The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:58:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk my Spaceship: Steampunk elements of Serenity / Firefly  (Read 4917 times)
Otto Von Dieselbowser
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 02:50:04 pm »

... save cowboys instead of Foppish Gentlemen in England.

Ah, but what of these two examples?
To wit: Simon Tam

and "Badger".

Both of them putting on the gentlemanlt airs don't you think?
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 04:25:27 am »

Good call Otto.

Another consideration is the ball where Mal challenges the one guy to a duel. All the ladies done up in Victorian-esque ballgowns and Kaylee comes in wearing that garish western number. The gents were done up in a variety of military and formal attire. Some leaned toward european while soem were decidedly western. Very appropriate if you consider the state of high society on both sides of the pond in a more steampunk setting .

That's one of the joys of Firefly, though. There was (or could have been) a border planet for most any taste.
Zeke Warren
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 04:50:29 am »

Ah, quite right. I have been bested. Since the plot of firefly is "United States merges with China", there is a vein of western sense hidden beneath the Chinese, and their representation of refined Western civilization is the British Empire. I'd forgotten about that, since they never properly explored it in the series. If it had continued longer, they might have eventually been able to go to Londinium, the Parliament-housing Major Planet. Which would have been, yaknow, awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: