The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:18:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maps of Mars  (Read 4147 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« on: March 13, 2007, 06:34:34 am »

You must forgive me, good people, for potentially butchering a man's name but I have searched the Aethernet far and wide and have yet to run across Schappeli's 'cannali' on mars. Trueth be told I don't know if he was the one who penned these maps or if Percivel Lowel did the deed. Either way these are exquisitely beautiful maps of an alien landscape that I would thoroughly enjoy adding to my curio.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 06:56:47 am »

Well...

I suppose one could just go to nasa.gov and download a high-resolution map of Mars, THEN alter it in Photoshop/Gimp, perhaps though changing color levels to wash out colors and accentuate lines, which, in the end, could make a reasonable facsimile of these Cannali of Mars.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 07:06:08 am »

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be the same....

Edit: Not what I want as the resolution is too low to serve as a wall mounted map but...

http://www.karmastrology.com/images/mmap.jpg
This one:
http://www2.volstate.edu/tfarris/ASTR1030/MarsTalk/SchiapDblCanals.gif]http://www2.volstate.edu/tfarris/ASTR1030/MarsTalk/SchiapDblCanals.gif]http://www2.volstate.edu/tfarris/ASTR1030/MarsTalk/SchiapDblCanals.gif

Might serve better, but I dunno. Anyone who knows anything about printed material able to give input?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:16:20 am by Lazaras » Logged
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:24:57 am »

Then I guess one would have to sit down with that picture and covert it into a vector graphic, so scaling it larger would become vastly easier if the conversion was well-done. I hear it is a tedious undertaking, though.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 07:31:53 am »

I have a friend who does stained glass designs that is going to try his hand at cleaning this up and generally giving it a once over. A shame photobucket resized the image because here is what I'd done i na fit of creative tweaking.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/wdojinn/MarsCanali.png
Peachy Carnehan
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 08:58:33 pm »

Here is a map of Mars that I did recently. It serves as a backdrop of sorts for a large-scale model of a British aerial gunboat that I built from scratch. The model was based on similar vessels in Space: 1889.

I started with a high res download of a NASA image of Mars then revised it in Photoshop. The title graphics I created from numerous old 19th Century woodblock engravings composting images from different sources to create appropriate cartouches one of which bears the title of the map while the other lists the specs for the model ship – the HMS Abu Klea.

All of the maps locations are from sources as far a field as NASA and Edgar Rice Burroughs. I picked the ones that suited my fancy. I also revised the Space: 1889 logo to a less cartoonish look.

The map lines the bottom of the model’s case and it about 37 inches long.

Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:35:20 am »

I have an illuminated globe of mars, but it saddens me that it's so terribly modern - it's all blue and green and reds with the different altitudes.  Still, I can plug it in and it glows red in the dark - so it'll do for just now.  Wonder how you re-cover a globe...
The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 12:43:50 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Karte_Mars_Schiaparelli_MKL1888.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lowell_Mars_channels.jpg

Wikipedia to the rescue!

A true alternative subculture is one that not only questions the social status quo but poses viable solutions to some of the perceived underlying problems. Difference from the norm is not the same as superiority to the mainstream unless it can be  argued that the difference is positing a better way.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 02:52:19 am »

I believe the one I linked to in the first post is the highest resolution of the 1888 map of Mars so far. Working with a friend on material to add to the display I'm going to make of it for my curio(along the lines of government cover up, partial translations of Martian radio transmissions, and even(and this is if I can find something suitable) a piece of a Martian tentical.
Edisonade
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:56:55 am »

We actually have a fairly large book of topographical maps of mars at my University library, down in the basement collection (obviously where I spend most of my time).  I could try to smuggle out a scan for you if you would like.  The maps are fairly large, probably 1' 6" square, so they are a decent size for wall hanging.  Only thing is that they are realistic, Nasa-approved maps, so if you're going for that H.G. Wells look, they might not be right.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 03:32:22 am »

Really am looking for the Wellsian motif since if I wanted realistic high-resolution scans I could find those on the internet. Would be interesting to compare a whole planit image with the canali map to see how thigns overlayuand perhaps make an updated photographic version(photoshopped of course) to add that touch 'this image is not of our world' type of feeling.
Professor Cumulus Isobar
Deck Hand

Professional Rainmaker and Spiritualist

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 05:14:01 am »

Then I guess one would have to sit down with that picture and covert it into a vector graphic, so scaling it larger would become vastly easier if the conversion was well-done. I hear it is a tedious undertaking, though.
My first thought, as well.  It is a tedious undertaking, but the better things in life generally are.

"I'll be happy just as long as they don't label this one. There's been some dire talk of 'steampunk' but I don't think it's going to stick."
     --William Gibson, as quoted in a 1991 interview regarding his novel The Difference Engine.
mandos
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 07:44:51 am »

It occurs to me that once printed out it may still look somewhat modern, either modern paper showing around edges or perhaps a shiny glean to it. Neither of which seems appropriate for a Wellsian or SP item. I wonder if it would be possible to print it out on fabric instead. Depending on what you do to it a piece of fabric such as canvas could be made to look like old paper. As evidence look at currency, which is (if I remember correctly) an odd hybrid between fabric and paper (certainly looks the part after it goes through the washer/dryer...). I would think distressing and/or dying/staining the fabric would be fairly easy to make it look old enough to be period. Unless you want it to look brand new from 1880, in which case I don't know what that would exactly look like.

Just concerned that even with the appropriate image it might not come out right.

Mike
NazT
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 09:14:01 am »

If you want a hand drawn looking one then the easiest (and maybe even the cheapest) way would be to take your NASA map and using an overhead projector project it onto a piece of fabric or better still canvas tightly taped to the wall and then just copy the lines using a pencil and go over then later with a pen/quill/paintbrush, then just stain as required.  I've seen this done and if you take your time over it, it can produce a wonderful image.

Failing that then you might be able to use the same technique but using photosensitive chemicals to basically make a copy but you'd have to ask a photographer about that kinda thing.

The overhead projector method is the easies one I know for getting a small map blown up large (to exactly the size you want) but there again I have access to an overhead projector, a photocopier, and some photocopy transparency sheets.

Sorry if I didn't actually answer anything...  Embarrassed
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 01:55:08 pm »

Impractical given I don't own a projector, and I have this tremble whenever i try doing detailed work with a pen(or brush). Likely nerves, but it keeps me from doing anything artistic(even tracing) outside of a computer. Still, its worthwhile infromation to have as I didn't know it before, and now i do.

Now then. Anyone have maps of what mars were to look like if it had oceans and such? THAT is something I would truely want to see(and none of this fals colored nasa imaging...I'm talking about mars looking a bit more earth-like, not simply blue rocks).
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 02:47:58 pm »

You mean images of a terraformed mars?  There's too many to link, but just a google image search brings up quite a few.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 06:34:23 pm »

Wow, Mars would have a huge ocean space if it had water

Pretty :love:

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 06:38:57 pm »

The catch is, according to what I've read on the matter, while Mars would indeed have a rather massive ocean said ocean would be nowhere as deep as here on Earth.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 06:49:54 am »

I found this a few weeks ago Cheesy

I think its from John Carter of Mars. Apparently Mars' real name to its inhabitants is Barsoom.
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 05:43:56 pm »

Now THAT'S a map!

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 08:03:50 pm »

That's not a map.

This is a map!

Created by Eleanor Lutz using actual geographical data from NASA and similar sources. You can find the high reso!ution version at http://tabletopwhale.com/img/posts/02-27-16.jpg

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 08:15:05 pm »

That is rather lovely!

As a fan of both Mars and Cartography I approve!

Also nicely inspiring for a Mars related project I've been mulling over for a while!
oprion
Officer

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 02:39:40 am »

I always loved this map from the "Martian Dreams" game (an old steampunk spin-off of the Ultima series).

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:36:07 am by oprion » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 07:25:23 pm »

Now the professionals have got in on the act: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2016/02/21157/.

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 11:55:41 am »

Give me a good map any day!

Nothing quite like sitting with the feet up perusing a decent atlas - except perusing a dictionary, perhaps.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: