The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 04:55:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P.I.R.A.T.E.S.  (Read 12159 times)
Luminous Grey
Gunner
United States United States

The sky outside is...

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2007, 06:08:38 am »

Ah yes, the schematics... Where did I put those? (She rummages through a chest, piling the seemingly endless contents on the floor. Random bits of machinery, half eaten sandwiches, and other such treasures. Eventually, she pulls out a crumpled roll of paper, and hands it to him.)

Here it is, then. You'll have to excuse the state it's in. All that chicken scratch on the side are notes from previous mechanics. Don't ask me what exactly they mean. In any case, my problem. You see, the wings attached to my dear craft are my most reliable steering mechanism. The levers in the front are used to change their position. However, if I ever pull a lever too quickly, the gears come out of alignment and become stuck. Since I'm no technician, it takes me a bit of time to unstick them. There used to be a semi-automated piloting system that could be programmed by switching out the visible gears and activating some other mechanism I never quite understood, but with this situation, I can't trust it to run on its own.

Since you seem quite capable, I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what's wrong, and perhaps even explain this auto-system to me.

Thank you kindly.

So I like to get high off the dust on the 170-year-old books in the library. What of it?
Proud Member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2007, 01:40:09 pm »

Indeed Madam, I shall do a complete systems check now.

(Rummaging through his bag, pulls out a pair of rather odd looking glasses, puts them on.)

well, the shematics are fine, the other mechanics seem to have not known the complete functions of most aspects of this fine vessel. Now, if I take this, move that, adjust a few gears, and change one of those rods..I believe I have one to spare.

(Tinkering, some loud cranking sounds, as he adjusts the mechanisms, attempting to fix what past mechanics have done)

There! I do believe it's done! (Removes glasses, wipes forehead)
The steering mechanisms have been repaired, I have completely refurbished the semi-auto piloting system. It is now not only functional, but I dare say it will be far superior to what you had.

Now, Madam, if I may direct your attention to this set of levers and knobs (motions to a box on the side of the craft, with two levers and three knobs)
If you pull this one (motions to the left most lever) It will activate the piloting system. (gears are heard shifting, pistons begin to move as the system activates) Now turn this big red knob, and it will allow the craft to accelarate to an optimal speed. Turning it too much, however, will not make it go faster. Now, if you turn this smaller, brass knob (motions to the knob beside the red one) The system will make the balloon rise, at a steady rate. This knob is quite sensitive. Please do not turn it too much, or the vessel will shoot upwards at a very rapid pace. The final knob (motions to the gleaming black knob) Is the emergency response knob. This one is not active at present, and will instead do nothing currently (I plan to add a defense system for this area, if that pleases you, Madam).

The final lever, yes, that big one with the green handle. That will allow for turning. Pull it left, the vessel moves left. Pull right, the vessel turns right. Now, to disengage the system, simply pull the original lever (yes, the one on the left) back to its original position. As you can see, Madam, it works. I hope it is to your liking. If not, I can change it with a bit of time and effort.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:55:12 pm by MrFats » Logged

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2007, 02:54:31 pm »

My dear Adml.
If you could kindly change the name on the first post from "Mr. Shank" to "Sir Francis Miller" I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Your good friend
Sir Francis Miller

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
Adml. Etherington
Snr. Officer

Airship Pirate

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2007, 06:44:27 pm »

Sir Francis Miller, the change to the Council roster which you requested has been completed.

MrFats, I have taken the liberty of updating your position as well, and you are now listed as "mechanic, currently assigned aboard the Vaporous Blue"

The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds.
 - Theo Jansen
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2007, 07:31:39 pm »

Thank you Admiral, Sir! (salutes). I shall do my best to make sure she is a top-notch vessel that will bring honor to P.I.R.A.T.E.S.!

Miss Grey, may you please inspect the work I have done, so I may know if it pleases you?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:07:49 am by MrFats » Logged
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2007, 06:19:00 am »

(Paces around the Blue, thoughtfully.)

Congratulations, Mr. Granville. I have never seen her in such fine condition since... well ever, actually. Not even when I first... obtained her, was she a vessel so fit for the skies. (extends hand) I am pleased to have you as part of my crew. (Also, I'd be quite interested in hearing about this defense system, if you'd care to explain it at a later date...)

Now surely, you all have taken notice of the communication between UFAS and OBSCURE? If word is true, the two are forming an alliance of their own. Whether or not this is a threat to us cannot yet be determined, but should the time come, I believe we should be prepared to strike.

(Of course, with Sir Ishmael on our side, this issue may be moot...)
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2007, 08:49:48 am »

PIRATES, please realize that the alliance between UFAS and OBSCURE is entirely defensive. We are no threat, we prefer more honest methods of persuasion.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2007, 04:44:15 pm »

Indeed Sir, I should hope so..

Miss Grey, it is something quite wonderous, should I ever get it up and running...well, enough of that.

There are other things I am attempting to construct, and should have a prototype of a small personal weapon shortly. Of course, this would not just be for our crew alone, but for all the other members of P.I.R.A.T.E.S.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2007, 04:18:18 am »

It's a portable Tesla coil, modified for a higher discharge and allowing it a greater arc and distance to the target...I call it the Portable Tesla Cannon. I'm sure you can all figure out what it is capable of.

This is the Steam Shot...this personal weapon shoots a strong, compressed stream of steam...While this does not seem very lethal, considering steam is extremely hot, and it shoots a very strong jet of it...well, surely all of you can figure this out. Also, this weapon has a defense mechanism and, when the knob on the side is turned, it will shoot out a massive cloud of steam, allowing the wielder to flee, or create a diversion for whatever means are required.

If either of these are to your liking, Admiral, Sir, I can produce them en masse, to distribute to those amongst us who wish to carry weaponry. I already have one, and, at Miss Grey's request, can give her one as well.
Please excuse the quality of the photographs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 05:39:46 am by MrFats » Logged
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2007, 05:37:07 pm »

Ingenuous.
Though I will not be using one personally, I will certainly be equipping my crew with them immediately. (you see, I never was one for guns...**pulls out part of sword from cane for a few seconds before sliding it back in** Its nothing personal, I hope you understand)

I am actually designing a high powered air harpoon gun. If all goes well it could penetrate a ship from over one hundred and fifty meters away.
Once I get the general gun down, I may be able to make it relatively portable.

Sir Francis Miller
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2007, 06:58:41 pm »

Well, Sir, which model weapon would you like? Or both, perhaps? I can start assembly immediately!

And I do not take such things personally. Master has taught me in various forms of swordsmanship, so I am partial to a good blade myself (motions to the long sheath on his back). Actually, with the exception of mechanics and invention, he taught me most that I know now.
Darksmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2007, 12:42:42 am »

Maintenance Report to Adml. Etherington:

My time has been spent in the engine room of the Dollymop. There has been a few things that are in need of repair and have already been taken care of, all in all it was in good condition when I arrived. I have also been tweaking a few things, and have enhanced the torque which will give us faster acceleration, and a slight boost to our top cruising speed. It seems to me that there are no other pressing issues for me to worry about, so with your leave, I shall return to my workshop to continue on some side projects I have going. If you have need of me, I shall be ready, and am more than willing to help out the other ships of the fleet if you see fit.

Chief Fleet Engineer
                      Darksmith

Strike while the irons hot
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 02:16:05 am »

Miss Grey, being that you are my captain, you shall have first pick of the weaponry I design. Would you like one made for you?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:15:58 pm by MrFats » Logged
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2007, 12:20:32 am »

Well, Sir, which model weapon would you like? Or both, perhaps? I can start assembly immediately!

And I do not take such things personally. Master has taught me in various forms of swordsmanship, so I am partial to a good blade myself (motions to the long sheath on his back). Actually, with the exception of mechanics and invention, he taught me most that I know now.

Yes, my good man.
I believe I would like 20 of your Portable Tesla Cannons to be equipped to my crew. As soon as you could possible get them to me I would greatly appreciate it.

My regards,
Sir Francis Miller
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2007, 01:10:02 am »

Indeed, Sir. Give me a few hours (most are almost assembled) and I shall have them sent to your ship straight away!
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2007, 06:04:52 am »

(A young gent rushes up to Mr. Shanks, holding a note. Behind him, is a large crate, marked WARNING)

I apologize, sir for the delay. Seeing as how I am currently not around, and am at Salvage, I must tend to matter thusly. here are the cannons you requested, plus 3 extra, and 10 included Steam shots. Whether you choose to use them, is your decision to make.The tesla cannons are very powerful, and have a great distance. While this is advantageous in some situations, others it may be too large, or too powerful. The cannons, if you look at the diagrams, have a meter, measuring the voltage. Please DO NOT let that go all the way to the right, as the weapon will destruct. Indeed, the two knobs placed on the side are for two very nice functions. The first (closer to the meter, is an emergency shutoff, that will completely stop any electrical flow inside the weapon. The second, further knob is for adjusting those nice lenses on top of the weapon, when aiming at a far away target. One more word of caution: Never expose the Tesla Cannons to water, as they WILL malfunction Also, as this is electricity, firing into water is a very unwise idea. Thank you, and enjoy the new products I have supplied.
                                                                                                                        Sincerely,
                                                                                                                    Octavius Granville

(The gentleman motions to the cart, indicating it is for Mr Shanks to take, and briskly walks off into the distance.)

Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2007, 06:31:37 pm »

Well, those certainly are fine weapons, aren't they? Yes, I believe I should like one of both of them. Keep up the good work, mate.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2007, 11:48:43 pm »

My good friend Octavius,
I thank you for the shipment and the delay was of no importance. I will be sure to show off your inventions with Pride!!

My Regards,
Sir Francis Miller
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2007, 01:30:09 am »

A gentleman arrives with a small box for Captain Grey, and a note for Sir Miller. The gent places the box on the floor, and the note on top of it, motioning Miss Grey forward.

My good captain, Miss Grey,
 I do apologize for leaving so abruptly, I had some urgent business in Salvage. I also needed to restock for my other inventions, which shall soon be unveiled, of course, to members of P.I.R.A.T.E.S. For now, here are your two weapons, engraved with your initials. Please read the instructions, and I shall return with haste quite soon. Once more, I am sorry, and shall see you again within a few days.

With Regard,
         Octavius Granville

Afterward, he hands a note to Sir Miller, and departs.

Sir Miller, I do appreciate your continued understanding and hope these weapons shall aide you well. Next time, I shall see the delivery to you personally.

With Regard,
                 Octavius Granville

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:59:04 am by MrFats » Logged
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2007, 11:04:47 pm »

My good friend Octavius.
Both weapons are working very well and I thank you for them.
Regards,
Sir Miller
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: