The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 08:19:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket Watch Repair  (Read 6185 times)
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 02:07:08 am »

Its just a matter of start up costs, still I am considering it

I am a freak in control not a control freak
Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 03:08:41 am »

I recently had a chat with an ex-watchmaker friend. Ex-watchmaker because apparently when Hong Kong reverted to China, a large number of Chinese watchmakers set up shop in Canada sending remuneration rates for labour plummeting - at least for mid- to high-end electronic repairs. No insult to their skill intended.

I had my Elgin repaired by a Turkish trained gentleman who, after losing money with a store front operation, has semi-retired and gone to a "back office" set up at much reduced rent. He now works because he wants to not has to.

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 07:14:06 pm »

I recently had a chat with an ex-watchmaker friend. Ex-watchmaker because apparently when Hong Kong reverted to China, a large number of Chinese watchmakers set up shop in Canada sending remuneration rates for labour plummeting - at least for mid- to high-end electronic repairs. No insult to their skill intended.

I had my Elgin repaired by a Turkish trained gentleman who, after losing money with a store front operation, has semi-retired and gone to a "back office" set up at much reduced rent. He now works because he wants to not has to.

Out here in Calgary, most of the watchmakers are either Indian, Middle Eastern, or European, so far we have not yet had an influx of Chinese watchmakers.. Time will tell, I suppose..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: