The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 11:50:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveller's journal web design  (Read 1322 times)
Lexiphanic
« on: March 12, 2007, 08:41:42 am »

Although not technically steampunk (no steam), I thought some might be interested in the themes in this website design as to some degree it fits the aesthetic.

Admittedly, it is my own design. Starting in July 2006 and finishing in late September 2006, I took a trip from London to Hong Kong by railway and ferry and wanted to make it interesting for those that were following the journey -- not just a standard blog -- so I did up a design with maps and travellers' fare that would appear a little compelling.

Here's the site: wander.lexiphanic.com.
I ask that you're patient as it takes some time to load -- it's rather graphically-heavy. Look for anything that says "Hide" or "Show", as it means something might move about.
Feel free to browse, as it extends through Scandinavia, Russia and China.

Maps are sourced (harvested if you will) from old map archive websites. If you look closely at how some of these sites work, you can figure out how they store the full-size maps and extract them out for use without their customized viewing software.

I've only just realised I like the steampunk thing in the last few days, but looking at that personal site design it seems rather obvious! (as well as the things I like being steampunk related (clothing, jewellery, geary stuff) In any case, I'm glad I found this site. Smiley

(p.s. I hope no one thinks this is spamming. Just thought some might be interested.)
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

A Most Improper Victorian Lady

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:07:21 pm »

I like the postcard setup for entries to the journal. They're a nice touch.
Lasairfion
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 10:03:54 pm »

I really like your site. I'm just having a look around now. I'd love to travel around China. I might speak Mandarin, but I've never been.

Speaking of maps: I've sourced a few favourites from this list:

http://www.maphistory.info/imagetheme.html

I'd show some pictures but they tend to be huge and so phtobuxket would only squash them down.
Lexiphanic
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:44:17 am »

Thanks a lot. Smiley The trip itself was awesome.

Also, I forgot to mention that every entry on the site was made from a mobile phone not a computer (more cyberpunk than steampunk but still potentially interesting). Hence I was able to post entries from the trans-Siberian railway as it passed through the Gobi Desert and so on.
Not much Wi-Fi out that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: