The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 10:58:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Punk Armour?  (Read 53856 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2015, 02:00:00 am »

-Karl
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2015, 05:23:02 am »

What?! No bow tie?! (LOL).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2015, 12:17:02 pm »

Blatantly stolen and reposted from another forum:

"Usually if someone thinks of WW1 armour they imagine monstrosities like the "Brewster body shield", but just glancing through 'Helmets and body armor in modern warfare" (circa 1920) I found some interesting examples.
- http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/244/mode/2up -Looks like a simplified imitation of a Milanese cuirass.
- http://archive.org/stre
am/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/246/mode/2up
-Same worn with matching helmet
- http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/238/mode/2up -A neat little "gorget" weighing only 1.5 pounds. (flip the page to see it's test results).
- http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/248/mode/2up -An interesting suit of "light" infantry armour, complete with almain rivet style arm defenses. (View on the right shows it worn with complete kit) The entire thing was around 20 gauge in thickness, and provided about the same level of protection as the helmet.
Also, a couple examples more closely resembling modern military armour in concept:
- http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/120/mode/2up
- http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/124/mode/2up  "

Oh my goodness sir that is fantastic, I need to find a copy of that book!!!!!!!!!!
So many ideas for SF Armour now!!!

The University of Toronto made it available for download.

--
Keith
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2015, 02:44:53 am »

Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2015, 05:34:29 am »

I cannot see the pictures on my iPad, so I am commenting so I remember to look on my computer.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2015, 12:13:03 am »

Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2015, 03:41:37 pm »

It looks like one of those sweaters so popular for ladies in the 1920s. 

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2015, 03:21:56 am »

What is its weight.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2015, 05:55:43 am »

When did the Japanese stop wearing traditional armor?
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2015, 07:02:00 am »

When did the Japanese stop wearing traditional armor?

1877 seems to have been the big drop off for samurai armour.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satsuma_Rebellion

Kendo Bogu is still used today though.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2015, 04:52:46 pm »

There is also the somewhat more complete armour worn for naginata-do. 

This traditionally female martial art went coed a few years ago in an attempt to prevent it from facing away completely. 
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2015, 05:27:29 pm »

A nice suit of Samurai armor at the University of Michigan Art Museum.

I've seen it in person; the Samurai were short by modern standards.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2015, 04:51:04 am »

Was the armour dated?
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2016, 05:45:45 pm »

Loving all these different pictures being posted. I've already pinned a few for future help on my own armor. I've been planning on making a sort of power/body armor for my character.  I love the Warmachine minis. In fact my army in that is Cygnar.  I've been meaning to make some sort of power body armor for my character who specializes in electric based weaponry and such.

Another Warmachine type to look at are the Storm Knights which are broke down into Stormblades, Stormguards and Storm Lances. They all wear the same armor for the most part. It changes based on the weapon they use, and with the Lances the fact they are on horseback

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2016, 05:53:16 am »

Was the armour dated?

There may have been a year printed on the tag underneath the washing instructions.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2016, 10:52:29 pm »

Harbinger_99
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2016, 09:50:12 pm »

The problem with having armor in Steampunk is that during the Victorian era firearms were becoming incredibly powerful, accurate and common. Most metal armor is all but useless against firearms unless it is very thick, which would then greatly reduce the users maneuverability. Chain mail is good against both ray and Tesla weapons as well as swords and knives. But if you fire a bullet at a suit of mail it basically becomes a case of bringing your own shrapnel.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2016, 10:18:19 pm »

The problem with having armor in Steampunk is that during the Victorian era firearms were becoming incredibly powerful, accurate and common. Most metal armor is all but useless against firearms unless it is very thick, which would then greatly reduce the users maneuverability. Chain mail is good against both ray and Tesla weapons as well as swords and knives. But if you fire a bullet at a suit of mail it basically becomes a case of bringing your own shrapnel.

Well that's where the utility of 'handwavium' comes in, as it allows you to create armour from a super hard, yet lightweight alloy capable of stopping a bullet Grin. Or could always go the historically accurate route of woven silk body armour (invented sometime in the early C20th by an American Clergyman if I remember rightly).

But on a more serious note, even modern, military grade body armour can be worryingly ineffective. 'Fer instance even a military issue kevlar vest will only really protect against pistol rounds. In order to protect from most rifle rounds, it's necessary to have one or more ceramic plates to actually stop the bullet as well. Although tbh chain mail backed by some kind of metal plate (such as the German trench armour previously discussed), would probably be sufficient to stop most late 19th/early 20th century rounds without impacting the wearer's mobility too much (depending on the physical fitness of the wearer).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2016, 10:21:23 pm »

The standoff armor and "sword" it is a spiral. One wins, another.

Fully admit (sorry don't know for sure) that the armor of the first world war could not withstand the powerful rifle bullets.

But during the Second world war, in the army there are a lot of automatic pistols, with less powerful bullets.

And in the red army once again began to use the cuirass. But not linear forces. Cuirass heavy, difficult to crawl, and even if the MG 42 will not pierce the breastplate, easily saw off konechnostei and head.

And here is a special part of the assault, in urban combat they are effectively used.

Assault engineer-sapper brigade of the Reserve of the Supreme command.

The need for the creation of assault battalions there in 1943, when it became clear that there is a strategic turning point in the war in favor of the red Army. Our troops launched an offensive on almost all major fronts, and desperately needed new engineering connections offensive type for breaking through strong defensive fortifications of the Nazi troops. Such connections it was decided to establish on the basis of existing engineering parts, and by 30 may 1943 by the reorganization were created 15 Shibr. Each brigade consisted of a headquarters, command, mouth management and engineering exploration, several assault engineer-sapper battalions and a company of dogs, mine detectors.

Since tasks before the assault battalions were raised the most that neither is serious, and taking there, not somebody. All candidates in Sibr had to have real combat experience, outstanding physical health and to be not older than 40 years. The soldiers of the assault battalions were equipped with much better and more modern clothing than the ordinary soldiers of the red Army.

if you will view photos of a military chronicle, you will easily be able to distinguish them fighters Sibr. Many of them in the hands of light machine guns, sniper rifles, machine guns, flamethrowers. Some of the troopers were even dressed in armor (breakers), which in those days was even more rare. Often, fighters hid their armour under the protective coveralls and thus literally demented gunman on them Germans. The Germans produced the cartridge for cartridge, but I could not stop fighters Sibr. There is even a bike curious on this topic. Allegedly one of the fighters is dressed in breakers, out of ammo, and he grabbed an empty shell from the German hand grenades, beat his to death about ten Germans. Those did not understand why their weapon is not valid on a Soviet soldier. Although it is not a legend at all, and the situation that occurred in reality.

Combat gear soldiers assault units consisted of a steel helmet OBR. 1940 (SS-40), and a steel breastplate.

It is known that for the needs of "storm troopers" were developed several models of bibs, this is SN — 38, SN — 39, SN — 40, SN — 40A, and SN — 42. The number indicates the year of development. The most widespread SN-42
Steel bib SN-42. Modification - of sheet thickness 2 mm ,weight of 3.5 kg and 4 mm thick ,weight 8 kg.

The main advantage of this armor during the second world war was that it protects the human body from the bullets of the German gun-machine guns, grenades and projectiles for distances up to 120 m from the place of fire or explosion (according to others from any distance , there are cases falling 9 mm pistol bullets at close range, without damage to the fighter), rifle and machine-gun fire covered a distance of over 300 meters.

The notch on the right side of the bib allowed it is convenient to rest the buttstock in the shoulder, along with the advantages of this type of individual protection had a number of disadvantages, so the fighter in this cuirass was not protected by back, steel breastplate had a lot of weight, it also was problematic to move around on the battlefield on their bellies.

The soldiers tried to wear the "armor" on a standard army jacket - thus, decreased the impact force of the bullet or fragment. Podhodili padded jacket even in the summer, taking from his sleeve.

Review of soldiers, that the breastplate was the most controversial from praise to complete rejection. Bib was valuable in assault parts that "took" major cities, while the negative reviews were mainly from the parts that captured field fortifications. In the fighting outside the cities was widely used camouflage, summer wore mostly under the shell and winter — on top.

Sapper special forces had even his special emblem in the form of crossed hatchets of yellow or white metal, and black piping on the collar and shoulder straps (officer "gaps" and Sergeant "stripes" were red), the assigned engineer parts.

This is our wiki about bibs - https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Стальной_нагрудник

And some photos

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Frogswim
Deck Hand

« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2016, 10:30:37 pm »

My armor, My character is an interplanetary miner C:
Harbinger_99
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2016, 12:12:57 am »

Well that's where the utility of 'handwavium' comes in, as it allows you to create armour from a super hard, yet lightweight alloy capable of stopping a bullet Grin. Or could always go the historically accurate route of woven silk body armour (invented sometime in the early C20th by an American Clergyman if I remember rightly).

But on a more serious note, even modern, military grade body armour can be worryingly ineffective. 'Fer instance even a military issue kevlar vest will only really protect against pistol rounds. In order to protect from most rifle rounds, it's necessary to have one or more ceramic plates to actually stop the bullet as well. Although tbh chain mail backed by some kind of metal plate (such as the German trench armour previously discussed), would probably be sufficient to stop most late 19th/early 20th century rounds without impacting the wearer's mobility too much (depending on the physical fitness of the wearer).

Handwavium, I like that. However a thick (say 6mm) leather armor would probably do a better job. It's light-ish would reduce damage from both slashes and blunt force and it would not turn into shrapnel if shot. A Youtuber who goes by Skallagrim did some tests on 6mm veg tan leather, and it was able to stand up to everything from swords to crossbows. It would also have the side benefit of being flexible.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2016, 06:03:56 pm »

@ Captain: was looking back over some older post and saw yours on (I think) 29 November of last year. It was reminiscent of the armour M's minions used in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that I recently re-watched.   

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2016, 12:57:23 pm »

@ Captain: was looking back over some older post and saw yours on (I think) 29 November of last year. It was reminiscent of the armour M's minions used in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that I recently re-watched.   

I am sorry that it has taken me so long to see your post but I agree that the LOEG armor was probably based on this WW I era body armor. 

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2016, 04:46:12 am »

Some experimental WW I US armor:  http://historybuff.com/americas-wwi-experimental-helmets-are-terrifying-Y2ayd3m9DvNg?utm_source=spunk&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=spunkcpm 
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2016, 03:03:47 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: