The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 22, 2018, 09:47:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy projects for 2018?  (Read 551 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 01, 2018, 09:50:21 pm »

Over on James Harrison's model building thread, I noticed he'd produced a very comprehensive plan for his 2018 projects (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33399.msg988126.html#msg988126). So, I was wondering what the good denizens of BrassGoggles had planned for 2018? My plans are:

- Actually get on and make my entry for my Christmas Challenge (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47242.msg988559.html#msg988559Roll Eyes

- Finish off the new fascinator I started (but never completed) for the WMSA Worcester Christmas meet up.

- Finish the pattern and then actually make the red and black frock coat that was supposed to be done for last Halloween.

- Make up a gold and brown summer dress ready for all those lovely events coming up from May onwards. The material for this currently sitting in the loft.

- Make up a blue and white Georgian era inspired frock; again, the material is waiting up in the loft.

- Build the flapping mechanical wings my daughter wishes for (along with a new dress for February).

- Try to reproduce a Gibson Girl hairstyle and then see if it actually suits me...

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 02:05:25 am »

I have various projects in mind for 2018, but, alas, none of them particularly steampunk, unless I really strip out my office and completely redo!

The major house projects are: Firstly, remove the carpet, room by room - this is a big job and will have to be done in stages over the year. Apart from the floorboards I have no idea what is under the carpet as it was here when I moved in nearly 9 years ago. I am going to start with the hall, as it is the smallest room, with the least number of furniture items in it. I have underfloor insulation now, hence the carpet removal - it would have been foolish to remove it without some protection! If I don't like what I see I may just sand and paint, or not sand and put vinyl (not floorboard pattern!) down.

Secondly, do to my office what I have done to my workshop and back room! Make habitable/usable/workable!

All to be fitted around uni work - a busy year ahead for me! I may have to 'borrow' my nephew again for some of it!

Some craftwork and instrument making to fit in there as well.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:12:05 am »

I have an interesting idea for Bluetooth headphones. It involves articles of nature mixed with some Steampunk copper items.

Just an idea, but potentially very rewarding.

Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 09:08:19 pm »

My next project is to find an old camera - the bellows type, of course - so that I can modify it.  I want to portray Lady Mary Bailey, who was the first person to take photos of archaeological sites from the air.  She piloted her own biplane, and leaned over the side of the cockpit to take the pictures!
This is because I was given a Bakelite helmet, and with my goggles and a leather jacket, with a white silk scarf, and tan trousers and gaiters, I can already look like a plucky aviatrix.

Steampunk adventure featuring Manchester's Chinatown is now available on Smashwords!
The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare by Lesley Arrowsmith
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:23:49 pm »

Good thread!

I once had the idea to make an old-timey bellows style camera box and tripod to hide my wife's modern camera.  That way she could take good pics with her fancy lenses while appearing in character.  That would probably mean I'd spend the day lugging it around though...

Otherwise, the short list is:
waistcoat and morning coat so I'll have some formal attire

mechanical arm for a friend

adventurer harness for the wife

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:54:33 pm »

Sounds like we are collectively going to have a busy year!

Banfili, I do wish you the best of luck with your remodelling and equally the best of luck to Admiral Wilhlem on your new commercial project.

Amelia, Lady Bailey sounds fascinating and a brilliant inspiration for an outfit/persona; I hope the construction of the camera goes well. bicyclebuilder has completed a similar project (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,48512.0.html). Please do post pictures of your completed outfit.

Kensington, that's an eclectic collection of projects there; again, I hope they are successful and equally hope for pictures!

Any more new year plans?

Yours,
Miranda.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 09:04:18 pm »

Having found my house was a bit older than  I expected, in the dieselpunk era  of the interbellum,   I'm  taking a new tack on the garden. It was though meandering off on its own  mission  to  a more  empire  style.

Hollyhocks and hydrangea rule.   I have them down the side of my zeppelin hangar 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:10:25 pm »

Hollyhocks and hydrangea are the best thing for a zeppelin hangar!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 10:32:56 pm »

Hollyhocks and hydrangea are the best thing for a zeppelin hangar!

It looks like previous  residents  have been misguidedly using it a car garage.  The  hollyhock  and fox gloves  plantings should     fix that
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 11:30:49 pm »

Kensington, that's an eclectic collection of projects there; again, I hope they are successful and equally hope for pictures!

That it is.  At this point, we've all got SP garb, so now it's a matter of options or additions.

I do need to add SP lamps to the list.  been wanting to make some pipe brazier reading lamps so hopefully I'll get to that this year.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 06:25:09 am »

I have a LOT of upcoming projects in the works, however I am STILL behind on finishing several from last year, and a number are gathering dust dating back several years!

MY plan for 2018 : Finish what I already started, BEFORE I start anything new....  Roll Eyes

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 08:45:15 am »

Do you think that will happen, Siliconous?  Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 01:37:05 pm »

I've been working on something for a few months now. As usual I do not do anything by halves and has turned into a slightly larger than planned project involving cutting holes in floors, major brickwork, woodwork and digging out rather alot of clay under said floor. Having pondering time atm. Called it operation egg to oubliette, I really hope to get more done soon and get some decisions made on design!

And there is gas mask grimshaw, a ships figure head and the Maets airship I started a few years ago, Rad 2, oh, and about 10 leaded windows, and some taxidermy positioning still to finish.

You get the idea.................. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:59:14 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 07:13:13 pm »

So many project ideas, so little time.
However I will definitely be doing some more dressmaking (if only to use some of the mountain of fabric that I seem to have accumulated) and there are a few weapons that need a paint-and-decoration job; perhaps I'll also get around to a jet-pack this year - oh yes, and make the family of 1/12th scale steampunk dolls that have been in the 'ideas and to-do book' for the last three years, then there was that plan for a copper parrot, mustn't forget adapting that lamp or finishing those steampunk picture frames ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 01:34:10 am »

The kindergarten my grandchildren attend had 16 tatty rags that were once art smocks and my daughter 'volunteered' me to replace them. 5 down, 15 to go! They are not difficult to make, but they do get a little boring after the first 5...

Have to finish the Whiffometre. Have all the pieces now, so all it requires is some considerable assembly.

Also have about 5 nerf-type guns to Steampunk. One will be a bit art-deco space ray-gun. Have all the bits but have to think about how to connect a few things. I did one a while back and it turned out really well - but it could have been even better.

I am more of a maker than a attire-wearing Steampunk, but I would like a hat and some goggles and eventually an outfit. Just no-where to wear it down here in boiling-jolly-hot-land. I'm also a (lazy ;-) watercolour artist and have to do some paintings for an exhibition later in the year.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 04:19:40 am »

Many, many years ago, I made this action figure:

It was to have been a prototype for a fan convention exclusive toy, but due to difficulties with character licensing, expenses in tooling, and other practicalities, it was never produced. My design was sculpted over a McDonalds Power Rangers toy that I cut down to the height that I wanted. Hands and feet were replicated from hands and feet from Transformers Action Masters toys. All surface detail is my creation. I designed the toy so that all detail would be in the molded plastic because paint detail would probably have not been an option. An expert on plastic injector molding confirmed that dies could have been made from this model without modification. I made this toy ages ago.

I have an idea to make some steampunk themed action figures in 3 3/4 inch (small Star Wars) scale. I'd like to make the toy entirely mine; no stock manufactured toy underneath the Milliput putty. The detailing would be like the above toy; stylized; I don't think that I quite have the talent to do a realistic figure, and I think that a stylized look is better at that scale anyway. I have a vision of a carrying case filled with a variety of steampunk characters; heroes and heroines, villains, monsters, robots, aliens, etc. I think that I can duplicate the toy from epoxy resin and maybe sell them online.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 08:42:12 pm »

My next project is to find an old camera - the bellows type, of course - so that I can modify it.  I want to portray Lady Mary Bailey, who was the first person to take photos of archaeological sites from the air.  She piloted her own biplane, and leaned over the side of the cockpit to take the pictures!
This is because I was given a Bakelite helmet, and with my goggles and a leather jacket, with a white silk scarf, and tan trousers and gaiters, I can already look like a plucky aviatrix.

You'll definitely have to change your name though.  Whoever heard of an aviatrix called Amelia?    Grin
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 08:44:20 am »

• Make a dollhousing-style steampunk-themed room box
  • See if I can get a session of one of my alternate historical/fantasy RPGs played (Eg Deadlands Reloaded, Runepunk, Space: 1889 Red Sands, Weird War One, Kaisers Gate...
  • Get benchwork sorted so I can actually build a railway layout
  • Get an army built for Rippers: the Horror Wars
  • Get two or more armies sorted for Chaos in Carpathia
  • Make up one or more leagues for Pulp Alley
  • Finish painting some more steampunk-themed minis
  • Build a force for one VSF game or another (Current options: Space 1889: Soldiers Companion, Leviathans, Savage Showdown, Cloudships and Gunboats, Ironclads and Ether Flyers, Deadlands: the Great Rail Wars, Sky-Galleons of Mars, may acquire GASLIGHT this year, and my fleets for the Uncharted Seas need more vessels, as well as my Warmachines minis needing completion although I do not wish to buy Mk III), potentially involving Hinterland Miniatures' early 20th century (Rule 64 edition) figures
  • Finish painting my atompunk pulpy figures from Hydra and build a rocket
  • Paint my War Rocket and Crimson Skies minis, and preferably some WW1 as well
  • Buy, bash and scratch early armoured vehicles, including some steam vehicles for VSF, and more softskin vehicles for dieselpunk and pulp
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:46:14 am by chironex » Logged

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 12:08:20 pm »

I have one, big, project in mind.  I've had it in mind for several years and there's no real guarantee it will come to fruition this year either, but fingers crossed. 

I want to restore a Victorian or Edwardian house to something like it's 1905 appearance. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 01:01:14 pm »

I have one, big, project in mind.  I've had it in mind for several years and there's no real guarantee it will come to fruition this year either, but fingers crossed. 

I want to restore a Victorian or Edwardian house to something like it's 1905 appearance. 

All of the projects listed above are brilliant, but, ladies and gentlemen, I think we must agree that here we have the most most ambitious one imaginable (unless anyone is planning anything even bigger...  Wink ).

The very best of luck to you in this James (and of course also to all of the projects listed here).

Yours,
Miranda.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 01:21:45 pm »

All of the projects listed above are brilliant, but, ladies and gentlemen, I think we must agree that here we have the most most ambitious one imaginable (unless anyone is planning anything even bigger...  Wink ).

The very best of luck to you in this James (and of course also to all of the projects listed here).

Yours,
Miranda.

Well, when it does finally happen, there will be a build log of sorts posted.  I promise you that.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 01:18:16 am »

I might add one more: build a model of a properly Gothic, or Neo-Gothic, structure, rather than a Gothic-decorated structure which is a simple set of boxes in actual construction, which is commonly used in geming terrain.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 04:19:15 pm »

My only project this year is actually more Dieselpunk but 'retro-fitted' as to be more Steampunk.
Imagine a WW2 Russian soldier at Stalingrad as imagined should WW2 have been pre-WW1.
It's a uniform with all the accessories (helmet, Telogreika jacket, Harovari trousers, boots, belts, ammo packs, PPSh-41...) but altered to look more Victorian/Edwardian than the period that followed which was not named for a monarch. Basically more 'bling and brass'.

As some people will know my 'maker skills' are limited by arthritis and other health issues but I still try.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 07:05:29 pm »

It brings to mind something that happened in a town where I used to live.

There was an old house on Main Street, on a corner about two blocks from the business district. It was probably early 20th century, which is a respectable age for a house in a small midwestern town. It had large cast-concrete Roman style pillars out from, and if you mentioned "the house with the pillars" to anyone in town, they knew what your were talking about.

So in the late 80's, someone buys the house, which is a little run down at that point, and renovate it. They take out the old radiators and put in central air, and modernize the kitchen and bathrooms, but everything else is restored to a beautiful period look. Even the back yard has a turn-of-the century style flower garden. On July Fourth, the owner lines his sidewalk with little American flags. The home is featured in a local tour of homes.

Then the owner sells the house and moves to another town. Real estate is booming. The new seller splits off the back yard, which has a facing on the side street, and sells it to a builder who builds a new house on it. Gone is the beautiful back yard.

Then a young landscape company owner, who got rich quick in the housing boom buys the house. Within a week he hires a window contractor to remove those ugly old fashioned leaded windows and install nice new insulated fiberglass windows. He has those outdated roman columns removed, and and replaced with nice modern rectangular pillars. That ratty old wood lattice front porch was ripped out and replaced with a neat, clean, poured concrete block.

In short, the rich idiot ruined all of the original character of the house, and all of the expensive restorations that had been done just a few years before. Gone is everything that made the house appealing.

So if you do go the the effort to restore a historic house, I advise you to put something in the deed to prevent subsequent owners from ruining it.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 07:19:37 pm »

I've got a couple oak boxes that I found that I've been toying with turning into a "campaign furniture" inspired idea with screw-on legs that get stored inside the box along with a minibar and a selection of games.

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: