The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 09:48:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A 10 000 year clock  (Read 2323 times)
kyriu
Gunner
Portugal Portugal

« on: March 11, 2007, 06:46:24 pm »

It's not important to be steampunk if it interests steampunk people (ahah, I got away now from the definition people!). This guys are making a 10 000 year clock. if you see the technological considerations and materials used I bet I need no more words.

http://longnow.org/projects/clock/

check all the links in the left bar about

*  Principles
    * Prototype 1
    * Orrery
    * Chimes
    * Other Ideas

two images for wetting the mouth:

Kyriu

Cultural Instigator @ Radio Zero
http://www.radiozero.pt
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 06:50:16 pm »

::drools::

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 06:55:56 pm »

There is something mildley Difference Engine about it, huh? I like Grin

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 07:01:15 pm »

Don't forget the orrery and the chimes!

fixed_expression
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:03:43 pm »

That's actually rather beautiful. Not the clock itself, although that is pretty stunning, but if you go to the site and read the guys original ideas behind building as a monument to human ednavour, and a symbol of hope for the future. The idea of intentionally creating not only a monument (which is easy) but also a myth, is awesomely powerful...setting out to fashion something that lives in human memory for potentially thousands of years. I envy the guy his vision to imagine something like that, and the drive of others to actually try and put it into practice. Somehow the cynic in me has to believe that it will fail, but I hope it doesn't.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:13:10 pm »

Do it expose somewhere ? Do it in the ''portée'' of a poor quebecer who depends to is family for out town travel?

A so want to see it live. Grin

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 09:34:10 pm »

Feels like it would exist in a future steampunk setting more than an alternate past...It's really cool.

That is a lot of of years...

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
kyriu
Gunner
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 10:08:06 pm »

Do it expose somewhere ? Do it in the ''portée'' of a poor quebecer who depends to is family for out town travel?

A so want to see it live. Grin

the first prototype is in the Science Museum in London

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_of_the_Long_Now
Chuzzlewit
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:24:49 am »

The Long Now project is wonderful and always worth keeping an eye on. The prototype clock in the London Science Museum is also worth a good stare. Board member Stewart Brand wrote a fine book on the idea, The Clock of the Long Now: Time and Responsibility, in which he discusses the philosophy of the project and the difficulties of "how we make long term thinking automatic and common, instead of difficult and rare."

A fun passage is the writer's inspirational visit to Big Ben in Westminster, the world's largest accurate clock, which is described as an example of "sublime technology: an engineering artifact that inspires public awe and fetishistic admiration" (and designed, naturally, by a Victorian amateur horologist...)

"`Suppose, after all, it all ends in your butterflies and morlocks. THAT DOESN'T MATTER NOW. The effort's real. It's worth going on with. It's worth it. It's worth it, even so.' . . .
Blinding_Gold_Goggles
Officer

BGG is fine...

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 05:05:39 pm »

It's worth noting that digging around his site he had all the plans for the existing clock in dxf and pdf format so you could build one for yourself.  (An achievement currently beyond my skills...*ahem*)

http://www.longnow.org/projects/clock/prototype1/

Though at the moment I can't find the link.  I have the files somewhere as they were freely allowed to be downloaded at the time.

10,000 year stirling powered steampunk clock anyone? Wink

----
If it's wrong to want a brass mechanical pig with wings then I don't want to be right!
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 06:24:17 pm »

Words fail to describe...

*several minutes later*

If someone builds a time capsule I want them to include one of those...why? Because it seems relatively straightforward to fix the mechanical bits should it fail. Pity there's no way to keep the thing running for a full 10 000 year arch.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 06:31:53 pm »

A fun passage is the writer's inspirational visit to Big Ben in Westminster, the world's largest accurate clock, which is described as an example of "sublime technology: an engineering artifact that inspires public awe and fetishistic admiration" (and designed, naturally, by a Victorian amateur horologist...)

The buildings pretty nifty too, not as nifty as the proposed albert memorial that didn't quite make it. A stampunkier building you couldn't hope to see.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: