The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 09:47:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Punk Armour?  (Read 53596 times)
Great Bizarro
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2008, 01:36:41 pm »

Who do you think he parodied in that movie?  Wink Besides I think the one in the movie was made out of trash cans.
I knew that, was just making fun of his armor. Love Yahoos work and had to bring it up Grin

"No matter where you go, there you are"
Interstellar Machine
Officer

<>< Straight and Narrow

Interstellarmac
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2008, 12:07:21 am »

Rise of Legends has a character in the opening movie with some very good steampunk armor:

http://riseoflegends.com/
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2008, 04:36:33 pm »

when the spanish began to explore and conquer the new world in earnest, they also sent over some of the out of use armor for the troops dealing with the indigent militias.

firearms, while still crude, were becoming the norm in europe and most standing armies had fazed out most of the armor in favor of just standardized uniforms.

-BUT-

against stone and bronze weapons, a good breast plate and helm made the small units of spanish soldiers almost invincible.
add matchlocks and disease to the formula and the new world didn't stand a chance.
sir jons de sloop
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

http://www.nortonarmouries.com/shop.asp

Morluna
Officer

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2008, 07:06:28 pm »

Well at least if she´s ever at the beach and someone start shooting arrows at her, she´s got a good chance of surviving.  Wink

Dont be silly Atterton, chainmail is useless against arrows

Which is why she wears her full plate stuff when at the beach  Wink

Oh, well naturally. That looks much more practical.  Roll Eyes

Laura Vaughn
Events Coordinator, Webmistress and Seamstress; Outland Armour

Laurilye Hutchinson - Explosives Technician and Bombadier; HMS Amaranth
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2008, 03:49:06 pm »

That's exactly the site I was looking at.
At the moment I use Armchair Armoury which is a) British (so close to me) but b) restrictive on what it sells (no anodized stuff).
Having found the Ringlord, they seem cheaper than Armchair, even taking into account overseas shipping.

I may order one of their taster kits to see how it goes.

Totally agree on the leaf scales, they could easilly look awesome on some armour.

Yes, I've always found armchair to be very good indeed, I feel it's important to support UK suppliers. That said given the exchange rate I would be tempted by the scalemail just to try it out.

MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2008, 05:02:19 pm »

The ability to move rapidly and use guns well outweighs the protection given by a tin suit.

When the healer has been sliced in twain and a pack of hungry looking demons are closing in on you, it's amazing just how fast you can move in several kilos of metal.  Grin
Suppose it all comes down to the fact that as nice as the protection is against spears, the more clothing and armour the bullet pushes into your body, the harder it is to remove it all.

Take this chainmail bikini.

I never get tired of seeing those.  Smiley

As someone that wore full plate for 10 hours a day for 4 days, the weight itself is not the problem. You can run, jump I've even seen someone cartwheel.

If your harness is fitted correctly the weight is spread over the body. Heat on the other hand is the problem. Its gets very hot and sweaty in there.
Shinyhead
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2008, 05:06:41 pm »

Heh, but with steam punk you can put fans and cooling into it.  Cheesy

Mydnight
Gunner

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2008, 10:59:26 pm »

hahaha a set of liquid-cooled plate armor would be great!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2008, 11:02:50 pm »

The ability to move rapidly and use guns well outweighs the protection given by a tin suit.

When the healer has been sliced in twain and a pack of hungry looking demons are closing in on you, it's amazing just how fast you can move in several kilos of metal.  Grin
Suppose it all comes down to the fact that as nice as the protection is against spears, the more clothing and armour the bullet pushes into your body, the harder it is to remove it all.

Take this chainmail bikini.

I never get tired of seeing those.  Smiley

As someone that wore full plate for 10 hours a day for 4 days, the weight itself is not the problem. You can run, jump I've even seen someone cartwheel.

If your harness is fitted correctly the weight is spread over the body. Heat on the other hand is the problem. Its gets very hot and sweaty in there.

I'm only familiar with wearing Japanese armor myself, but I have to agree. The weight is really not all that bad, quite contrary to popular believe. The heat... yeah... after wearing a full set of armor for a full day during a parade in 30 degrees C. I can safely say it gets pretty damn hot, sweaty and itchy in places utterly impossible to reach! Cheesy

Prof. Brockworth
Snr. Officer

Choppy Warburton rides again!

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2008, 11:46:22 pm »

Ditto for a full hauberk of mail.  That padded jack (the thick quilted tunic worn under the mail) really gets stinky.  But a 40-60lb suit is still pretty easy to wear, even if it's a fiend to don and doff.  And all that mass makes for the most fantastic shield charges.

Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...
bluestocking
Snr. Officer

Editrix, mixologist, raconteur

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2008, 12:11:51 am »

In my experience, mail is worse than plate when it comes to perceived weight... with plate, the mass of the metal is distributed over the body; with mail, it's all hanging from your shoulders and belt*. Mail is also a fabulous insulator, especially with another layer over it. I've worn a steel haubergeon under a wool tunic and been ever-so-toasty warm, even in sub-freezing weather.

*Except that one time I forgot to pack a belt... Egad, were my shoulders sore...
elShoggotho
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2008, 12:44:16 am »

More important, in a full set of armour, you don't even feel that little porksticker in your hand. Three pounds of steel? Pah, that's forty pounds of mail on my belt and shoulders!

My LARP dealer has a leftover stock of 8,500 rings with 6 millimetres inner diameter... makes me think of making such a thing for a certain person...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:51:07 am by elShoggotho » Logged
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2008, 04:00:05 am »

Armour is but an illusion....

My middle brother bought his then gf a nightie made of chainmail. I would be wearing a leather bikini under that, at least! added to the weight and heat of the armour is all the stuff you need to wear under it to protect yourself from jamming little bits of you in the joints. Shocked

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Leonard Lightning
Officer

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2008, 10:20:11 am »

Ok I'll be the wierd person.  Armour does slow you down.  Espeacially if you prefer diving aside than just stepping aside (this seems silly but people get wierded out when you jump 6 feet in the oppisite direction they just fired in).  When you're talking about steampunk it should either be light and nearly invisible (nearly since the whole point is to show it off) or super heavy like the kelley armor only better.  LXG also has a heavy steampunk armor just before Hyde and Nemo are about to fight the super hyde wannabe.
sir jons de sloop
Officer

« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2008, 10:30:22 am »

yeah the company i used to work for made that armor in LXG and also the plate armor worn by M's foot soldiers with regards to chain mail my girl friend wears a chainmail bratop and miniskirt which are half rubber O rings and half aluminium so the rubber holds it away from the skin so its not cold and it waighs half the amount of a full metal garment
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2008, 03:51:38 am »

As for steampunk armour, I think anything with leather and brass is the way to go... but some sort of Faraday Suit might be wise if you're going up against an enemy with Tesla Rifles.

Or the terribly modern 'Taser' plastic monstrosities!

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
shadow dweller
Officer

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2008, 04:12:45 am »

As for steampunk armour, I think anything with leather and brass is the way to go... but some sort of Faraday Suit might be wise if you're going up against an enemy with Tesla Rifles.

Or the terribly modern 'Taser' plastic monstrosities!

has anyone else seen those Faraday t-shirts, i guess you'd call them?

Hamlet. What news?
Rosencrantz. None, my lord, but that the world's grown honest.
Hamlet. Then is doomsday near.
elShoggotho
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2008, 04:44:54 am »

I might just make my own breastplate. Sheet steel with brass embellishments riveted on...
Atlas Rune
Officer

I can do science, me!

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2008, 06:14:09 pm »

I found this while I was browsing devaintART, it shows how the aluminum/rubber chain mail works...

"For an optimist the glass is half full, for a pessimist it's half empty, and for an engineer is twice bigger than necessary."
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2008, 05:32:31 pm »

I found this while I was browsing devaintART, it shows how the aluminum/rubber chain mail works...

I would agree that it works in a most delicious manner!

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Victor Corbett
Gunner

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2008, 07:38:26 am »

This:
http://www.videosift.com/video/Dragon-Skin
 is basically a copy of this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, but is nonetheless feasible I suppose.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2008, 11:45:45 am »

A bevor would be highly steampunkable and relatively easy to fabricate out of thin steel. It was used in the middle ages to protect the throat and lower half of the face. They are pretty damn cool looking just by themselves, although of limited practical value that way. They are supposed to be combined with a salet or burgonet type helmet to protect the rest of the head.

A nice and easy pattern for a bevor can be found here
A lot of other interesting medieval patterns that are screaming to be steampunked are here.

Now picture that bevor combined with an appropriate pickelhaube for the steamy inclined, or with a WWII German helmet style for the dieselpunk fans. Mmm, heavy infantry goooood...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:49:29 am by akumabito » Logged
Doctor When
Zeppelin Captain

Proud to have been the first Steampunk in The Chap

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2008, 02:34:58 pm »

They are supposed to be combined with a salet or burgonet type helmet to protect the rest of the head.

...or a Kettle hat!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2008, 02:39:03 pm »

That is one gnarly looking dude.. Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: