The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 03:27:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~The Repeating Pulse-O-Matic~ New Gun Progress  (Read 1765 times)
Talyn
Gunner
Gravatar

« on: December 09, 2007, 04:11:28 pm »

Hello all, its been a while since i posted something new, so here i am with another gun. This one Im a bit iffy on the finish of and need some opinions. Im not quite sure to go in the steampunk or retro futurist direction, as far as the paintjob. Its got some elements of both. I was thinking a kind of rough, hammered metal finish like the Weta Rayguns, slight weathering, but not much brass copper or patina. Thoughts?

It was made from extra pieces and a weird disk shooting gun I got at a local hardware store. Basically cut off the front and top piece and used the top piece as the front barrel, then added in an extender barrel and other pieces. The top hatch has a nice boiler hatch look to the detailing, but I couldnt find a place on this gun that it fit, so its saved for another day.

Also, there is no trigger, and the grip looks quite plain, Im not sure where to go with both of these issues.

Steampunk Cybernaut
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:05:33 pm »

This has outstanding potential, and kudos on the first stage of design work; I think you're going in the right direction as far as color, and if you can pull off the hammered metal look, do it.  What I seem to see quite a bit here on the boards (and I have yet to construct my own weapon... yet... hehe... so take this for what it's worth) are good designs by some fine folks, but rather rushed jobs on the finishing and painting touches.  To me, this stage of it is the most critical.

My only suggestion(s) would be that whatever color pattern and choices you make, spend some time on the fine details (even if you think nobody will notice, believe me... the payoff is great) and maybe do a very cool Victorian latticework design on that wonderful blank space of that handle.  That spot is begging for some fine faux-pearl or -ivory work (or even leather riveted goodness) if you can find some pieces and/or materials that seem to want to marry themselves to that handlegrip.

Take your time on the paint and finishing, and it will be not only a pistola to die from, but one to die for!

---ijw
Steampunk Cybernaut
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 06:11:55 pm »

This has outstanding potential, and kudos on the first stage of design work; I think you're going in the right direction as far as color, and if you can pull off the hammered metal look, do it.  What I seem to see quite a bit here on the boards (and I have yet to construct my own weapon... yet... hehe... so take this for what it's worth) are good designs by some fine folks, but rather rushed jobs on the finishing and painting touches.  To me, this stage of it is the most critical.

My only suggestion(s) would be that whatever color pattern and choices you make, spend some time on the fine details (even if you think nobody will notice, believe me... the payoff is great) and maybe do a very cool Victorian latticework design on that wonderful blank space of that handle.  That spot is begging for some fine faux-pearl or -ivory work (or even leather riveted goodness) if you can find some pieces and/or materials that seem to want to marry themselves to that handlegrip.

Take your time on the paint and finishing, and it will be not only a pistola to die from, but one to die for!

---ijw

Talyn:

After finally deciding to peruse your website, I feel silly for even mildly lecturing you on finishing touches... I am positive you will do a great job.  Good luck!

---ijw
Talyn
Gunner
Gravatar

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:27:59 pm »

lol, thanks. Do a search for my previous projects here as well to see the other guns ive done Smiley
spcglider
Officer
United States United States

Fifty characters isn't enough to write my message!

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:51:49 pm »

Superior potential there.  It is obvious that the aesthetic of Steam Punk is alive and well in the minds of toy designers everywhere!

My most critical point: DON'T RUSH.  Take your time and enjoy the "build".  If the project starts growing here or there but will make a superior end result, go ahead and follow where it leads.

I am still in the middle of a project that I thought would be easy cheese... but it's still growing and developing.  When it's done, it should be truly spectacular. I'm very anxious to see it done, but I don't want to skimp and blow the look.

So, kick back, take your time. Enjoy yourself and explore the creative impulse. It'll be worth it.

-Gordon

Professor Gordon Elias Weatherbee, Tinker and Time Travel Machine Repair. All models serviced.
willow_twig
Officer

No one move, I have a doilie!

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 07:52:40 pm »

Greetings,

I think I would absolutely do something with the handle. Even painted, as is, it will have a Flash Gordon/Art Deco look to it. What about a skin wrapped around the back, but not all the way to the trigger area. You could then add grip checkering to it, or give it an engraved flintlock vine pattern.... something, just to add some additional layers of detail. I think I'd also add a rather decorative trigger guard, as well. You've chosen a nice starting carcass, though.

Member, Van Helsing Society
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 10:12:03 pm »

Very nice base design you have created there,Talyn.

I can see your problem, you could go with either Steampunk or Retro. Its a design that works for both. I think its going to come down to the handle detailing.

For a steampunk design what about a lace up leather cover for the grip? (have you seen that design on the forums?)

Any thoughts to color scheme? Gunmetal? Brass?
Darth Saber
Officer

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 10:25:32 pm »

I know exactly where you're coming from. I had the same dilemma with my gun...Steampunk or retro.

What you could do is, bring the image into photoshop (Do you have photoshop?), and capture the gun with the lasso tool. Then adjust the colors to get either a steampunk or retro feel, and then decide which one suits you best.

As for the handle, maybe you could handle plates to either side. Pick up some patterned styrene sheets from plastruct and see how it might look on the grips. Just cut the shape out, then lay the sheet on the handle and hit it for a few minutes with a blos dryer so the sheet will conform to the shape of the handle.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 10:38:16 pm »

pearl handle grips!
Talyn
Gunner
Gravatar

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 11:25:51 pm »

I know exactly where you're coming from. I had the same dilemma with my gun...Steampunk or retro.

What you could do is, bring the image into photoshop (Do you have photoshop?), and capture the gun with the lasso tool. Then adjust the colors to get either a steampunk or retro feel, and then decide which one suits you best.

As for the handle, maybe you could handle plates to either side. Pick up some patterned styrene sheets from plastruct and see how it might look on the grips. Just cut the shape out, then lay the sheet on the handle and hit it for a few minutes with a blos dryer so the sheet will conform to the shape of the handle.

Im a graphic designer, i definetly have photoshop Cheesy Yeah Im thinking this one is going to end uop between steampunk and retro, which is fine with me, im just gonna play it by ear and see where it ends up. Not sure if I even want a trigger, maybe just some type of flip switch or push button in the trigger area.  Im probably going to end up doing the plates on the grips though, i did some stencils and that looks pretty good. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: