The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 05:03:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: steampunk christmas meal suggestions?  (Read 2798 times)
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 04:06:30 am »

If he meant panini, it's a pressed sandwich, Italian in origin.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2016, 06:29:07 am »

Sorry (not) for the thread necromancy, but I'm wondering if any of you have dinner plans for whichever Yuletide celebration you'll be hosting.

On the menu Christmas Day, December 25 - I haven't done this for about 10 years, I'll be cooking for roommates and coworkers, just 5 people.

Theme: Maximilian Era (1860s) Mexican French Fusion. I celebrate the mid-late French-Mexican fusion in cuisine which happened 50 years after Mexico's Independence (1810-21), and had declared a loan default with France, England and Russia, if memory serves me well. The French decided to establish a puppet state, invaded Mexico and established an Austrian Prince, Ferdinand Maximilian of Hapsburg as Emperor. In the meantime, the United States was embroiled in a Civil War, leaving President Lincoln unable to even respond to France's unilateral actions.

The French had a love-hate relationship with the intervention, and as a result, they left a deep cultural imprint in México, particularly in food. The dishes I serve today are meant to showcase that influence.

Appetizer

French Voul-a-vent / Mexican Bolován
A butter puff pastry filled with seafood, and toppled with sauce. In this case the pastry is filled with minced tuna and smoked oyster mixture, and covered in a mushroom creme and smoked oyster sauce.

~ ~ ~

Soup / Side Dish

Potato, Chorizo, Tomato and Kale plus Collared greens stew. A classic recipe from México City.

~ ~ ~

Main Course

Beef Roast: specifically Sirloin Round Rib Roast on the bone, covered with a Beef Cabernet Sauvignon red wine sauce with Anise (Fennel) and Portobello mushrooms

~ ~ ~

Dessert

Crepas con Cajeta, Crépes covered in a goat milk caramel sauce and garnished with crushed walnuts

Café de Olla, Coffee which is traditionally made by brewing coffee infused with orange juice and cinnamon and sweetened with grated Piloncillo cones, an intermediate step between Treacle /Molasses and Brown Sugar.

Mexican Orejas  ("ears"), aka French Palmieres, a puff pastry roll sliced  transversally and baked again with glazed sugar, to make layered biscuits (cookies) in the shape of palm leaves or a human ear.

~ ~  ~

Are you planning any type of meal event? And if so, would you share with us your menu?

I remain truly yours, and I wish you the best of holidays.

Adm. J. Wilhelm
United States Airship Orca

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:34:28 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2016, 12:22:26 pm »

All this has made me hungry - I think I will go and open a tin of ham. My frozen one is being saved up to share round at Easter, and is also residing someone else's freezer!
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 08:43:24 pm »

It's just two of us this year.
We'll be having roast turkey with dressing (I made a loaf of white bread yesterday just for the dressing). 
Home made cranberry sauce, a green salad with home grown tomatoes and cucumbers (I live in Hawaii, can grow nearly year-round).  And instant mashed potatoes because we didn't think to buy spuds the other day, but husband can't live without a suitable vehicle for the gravy.
I hadn't thought about dessert (pudding).  I could make a pecan pie.  Or use the commercial apple pie in the freezer.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2016, 11:20:22 pm »

We had  roasted chicken portions, potatoes and orange kumara with  herbslaw and baby spinach . Followed by tiramisu and  brandy cream
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2016, 12:17:41 am »

All cold for us as the temperature was 37oC - roast chicken, ham and pork, with three different salads. My brother was experimenting again, so one of the salads had pomegranates and honey soaked walnuts which was very nice. Choice of trifle or pavlova, or both!
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2016, 08:26:16 pm »

we went with lava cake for dessert.   You put a lump of ganache in the center of the batter, in individual ramekins, and it flows like lava when you cut into it.  Yum! 
Too bad the oven decided to take the night off; I had to use the toaster oven, then finally stuck them in the microwave to finish.  Tasted great!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: