The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 05:51:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Book Club  (Read 4795 times)
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« on: March 13, 2007, 11:13:24 am »

I hereby announce the formation of the Brassggoggles Steampunk Forum Book Club (BSFBC). Recommend classic steampunk books (it's okay if most of us have already read them, I'm sure nobody would mind reading a good book again), and we'll decide on one to read. We'll set a reading schedule and discuss the book as we go along, and when we are finished with it. If it is a success, we'll continue with another book.

I (selfservingly) suggest "The Difference Engine", but that's only because I just finished it, so I would only have to skim it to keep up with the discussion. Alternatives will be gladly suffered.

Get your reading glasses ready, and dust off your mechanoptic automatized literatization apparatus!

Regards,
Alexander

The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:18:17 am »

Solid idea man,

Although I am reading 4 books right now, I will try to participate as much as possible.  James Joyce can wait.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Dr. Welleston Geary
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:30:56 am »

I just picked up a copy of "Difference Engine".

I'm in.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:28:32 pm »

should that be our starting point?  or should we go back further?

I would actually be interested in starting from the roots and working our way forwards.

but then again, I am a Victorian Sci-Fi nut.

although DE is the definitive SP starting point I guess...
Dr. Welleston Geary
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:36:29 pm »

More interest will be attracted if the reader fare is a sampling, rather than chronological.

If I knew a book club was forming, but I had missed the first few in-order readings, I would be less interested in joining.

There's my tuppence.
RPFolkers
Officer

Swashbuckling Villain

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:45:47 pm »

An excellent idea. I'm joining.

"My god! That idea is so stupid it just might work!"
"Might work? Hell, it's way stupider than that!"
          -- Soap on a Rope
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 03:47:19 pm »

do we have anyone with a background in literature to manage it?
arcane
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:51:47 pm »

do we have anyone with a background in literature to manage it?

I seem to recall someone mentioning that they were a librarian, but I can't remember who it was exactly. fmra maybe?
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 03:56:44 pm »

wasnt cory the librarian?
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 03:58:42 pm »

wasnt cory the librarian?

There is a high probability that we are in the presence of multiple librarians. We may have stumbled into their hive. Be wary and keep your guard up, gentlemen.
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 12:59:44 am »

The hungry city-chronicles: THE post-apacolyptic steampunk series.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 01:15:01 am »

Yes, I'm a librarian Tongue  I'm not sure what you mean by managed, though.  I can find lots of material to suggest and maybe even develop some kind of order (rather than skipping around randomly), but let me know.  Otherwise, I'm all for it...  Oh, and I'll join in the bookclub, though I may skip DE (read it too recently and don't care to retrace so quickly). 

Let me know. Smiley

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 01:27:59 am »

I'll join, not a librarian, but I was a co-owner in a used bookstore for three years, for whatever that's worth.
It's been about 7 years since I read DE, so I wouldn't mind picking it up again.
Currently I'm about 1/2 way through A Nomad of the Time Streams, would definitely recommend it.

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 03:24:30 am »

Very well then! It seems there are enough takers to start drawing up a timetable.

Those of you who aren't keen on DE, fear not. We shall be through it quickly enough, and then we will open up for suggestions for the next book. I would like to address why I chose it as a starting point rather than Jules Verne or what have you. Essentially, I think it's accessible, popular, and representative of the actual "Steampunk" (with a capital S) genre. I also agree with what Dr. Geary said: that a sampling will be easier to drop in and out of than would be a "curriculum" or books. However, I do think that it will be beneficial to limit that to a minimum, so that one doesn't become lost after 5 books, when we're all linking themes back to books you're missed.

So to begin with, how fast will we be going through this? I'm sure we could all go through a chapter a day if we wanted to, but lets slow it down a bit so it's leisurely. How long should we give each chapter?

Finally, the way the club should be organized, I think, is that club business like choosing new books and such will go in this thread, and each book we do will have its own thread for discussion. Does that seem reasonable?

Regards,
Alexander
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 04:06:20 am »

Now I just have to dig through my veritable mountain of books and see if I can find DE in there somewhere  Shocked
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 04:19:46 am »

Sounds like a good idea Anachronist.  As for reading speed, one to two chapters a week, but variable depending on their actual size (some authors prefer tiny chapters, others, book-sized.)  Also, I changed my mind, I'll rerun DE, just so there's someone to talk about it with this time...
Dr. Welleston Geary
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 04:59:47 am »

So to begin with, how fast will we be going through this? I'm sure we could all go through a chapter a day if we wanted to, but lets slow it down a bit so it's leisurely. How long should we give each chapter?

I suggest:  We give ourselves a week for chapter 1, knowing that we'll all probably finish well before the mark.  The only caveat will be we all have to check in as to when we're actually finished.

That will provide a sort of benchmark as to how long each chapter may potentially take.

Possible?  Worthwhile?
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 05:10:04 am »

Sounds like a plan. We'll start Wednesday evening, to give everyone time to get the book if they don't have it. Read the first chapter at a pace that is reasonable for your life, and post in the Difference Engine thread here: http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=628.0 when you're finished. After that, we'll come up with a more concrete schedule.

Regards,
Alexander

EDIT: Added link to DE thread.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 05:21:55 am by Anachronist » Logged
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 09:57:21 am »

I'm currently reading From the Earth to the Moon, very funny and really good...perhaps in the future?

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 04:58:34 am »

I am certainly in!

(Must locate a copy of book, now.)

And as to 'From Earth to the Moon'?
Superb book.
I would be up for doing ANY Wells, ANY time.

<em>One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery and a minimum wage.</em>
-Aldous Huxley
teawithsteph
Officer

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 05:08:54 am »

This is a fantastic idea! I like being able to discuss books.

Having just found my copy of Difference Engine (under "G" by author alphabetical in the library, of which I only had to move a single chair to get to the right shelf) count me in for partcipating.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 11:20:37 am »

Does anyone know where I can get a full pdf of DE online?

I can't get it in english at the bookstores here in town.
templardrake
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 08:41:45 pm »

i think i can upload one for you, Messr. Wring, but the quality might not be as good as pdf (might be in txt or word format)
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 12:46:49 am »

that would be spectacular.  am not really looking for quality, just looking to be able to read it (i will buy the leatherbound once i return to the states).

but yeah man, if you wouldn't mind doing that, you would have one happy fanboy in germany...
JCSaint
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 03:02:44 am »

Having never read any steampunk books in the past and not really being a part of the beginnings of this conversation, please forgive a simple opinion.

Is this forum the best place to have a discussion on the book?  Might perhaps some kind of chatroom where we can get responses a bit quicker and in real time be preferable?  I don't have any suggestions so feel free to shoot me down but I thought I should bring up the idea.  Also, as I'm currently reading another book, 1 chapter a week would be easy enough to get me into this book club.

Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: