The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2017, 11:15:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy vehicles  (Read 12754 times)
skribb
Officer
American Samoa American Samoa

The Antithesis of Normal

« on: December 30, 2007, 12:38:08 am »

Some of you might have seen this piece of work but I thought it was too splendid to not show here. I present the Riot Wheel:

Here is the website pertaining to this wonderful creation: http://theriotwheel.com/index.html

And, now that's been taken care of, let's post other steamy vehicles for gawking pleasure! The obvious example is a pennyfarthing of course, and I suppose veteran mobiles and zeppelins as well. Those types of point-a-to-point-b-creations are of course allowed in this thread, but I'd be especially happy if any of you had pictures of similar innovations such as the Riot Wheel!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:40:21 am by skribb » Logged

But all the clocks in the city,
Began to whirr and chime.
O, let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:38:50 am »

First posted 4 to 6 months ago, I believe.. Cheesy

skribb
Officer

The Antithesis of Normal

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:40:47 am »

First posted 4 to 6 months ago, I believe.. Cheesy

I suspected something similar, yes
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 01:12:51 am »

Having said that though, when I first saw that machine, I immediately started thinking on how it could be approved. The engine he's using was the obvious first thing that needs to go. I know there are scooters out there with engines up to 600cc. A much better choice methinks.

Even better yet would be a car engine with a continuously variable transmission. A relatively small package can be found in the old Fiat Panda or Fiat Uno; 1108cc 4 cylinder engines though since they'd have to be mounted transversely, I'm afraid you'd need an even wider tire..

Also, if more space is needed inside the wheel for mechanics, it would be pretty simple to have the counterweights mounted externally, behind the wheel. Te hoist he's using, although very ingenious, is not all that great.. why not just use a small electrical winch as commonly produced for ATV's? They need not be expensive at all..
skribb
Officer

The Antithesis of Normal

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 05:00:17 pm »

I'm not a mechanic by any means, so all I can judge is look. I'm sure there could be countless improvements made, the ones you mentioned sound plausible enough (but don't take my word for it because I know nothing about engines, haha).
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:43:22 pm »

His concept is sound, so that's not where the problem lies. It's more that in its current form, the vehicle isn't all that practical. The small engine is underpowered because the machine is so heavy, and the clutch just can't handle it very well, it's slipping continuously thus causing it to overheat in a matter of minutes.
Prof. Brockworth
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Choppy Warburton rides again!

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 11:39:45 pm »

I never thought I'd see someone critique the practicality of the riot wheel!  Well done!  Smiley

Ah, for a human-powered version...

Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 01:25:34 am »

Human powered you say... hmm... definitely an interesting idea, although I'm afraid it's usefulness will be limited to the flattest of surfaces due to the weight involved. Naturally there would be no need for such a heavy tire, but the counter weight is still a necessity I'm afraid. You won't be winning any races, that's for sure.. Cheesy

Must be great for scaring people out of your way in busy urban areas though. Finally a bike you could use among the other traffic without the fear of being overlooked.. Cheesy
MadmanMachine
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 07:29:30 am »

Ok.. so how would one actually turn in something like that?

Its a nice idea, but its kinda like the Daleks and stairs before the writers gave them levitation thrusters.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 04:21:56 pm »

There's a gyro in there providing turning torque.
Good point though. Not entirely sure how you'd incorporate the gyro system in a human powered version.. Cheesy
Klynt Mahryd
Zeppelin Admiral

Wanted for Piracy of the Skies and Wanton Mischief

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 07:03:51 pm »

It does look damn awesome though. Apparently, it was made for Burning Man and he drove it around there.
elShoggotho
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 01:35:14 am »

Steamy vehicles... I nominate the Wuppertal suspension railway.

From 1901:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From 1903:
In modern times:
Professor Z
Officer

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 08:01:38 am »

This is my first post here.  I've been lurking for over a year and consider this my coming out.  Please be gentle Wink

This is a quick picture of the 'art car' me and my group made for Burning Man last year.  I don't like calling it an art car because that brings to mind pictures of cars covered in collections of junk.  This is more of a movie prop. At least that's the way I see it.  We christened it The Perambulator. http://bp2.blogger.com/_OJdNzMuXEZo/RviDVlryexI/AAAAAAAAAO0/K8Ir1Ms1ApI/s1600-h/IMG_0942.5.jpg
Here it is in front of the Steam Punk Tree.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 06:24:30 pm »

This is my first post here.  I've been lurking for over a year and consider this my coming out.  Please be gentle Wink

This is a quick picture of the 'art car' me and my group made for Burning Man last year.  I don't like calling it an art car because that brings to mind pictures of cars covered in collections of junk.  This is more of a movie prop. At least that's the way I see it.  We christened it The Perambulator. http://bp2.blogger.com/_OJdNzMuXEZo/RviDVlryexI/AAAAAAAAAO0/K8Ir1Ms1ApI/s1600-h/IMG_0942.5.jpg

Awesome! Me likes it a lot.
Adml. Etherington
Snr. Officer

Airship Pirate

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 09:29:19 pm »

I had to do a double take on that picture, Zensius, as for a moment, I thought someone had been taking snapshots inside my head. A few months ago, I was considering Burning Man this year (It won't be working out this year, unfortunately) and I had been picturing an airship-themed car with a small gas bag above it to navigate the playa. It appears you quite handily beat me to it, with almost exactly the finished product I was envisioning. Very flash, I might add, and good show!

The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds.
 - Theo Jansen
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 10:42:40 pm »

I love your vehicle! I've even been to your site to check out the construction at an earlier date.
I hope you're aware that there will be Brass Goggles camp at BM this year.  Smiley
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3594.0
I think it would be awesome if we could get all the steamy camps together (or at least close).

The RIOT wheel is a hoot, I think version 2.0 should be greatly improved.

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Alexander Edmund Clough
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 12:19:48 am »

Zensius - your "art car" is truly awesome!

Put Mr Beeman in his leather kilt and jacket at the wheel and it would (IMHO) redefine the SBU. I would posit that it alone rates .999 SBU.  Grin
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 12:23:24 am »

We christened it The Perambulator.

That's fantastic. Nice work - all of you.

As for being gentle...we are all gentlemen and gentlewomen here, and generally treat others in like fashion.

I hope to see more of your creations. Welcome.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Derranged-Gadgeteer
Snr. Officer

Only going to live twice

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 12:49:02 am »

I've just been inspired!  How long did it take to build it, and how muchabouts did it cost?

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 02:28:40 am »

From 1901:
From 1903:
In modern times:

chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 03:33:59 am »

Reminds me of the Australian childrens' series Proffessor Poopsnaggles Steam Zeppelin, a spin off from Secret Valley. The kids save the world in a junked out Motor-omnibus fitted with a gasbag on top.

The opening credits of the show are excruciating.

Here's my contribution:
Yes that one did work, it was going while I shot this img.
This one was in the Queensland Museum.
This is the closest I could get to it.
The hall is not suited for the little flashes of a compact digital.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Luther
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 04:32:14 am »

Ok, both the RIOT wheel and the art car are 100 levels of cool... i want both. I wish the RIOT wheel site gave more info tho. Would really like to try building one someday. The design seems deceptivly simple, but i know it can't be as easy as it seems...
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 05:50:50 pm »

From 1901:
From 1903:
In modern times:

IIRC, that was the only fatal accident in the history of the network. A pretty good accident record considering that it has been in operation since 1901.
Doctor When
Zeppelin Captain

Proud to have been the first Steampunk in The Chap

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 06:17:47 pm »

I did sort of fall in lust with some of the commercials at the GDSF - practical, road going vehicles and suprisingly fast:

And my favourite, with a lovely enclosed cab:

Special mention must go to the car-tractor, which whilst not steamy is a splendid example of an engineer mucking about:

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 07:21:14 pm »

Awesome! My favorite in this lot for sure!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: