The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 27, 2017, 05:54:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Herr Döktor's new weapon: THE STEAM PISTOL-FINISHED PICTURES PAGE 9!  (Read 34614 times)
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« on: November 18, 2007, 11:02:15 pm »

Some of you will have seem my last effort, but after the meet up at the Black Country Museum, I found myself inspired by the boilerplate on view to make something new, so, after purchasing an acrylic wine glass and champagne flute, surveying my parts box, and finding an acrylic hemisphere, some plastic shot glasses and various other bits and pieces, I came up with this:

The vaned fronts on the side boilers are made from a mould taken from an air-freshener refill, and the yellow rivets are 6mm BB pellets.

The boiler plate cover on the top of the gun is a modified casting from a large scale locomotive model made by a company I once worked for (it looked nice, so i cast a couple of copies for myself!)

The lanyard hook is a brass lighting hoop ring, screwed onto a length of threaded lamp tube, both from Fred Aldous, the brass finial on the back of the gun was also sourced from here.

The end of the barrel, resembling a Western style steam train chimney, is made from a plastic shot glass, and the nosecone from a firework rocket!

This is a work in progress, I will update this thread as and when there's something to show you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:30:28 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:05:11 pm »

I think that is more imaginary than most of the ray guns I´ve seen on here.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:15:42 pm »

Yep...
that says "Ray gun" to me...
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:41:28 pm »

Nice stuff, what are plans for it next?

Herr Döktor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 12:22:52 am »

Nice stuff, what are plans for it next?

Well, MORE RIVETS, for a start! Then a stopcock or tap somewhere, filler caps on the water tank and boilers, a guage somewhere, stanchions for the brass pipe work, more brass pipework; oh, and a trigger, definitely a trigger! Smiley

I'll probably wind up giving it a dirty brass effect finish: if I'm feeling rich, I might get a quote for having it vacuum plated in a brass finish, but that'd probably cost a couple of hundred pounds!  Shocked
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:20:02 am by Herr Döktor » Logged
Offlogic
Officer
United States United States

It's still not WEIRD ENOUGH!

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:26:15 am »

Ever read "A Martian Ricorso"?  It had a glasslike, steam powered pistol that used the thermal reaction of sulfuric acid mixing with water to produce steam.
Your work could be the very realization of the description, or and advancement from it.
Very nice work!

HST: Gonzo but not forgotten
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:08:33 am »

In some gadget shops you can buy a gun that shoots smoke rings. You could try and find out how that works, see if you could incorporate it.

http://www.zerotoys.com/newsite/products/newzeroblaster.htm
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:12:25 am by Atterton » Logged
Augustus Dayafter
Snr. Officer

Chief Medical Officer ~ S.S. Seraph

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:15:44 am »

So nice... I hope that you do leave some of the "crystal" appearance in some places. I really like this piece sir, good show!
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

A most elegant design Herr Doctor.  The moon men won't stand a chance!

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Commissar Swoosh
Officer

Inventor of the Mechanical Cheese Wheel

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 02:29:57 am »

You have discovered a great defensive tool to add to any weapon. Remove the trigger. You can't use it but the moon men can't use it against you either!

If God thought The Doors were better than Cream, Jim Morrison would be able to defend his band today. Either this disproves God, or proves Clapton is the real god.
Commander Obadiah
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

Gatherer of Misguided Inventions

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 07:05:29 am »

Madness! That would look simply incredible with a few LEDs inside of it. As it is, that's pretty darned swanky. Can't wait to see it finished.

Commander C. Obadiah

Post Script: Excellent way of thinking of it, Commissar.

The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'
Darth Saber
Officer

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 07:12:13 am »

great work Herr Doktor!! (BTW, I wasn't aware you were also a member of the RPF until just now...i remember your other gun)

DS
Doctor When
Zeppelin Captain

Proud to have been the first Steampunk in The Chap

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 11:17:41 am »

Looking good, Old Bean!

Some new parts for my Tesla Rifle project arrived today - a couple of lab condensers which will go to form the Ionisation Chambers... all I need now is time & induction coils...

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

i don't like cogs, gears, goggles or tesla

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 12:28:27 pm »

psst! you've forgotten the trigger...

other than that, its brilliant!  Cheesy
i love the cloudyness of the 'clear' parts, but you're probably going to paint over those i imagine... and the boilerplate casting is sheer genius!

i put a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3505.0">head in a tank</a> and a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=5309.0">toad in a box</a>, now i'm putting _____ into a ______
Porkshanks
Gunner

Molly 'Steampunk Jesus' Porkshanks VonFriedrich

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 01:21:11 pm »

I love the clear look of this!!!  You should most definitely not paint it, you should endeavor to fill it with interesting technical bits!  Could be a great Tesla-inspired raygun!!!

just my .02
Molly 'Porkshanks'

Weetobix
Officer

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 01:23:48 pm »

Looking spiffing so far - I'm looking forward to seeing the end results
Professor R.J. Hawkes
Officer

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 06:17:02 pm »

Very nice looking!

Formerly, and briefly, Tomcat1066.
Herr Döktor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 10:30:38 pm »

By popular request: a trigger:

Made from a piece of acrylic sheet, held onto a momentary switch with a grub screw, in case I should choose to add electrification:

(please also note, on the workbench, the simulcrum of an Egyptian ibis in spilt yellow paint)

And finished, prior to insertion:

I've also painted the barrel, after filling it with resin, as the shot glass and rocket tip it's made from were both a bit fragile:

More updates as and when, and thanks for the interest!
ColinJReed
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 10:39:34 pm »

i am simply enamored by the simplicity and elegance of this weapon. the addition of the trigger certainly helps it out as well. As the dude would say," it really held the room together."

this project certainly give me hope as I am venturing into the world of raygun crafting quite soon. While your skill level looks to be a bit higher than mine is with this sort of project, it at least lets me know that some of my ideas are possible, given the right twist of ingenuity.
Commissar Swoosh
Officer

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 12:48:53 am »

i am simply enamored by the simplicity and elegance of this weapon. the addition of the trigger certainly helps it out as well. As the dude would say," it really held the room together."

this project certainly give me hope as I am venturing into the world of raygun crafting quite soon. While your skill level looks to be a bit higher than mine is with this sort of project, it at least lets me know that some of my ideas are possible, given the right twist of ingenuity.

Shut the fuck up Donny.*

*See two posts down.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:37:51 pm by Commissar Swoosh » Logged
Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD
Zeppelin Captain

The clockwork crusader of truth

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 01:21:06 am »

I really enjoyed your first project in this genre. I look forward to seeing the results of this adventure! Keep up the good work

∞VonHart

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."
Commissar Swoosh
Officer

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 03:10:07 pm »

Shut the fuck up Donny.

It is a quote from the same movie he quoted, The Big Lebowski, it is a must see!

As for te steam pistol... I agree with Colin. The trigger really did add a lot.
Great Bizarro
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 08:41:19 pm »

Now if you can make it fire champagne I will take 2. It must be high quality champagne though, none of that cheap stuff served at news years in the states!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:13:33 pm by Great Bizarro » Logged

"No matter where you go, there you are"
skribb
Officer
American Samoa American Samoa

The Antithesis of Normal

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 07:45:53 pm »

Why are everyone so obsessed with silly 60's sci-fi rayguns? I myself prefer revolvers, rifles and gattling guns.

But all the clocks in the city,
Began to whirr and chime.
O, let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time!
Herr Döktor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 09:37:23 pm »

Why are everyone so obsessed with silly 60's sci-fi rayguns? I myself prefer revolvers, rifles and gattling guns.

It's not a ray gun, it's a Steam gun- using rapidly vapourised water to propel a small projectile at high speed.

Anyway, I am also working on a revolver, but this caught my attention and once the muse is upon me, I just can't stop!

UPDATE: MORE RIVETS!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: