The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 06:56:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Gears/Cogs  (Read 4845 times)
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« on: January 26, 2008, 09:03:49 pm »

*Cue rant-like typing*
I.Want.Metal.Gears.
(*dorkgiggle*metal gear...)
I know the plastic ones work fine,it`s an aesthetic thing.The look of metal ones is just better to me,especially given I want to make all sorts of accessories and such in which they would be visible;and a blue plastic gear just wouldn`t look near as cool.
Anyone aware of places with actual metal ones?Brass or not..Somehow all my searches only turn up plastic.

Danke!

H.I.M.,Empress Kirix,Steam Faerie,Alchemical Creation
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:13:20 pm »

The cheap ($8US) IKEA DEKAD alarm clock has a nice assortment of brass gears, etc. and is (generally) at least as inexpensive as supply vendors Smiley

I have never really done eBay, but I am told that there are frequently batches of clock/watch parts for sale there as well.

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:19:44 pm »

The cheap ($8US) IKEA DEKAD alarm clock has a nice assortment of brass gears, etc. and is (generally) at least as inexpensive as supply vendors Smiley

I have never really done eBay, but I am told that there are frequently batches of clock/watch parts for sale there as well.
As ever,it`s you Sir Harlock,clever man you.
I`d tried looking at cheap clocks,but most of them are filled with plastic blasphemy. Grin
Thank you!
sir jons de sloop
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:36:37 pm »

im going to get some etched out of brass so i can have them at lots of sizes and types thers a company called 4d that does it
Wickerman
Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:47:56 pm »

What are you looking for? I have a collection of tiny watch parts I could trade.

"We may have lost the war, but we haven't lost our sense of humor. Even when we lose a lung, a spleen, a bladder, thirty-five feet of small intestine, two legs, and our ability to reproduce all in the name of the south, do we EVER LOSE OUR SENSE OF HUMOR?!"
Commander Obadiah
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

Gatherer of Misguided Inventions

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 05:10:11 am »

I browse the internet auction sites, looking for old, windup clocks to disembowel. Also, I recently delved into my father's Triumph Thunderbird 900's engine cases and replaced the starter clutch. Wow, but are the gears in there absolutely gorgeous!

Commander C. Obadiah

The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:48:02 pm »

You who want gears go here
http://mad-salvager.squarespace.com/sprockets-gears-and-gauges/
The seller is trustworthy I received my "winter evening project" from the website owner a few days ago Cheesy

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 01:02:08 pm »

give this a go...http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=clock+movement&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&srchdesc=n&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort
Or you could just paint the blue plastic ones to look metallic.... and yes...i get it...(where is snake BTW Tongue)

cheers!

Captain MacMorrigan
Officer

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:14:50 am »

I know this is old, but it seemed a shame to start a new one when there was already one that fit so well.

I have had issues finding gears as well.  Ebay seems to be the best source of them.  Hardly anyone seems to make them anymore. Those that do seem to all be made for bicycles, and too large to incorporate into anything portable.

I am wondering if any new sources have turned up beyond the ones already mentioned here?

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people!"--Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead"
Taillte
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 01:07:21 am »

ebay.

I got a load of them on ebay for just a few dollars.
twilightbanana
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:00:59 am »

For decorative (non-functional) gears and watch parts you can try Rings & Things. A search for 'gear' turns up plenty of results.
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 08:24:32 am »

they look cool, also when you scroll the page it looks like they are rotating!

Captain MacMorrigan
Officer

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 12:57:52 pm »

For decorative (non-functional) gears and watch parts you can try Rings & Things. A search for 'gear' turns up plenty of results.

Oooh!  Thank you.  Although with some of them being upwards or $4 each, it seems a little steep, but hey, they've got a good variety, not only of styles, but of colors and materials.  If there is something very specific I need for a project, I now have that search bookmarked.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: