURE base.  As far as a time-setting, any murky rendition of the late 19th century is fine, even small adjustments to basic history.  The settings should also not be limited to DM'd locations like Salvage, either.  A landing in Bombay to ransack a museum can be used to open temporary (non-monitored) settings for others to join and deepen the plot.

And while my interests lay in the persona play, I do wish to express my anticipation of the outbreak of the Council Wars.  I understand the pause whilst deciding a good system to handle it, but I'm still excited to watch the massive face-off between navies.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 02:54:05 am »

One thing that seems to be a good idea is the way that our Ottens has set up his OBSCURE thread. The main OBSCURE thread is for council doings, and a Journal thread by the founder for detail, and backstory. I will adopt that, methionks (and a tip of the hat to Ottens for an excellent idea)
 As far as the Council Wars, we need to work out a system for what happens to the winners and losers, and allow for thos who do not wsih to fight, not to. How would one reconcile, say an engagement between say Mr Lazarus Endeavour at 60m Length and 2500 Tons, and My Ishmael's Leviathan at 156M and 7100 tons (modelled her onthe old german crusier Emden)?  Each would have its own set of advantages, eg. maneuverability vs firepower. What does the loser lose, and the winer gain?

Ah, food for thought..
Cheers
Harold
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 03:54:22 am »

I agree that Ottens has set up a nice organization for his posting, though I'd not follow suit, seeing as my story limits me mostly to my own thread (though not totally, as I'll reveal soon enough).  My own auxiliary thread of minor characters, I hope, has been useful in keeping track names and behaviors.

I understand the dilemma with fighting, as it stands.  I do not wish for this to dwindle into D&D style tomes of statistics that rob the game of its spontaneity and fluid nature.  Those not wishing to participate in combat directly, I would say, have the option of not being forced.  Others may not be allowed, in general, to participate until a satisfactory system is agreed upon.  How would most single airships fair against the entire city of Salvage with it navy, shields, and artillary protecting it?  Especially when damage assignment seems more a whim of each author.

I liked the online dice idea, leaving things to chance, but it still seems to require arbitrary definitions of how many are rolled for a machine gun versus a trans-aether singularity cannon.  Huh  Maybe a thread can be dedicated solely to listing weapons and agreeing upon these arbitrary details.  Of course, we would lose the ability to surprise foes with hidden weapons (OOC), butit might also prove a boon and just workable enough to begin physical quarreling...

Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 04:11:08 am »

Well most of it should be common sense type affairs, particularly when its man on man encounters. For small scale consent seems to work just fine. As for the larger fleet v fleet, I suggest Pm discussions between the combatants on where they want the fight to go would be in order.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 11:59:42 pm »

Of course, we would lose the ability to surprise foes with hidden weapons (OOC), butit might also prove a boon and just workable enough to begin physical quarreling...

Ahh yes, but I suppose this would only make if more fair.
Preventing any god like surprises.
[ex.]
"The whole of my ship out of no where turns into a cannon and disintegrates your entire fleet!!"

We wouldnt want that to happen would we??
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 02:36:48 am »

I presented a superior method in the "Dueling thread" and have several other methods which should prove to be effective ready for other situations if needed.

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 01:17:42 am »

I suppose this may be a little nitpicky, but I think we need a solid system for keeping track of character's locations. I haven't noticed this in particular, but at the moment it is possible that one could post in several in-character threads at once. Now, if this is simply posting as radio communication, that's all right. But I think it would be useful if we could figure out where characters are at any given moment. Wouldn't it be embarassing to try to have a conversation with someone who isn't actually there?

I'm not sure if there's any good system for this, other than mentally keeping track of it, and perhaps I'm being a bit simple about this whole thing. Just thought I'd mention it. Please tell me if what I'm asking makes no sense or is pointless.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 01:23:30 am »

Well Lazaras has the excuse of being in Salvage, yet I also have to puppet about the club's NPC's and such.
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 01:29:58 am »

Indeed, many of us are in or around Salvage right now (which really is great fun with the crash situation at hand!). NPCs are another matter anyway. I just meant it would seem odd if say, an main character was seen in Salvage, but at the same time was posting in Brass Goggles or a council thread, or something like that.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 01:33:06 am »

Well it might help in some cases for there to be notes on WHEN each thread takes place as a council might be meeting on x time on x day, but event y might be happening in salvage on z day.
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 01:34:08 am »

Options...

1) people can only play in one place at a time.  It works, but its very limiting.

2) people can play in all different palces at once, as long as their posts make it clear that the actions are happening at different times (morning in Salvage, night at the gents club). 

Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 01:38:12 am »

True, true. Well, despite the first option being limiting, I think it would make things the least confusing, though that's just me. If the second option were in play, one would have to be sure that any major events happening at an earlier time have no bearing on events in another place at a later time, because if the subsequent effects cause any changes in a characters status, then you develop continuity issues. Perhaps I'm just being silly, but I hate inconsitencies/plot holes.
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 01:45:33 am »

I do too (even though a snag earlier means I have to edit in a large gap).  It also makes things realistic for players if their character only has a mono existence as well.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 01:03:45 pm »

i always read these as though they are episodes on a non-continuous storyline.

you can be in the gentlemen's club, salvage, on the airship, all at the same time because they don't have to necessarily be "the same time"

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: