The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:25:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Book Club  (Read 4797 times)
fixed_expression
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 04:18:39 am »

If someone could upload a version that would be fantastic for me also; various searches of the interwebs were unproductive. Our tiny local library doesn't have it, and I would have to catch a damn bus just to get to the nearest bookshop. I was going to jsut give up, because I figured by the time I actually got ahold of the thing everybody would have finished reading it.
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 04:21:11 am »

I don't know, I've always thought discussion forums were pretty well suited to discussion. (Forgive me, I couldn't resist.)

But if people want, we could meet in #brassgoggles and discuss. I have found that when you require people to be in a particular place at a particular time to participate in something, it tends to limit membership. But if we can come to a consensus as to when, I don't object.

I also like the idea of having the discussion archived on the forums so that people who might not be actively following along can still have access to the discussion.

I don't know, I like the idea of real-time discussion, but there are also elements of doing it on the board that I like. What does everyone else think?

Regards,
Alexander

The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 07:18:26 am »

considering the fact that we are spanned across the globe, this forum would be the best location, I think.

I was supposed to participate in a James Joyce online reading with some people from LA, but their timing ended up making the phonecalls happen at 2:30 in the morning on tuesday mornings for me....   no good, and I had to quit.

So I would really prefer to at least start it here, if possibly we wanted to do an online chat or even a VoIP chat at some point, I would try to make it, but can't promise anything.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 12:03:11 pm »

I would have to agree with OHebel on that one. Not only because of our global span, but I (for one) work nights. That makes times that would seem perfectly logical for me right out of the question for others and vice versa.
Charlie Mortdecai
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 03:43:46 pm »

I say chaps
re: Difference Engine - does this help? I haven't read it myself, so maybe someone can confirm if this is the one.

republicapopulardacultura.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/the_difference_engine.pdf

Charlie
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2007, 12:03:39 pm »

I haven't read it yet either, but it looks right.

GREAT find man, thanks!
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2007, 01:20:57 pm »

i guess the only problem with that PDF is that it isn't divided into chapters.  For purposes of the book club, I may have to figure something out.
Bruyere
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2007, 05:48:51 am »

Let me know when you get to The Diamond Age.  I read it ages ago, but would like to do it again, with others!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: