The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 02:57:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Punk Armour?  (Read 53892 times)
Hartraft
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Bandits! 7'O'Clock!

« on: December 17, 2007, 12:02:33 pm »

Having looked through a fair amount of pics on this site, I think I've only seen on person wearing what could be termed as dedicated armour.
Is armour not considered particularly steam punk, or have I been looking at the wrong pictures?

In tandem to this, it occurred to me (while making a more standard looking suit of chain) that a chainmaille style lining to jacket might suit the genre, it wouldn't be obvious (as the lining is on the inside). Is this a little out of bounds still for the steampunk genre?

Thanks

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.
Or just scream and cry til help arrives.
LiveJournal | MySpace | Deviant Art
Fortigurn
Zeppelin Captain
Taiwan Taiwan

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:26:50 pm »

I think that Steampunk 'armour' should be in keeping with the Edwardian/Victorian era.  Large leather gloves with brass fittings, leather or even metal face masks, and elbow or kneepads are certainly in as far as I can see (I'm working on the gloves and kneepads myself).  But I'm not sure about medieval style armour or chainmail.  Was that actually worn during the relevant eras?

My eyes!  The goggles - they do nothing!

Steampunk@Redbubble

Brushes:

500ml

Obsidian Daw
Hartraft
Officer

Bandits! 7'O'Clock!

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:17:52 pm »

I don't know, sadly, and to my regret, I didn't study that period history at school.
I know, well believe, that the Victorians originated some terms that we use for armour; Banded Mail (a hybrid of leather and chain), Platemail (a hybrid of plate and chain), Scalemail (an alternative term for scale armour).
Whether they used such I don't know.
Ned Kelly (who I believe was around in the victorian era) used a home made variant of heavy plate. He forgot to armour his legs though.

I also know that in WWI chainmail it was used as anti-shrapnel protection on helmets.

A little bit of googling turned this up:
Chainmail fell out of favor in the 17th-18th century with increased use of light cavalry and gunpowder warfare. Chainmail was still used for ceremonial armor and other inconsequential applications, however it has remained rather influential in jewelry and other decorative arts.

Also, and I don't know how you chaps look upon such things, but in Wild Wild West the 'Impermeable' was basically chainmail.

Now making it out of steel would leave it somewhat dull, but in brass or anodized aluminium, it could really add a little color.

A little more googling finds this
After one of the attempts on her [Queen Victoria] life, an armoured parasol was designed for her; it had a layer of chain mail between its cover and lining. The armour made it weigh more than three pounds, and it probably did not see any use.
Doctor When
Zeppelin Captain

Proud to have been the first Steampunk in The Chap

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:46:14 pm »

The Victorians also invented the term "chainmail". There was only one type of mail in the medieval period, and that was "mail"!

One of the main reasons for the lack of "real" Victorian fighting armour is that is simply isn't practical by that period: A bullet fron a Martini-Henry rifle couldn't care less whether your wearing heavy medieval plate, rivetted mail or a nice linen shirt with embroidery on it: Hence it seems an irrelevance to encumber yourself with the additional burden.

As for steampunk armour, I think anything with leather and brass is the way to go... but some sort of Faraday Suit might be wise if you're going up against an enemy with Tesla Rifles.

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
elShoggotho
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:49:33 pm »

The Victorians also invented the term "chainmail". There was only one type of mail in the medieval period, and that was "mail"!

One of the main reasons for the lack of "real" Victorian fighting armour is that is simply isn't practical by that period: A bullet fron a Martini-Henry rifle couldn't care less whether your wearing heavy medieval plate, rivetted mail or a nice linen shirt with embroidery on it: Hence it seems an irrelevance to encumber yourself with the additional burden.

As for steampunk armour, I think anything with leather and brass is the way to go... but some sort of Faraday Suit might be wise if you're going up against an enemy with Tesla Rifles.
...like Dr. Zeus's Anti-Tesla Suit?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mr Mockett
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 02:16:50 pm »

You could also put additions of metal plates (brass if you want, whatever really) on the inside (or outside!) of the leather jackets over vital areas.  Maille wouldn't stop the weapons of the 19th century, but a well placed metal plate of sufficient gauge might well save your life!

This would also allow the integration of rivets into the design of any leather shell.  And brass rivets are always good.
Hartraft
Officer

Bandits! 7'O'Clock!

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:53:04 pm »

...like Dr. Zeus's Anti-Tesla Suit?

Interestingly it seems that the core of the anti-tesla suit is chainmail...So, it's useless against regular bullets, but against sabers (a slashing weapon) and tesla rifles it's a suitable steampunk armour...
Cool.
I even know where I can get brass rings!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:00:06 pm »

There was a guy on here who made a beautiful brass breastplate. It even had small hinged openings for access to pockets.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hartraft
Officer

Bandits! 7'O'Clock!

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:02:01 pm »

that may well be the chap I was referring to in my first post on the subject.
(I recall the pic of him being with several other fellow steampunks)
Kabuki
Snr. Officer
United States United States

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 07:36:11 pm »

That would be Mr. Dantes.  He's an air pirate.  Smiley

The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b
Sebastian Gaunt
Snr. Officer

I have the key to the TARDIS!

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:17:23 pm »

I don't know, sadly, and to my regret, I didn't study that period history at school.
I know, well believe, that the Victorians originated some terms that we use for armour; Banded Mail (a hybrid of leather and chain), Platemail (a hybrid of plate and chain), Scalemail (an alternative term for scale armour).
Whether they used such I don't know.

I am afraid Banded Mail, Plate mail and Scale Mail were a product of MUCH earlier ages! by the time the Victorians came around they were outmoded by firearms and long out of fashion/use.

"The fastest way to travel is by Gaslight"
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:49:23 pm »

certainly the armour styles were much older... but it is possible that the terminology for discussing them was codified in the victorian period.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Aurelia Batchelor
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 10:17:20 pm »

A little more googling finds this
After one of the attempts on her [Queen Victoria] life, an armoured parasol was designed for her; it had a layer of chain mail between its cover and lining. The armour made it weigh more than three pounds, and it probably did not see any use.

This has cheered me up after a hard day - what a wonderful little factoid!
Prof. Brockworth
Snr. Officer

Choppy Warburton rides again!

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 11:29:57 pm »

Mail is hefty but very satisfying to make.  It's pretty straightforward, rather like knitting with pliers.

As Sebastian says, most personal armour is for melee combat, and the Victorians had pretty much worked out that the best way to win a swordfight was with an artillery fusillade followed by ranked rifle fire (ever seen Zulu?).  The ability to move rapidly and use guns well outweighs the protection given by a tin suit.

Our Vicky forebears also bought into the Romantics in a big way, though, and they were all knights and shining armour.

So, really, there is very little historically accurate armour.  Which means you're free to have fun! Wink

Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 11:57:43 pm »

Mail is hefty but very satisfying to make. 

Since I assume this is for costuming purposes, you may want to look at aluminium mail. The alloy 5356 is referred to as "bright aluminium" because it stays shiny and does not oxide much. Its also reasonably strong and is commonly available from welding shops.

Take this chainmail bikini.

(Yes i know its a cliche but its what my friend wanted)

This used 5356 alloy welding wire (1.6mm thick). Ring size was 8mm inner diameter.

It is also very light and has stayed shiny for 2 years

Miss Gadget
Deck Hand

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 12:06:19 am »

The ability to move rapidly and use guns well outweighs the protection given by a tin suit.

When the healer has been sliced in twain and a pack of hungry looking demons are closing in on you, it's amazing just how fast you can move in several kilos of metal.  Grin
Suppose it all comes down to the fact that as nice as the protection is against spears, the more clothing and armour the bullet pushes into your body, the harder it is to remove it all.

I never get tired of seeing those.  Smiley

Piece by piece, snip by snip, croup, dock, haunch, shoulders, hip,
Tread by thread, primmed and pressed, yard by yard, never stressed,
And that's the Art of the Dress!
Prof. Zervo
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 12:11:09 am »

wow - I think that bikini just put the steam in steampunk.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 12:18:44 am »

wow - I think that bikini just put the steam in steampunk.

I knew i shouldnt have posted that pic Grin

Focus people!!!!
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 12:19:54 am »

I knew i shouldnt have posted that pic Grin

Focus people!!!!

I do believe they are focussing  Wink

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Prof. Brockworth
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:44 am »

I do hope you lined that bikini!

*starts furiously making chainmail bloomers*
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 12:31:24 am »

I do hope you lined that bikini!

*starts furiously making chainmail bloomers*

Yes it has leather backing on the triangle bits. Its attached to the maille via grommets with rings in them.

BTW Is there any point to me talking about the technical aspects of this?  Wink
Prof. Brockworth
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:39 am »

I've had a standing order with a strapping Amazon friend for some time, but she has yet failed to provide me with a sample bikini.  I'm pleased to see that you've done it the way I was planning to!   

Judging from the sky behind your friend, she must be one of the fabled Wild Women of Mars?  [/oaf]
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 01:04:26 am »

I've had a standing order with a strapping Amazon friend for some time, but she has yet failed to provide me with a sample bikini. [/oaf]

This photo took nearly two years to get. It was always "I want to lose some weight and tone up first"

I'm pleased to see that you've done it the way I was planning to!  

Bra pattern using the "M" shape for the cups? As on the website www.chainmail.com

Judging from the sky behind your friend, she must be one of the fabled Wild Women of Mars?  [/oaf]

Actually that's a feature wall at her house
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 01:55:50 am »

Mail is hefty but very satisfying to make. 

Since I assume this is for costuming purposes, you may want to look at aluminium mail. The alloy 5356 is referred to as "bright aluminium" because it stays shiny and does not oxide much. Its also reasonably strong and is commonly available from welding shops.

(Yes i know its a cliche but its what my friend wanted)

This used 5356 alloy welding wire (1.6mm thick). Ring size was 8mm inner diameter.

It is also very light and has stayed shiny for 2 years

All I know is that I need more friends like yours...

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 01:59:22 am »

Well at least if she´s ever at the beach and someone start shooting arrows at her, she´s got a good chance of surviving.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: