The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 01:55:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keyboards for the gentry  (Read 1650 times)
Emperor
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Divine Wind

« on: March 13, 2007, 08:39:24 pm »

From the Virtual Typewriter Museum:

The typewriter is one of the great inventions of 19th Century communications technology. Between the 1860s and 1920s engineers, inventors and even carpenters invested all their creativity in the development of the ultimate writing machine. This virtual museum, that is based on private collections of antique typewriters from around the world, is a tribute to their ingenuity.

www.typewritermuseum.org/index.html

A much overlooked technology which also provides us with the perfect keyboard interface for the machinery in wilder Steampunk imaginings.

Previous blog postings:

Typewriter Museum - and the Hansen Writing Ball
www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/?p=213

Mr Von Slatt’s Steampunk Keyboard
www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/?p=386

The Typewriter-Laptop
www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/?p=106
www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/?p=116

How to convert a typewriter to a keyboard
www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/?p=216

The Electriclerk
www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/?p=108

Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:21:12 am »

I have a small collection of antique typewriters. Nothing particularly valuable, but they are beautiful and functional. I do all my drafting on them. When writing in a word processor, I have a bad habit of revising as I write, thereby getting stuck on one sentence somewhere and losing steam (as it were). When I write on a typewriter, once it's on the page, it's too late, so I have to keep going. I find that it helps a lot. Besides, computers are just a passing fad, like automobiles and the electric light.

Regards,
Alexander

The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: