The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 25, 2018, 06:33:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did anyone get steampunk gifts for the holidays?  (Read 1056 times)
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« on: December 26, 2017, 09:13:07 pm »

Being a broke college student, I can almost never justify spending money on all the wonderful and unfortunately expensive steampunk items that I dream of. But once a year, a strange phenomenon occurs: family members are suddenly willing to buy me the lovely steampunk contraptions they think I will like, which are then wrapped in colorful paper and shoved under a pine tree (to marinate, perhaps?) until I can open them and revel in the new additions to my hoard of steampunk objects.

Did you get anything fun and steamy for the holidays?

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:25:18 pm »

Being a broke college student, I can almost never justify spending money on all the wonderful and unfortunately expensive steampunk items that I dream of. But once a year, a strange phenomenon occurs: family members are suddenly willing to buy me the lovely steampunk contraptions they think I will like, which are then wrapped in colorful paper and shoved under a pine tree (to marinate, perhaps?) until I can open them and revel in the new additions to my hoard of steampunk objects.

Did you get anything fun and steamy for the holidays?

Sadly I have no family to speak of to give me anything anymore outside of my mother, so whichever gift I get, it's from her or myself. Family Xmas events have died out slowly for me in the last decade, and completely dead in the last two years.

However, I do plan to gift myself a Steampunk gift. I'm waiting to feel safe enough to spend a little money after New Year.

I plan to get this cap (right) and Steampunk it (left):

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:40:10 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:26:29 pm »

I was the recipient of   the recent Wonderwoman DVD, from a thoughtful family member.   It has a decidedly  dieselpunk  influence.  

It leaves the 70s TV show behind and takes its own form. The ambiance and atmosphere are evocative  of another era.  Gal Gadot makes the  role her own.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 10:56:53 pm »

I received the book "Atlas Obscura", and a very smart hanging lantern for candles, but I don't think Bailey's counts as steampunk!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 07:35:29 am »

I received the book "Atlas Obscura", and a very smart hanging lantern for candles, but I don't think Bailey's counts as steampunk!!

Sounds interesting. All the less visited and most exotic places on Erath. Sounds fun, until you stumble on one of the entries, an it happens to be about you!  Shocked   Grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an online magazine and digital media company[1][2][3] led by American journalist David Plotz.[4] It was founded in 2009 by author Joshua Foer and documentary film-maker Dylan Thuras.[5][4] It catalogs unusual and obscure travel destinations, and relies heavily on user-generated content.[6] It features a mixture of feature and news articles on topics including history, science and some news, in addition to travel and exploration, as well as hosting a collaborative "guide" to the world's most obscure places. At last count, it had a circulation in excess of 1,000,000 page views per week.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 05:16:45 pm »

I got a Tricerataco!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:47:24 pm »

I got a Tricerataco!

What is that when it's at home?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 08:51:09 pm »

I got a Tricerataco!

Must be some sort of Tex-Mex Paleo diet fad. Sort of like Fred Flintstone wearing a sombrero
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »

I got a Tricerataco!

Must be some sort of Tex-Mex Paleo diet fad. Sort of like Fred Flintstone wearing a sombrero

Now that makes sense.  A Dino taco
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 12:12:01 am »

Not directly steampunk in comparison to the brass (effect) telescope I received last year, but in relation to the Steampunk makeup, hair etc. thread on Anatomical I did receive (after some seriously strong hints) a metallic eyeshadow pallet in very Steampunk shades. I also bought for the children the 221B Baker Street game, and I suppose Sherlock Holmes appears in enough Steampunk media for that to count.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 10:01:08 am »

Not directly steampunk in comparison to the brass (effect) telescope I received last year, but in relation to the Steampunk makeup, hair etc. thread on Anatomical I did receive (after some seriously strong hints) a metallic eyeshadow pallet in very Steampunk shades. I also bought for the children the 221B Baker Street game, and I suppose Sherlock Holmes appears in enough Steampunk media for that to count.

Yours,
Miranda.

I'm glad to be the originator of mischief...  Grin
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 02:56:11 pm »

I got a Tricerataco!

Here's a pic.  It's not steampunk.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 06:50:38 pm »

*snip*

What a lovely hat! It looks like it will be really warm, and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all steamed up!

I was the recipient of   the recent Wonderwoman DVD, from a thoughtful family member.   It has a decidedly  dieselpunk  influence. 

It leaves the 70s TV show behind and takes its own form. The ambiance and atmosphere are evocative  of another era.  Gal Gadot makes the  role her own.

The new Wonderwoman movie is literally the third superhero movie I'd ever seen, just because comics were never really my thing... but I loved that movie and am excited to see more! What a lovely gift!

I'm sure you could come up with some sort of steampunk-inspired cocktail!  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.

I also revived a metallic/nude eyeshadow this Christmas, and while I know I'll use it in everyday life, I'm excited to wear it to a more steampunk event  Cheesy

I got a Tricerataco!

Not steampunk but quite cute! 
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 09:11:53 pm »

*snip*

What a lovely hat! It looks like it will be really warm, and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all steamed up!

*snip*

I figure this January I'll be looking for brass curtain and flag pole finials and lamp ceiling plates  Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:27:24 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 02:13:54 am »

I got a Tricerataco!

There would be a specific market  for  that paleaopunk   taco
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 02:15:04 am »

*snip*

*snip*

I figure this January I'll be looking for brass curtain and flag pole finials and lamp ceiling plates  Cheesy

Is spray painted plastic acceptable or  do you require authentic brass fittings?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 04:13:09 am »

Plastic is difficult to paint always especially for something that will handled a lot, like a hat. I know there probably are a lot of non metal alternatives, but even wood would be preferable, because paint would more easily remain in place over a porous surface. Another alternative is cast plaster or bondo lamp plates, again because they're easy to paint. Plastic is always tricky.

Luckily there is an excess of metal lamp and curtain parts like plates and finials out there. Some may be plated like brass or brass plated. It doesn't necessarily need to be solid brass.
Eve Korvinus
Officer

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 03:29:07 pm »

I got a Steampunk themed relaxation colouring book along with my other equally fabulous gifts
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 08:49:10 pm »

Another beautiful steampunk journal, some jewellery and a pack of Anne Stokes steampunk playing cards, as well as two full net petticoats and some pheasant feathers to decorate my hats.
Now if only I had a tricerataco too ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 11:04:03 pm »

Another beautiful steampunk journal, some jewellery and a pack of Anne Stokes steampunk playing cards, as well as two full net petticoats and some pheasant feathers to decorate my hats.
Now if only I had a tricerataco too ...

Maybe Miss Cora, if you hadn't  been such a good girl., Santa might have given you more  ; }
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 04:58:50 am »

Hush, Ms Annie, good girls get steampunk gifts from Santa, bad girls get presents from bad gentlemen... [twirls moustache]

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 01:22:21 pm »

Considering I use the term for my particular blend of neo-Edwardianism, I think I did quite well for a steampunk haul of loot.

- 1/700 scale model of a German battleship (Grosser Kurfurst of 1913);
- 1/350 scale model of a British battleship (Lord Nelson of 1908);
- A book about British Colonial architecture;
- A book about battleship design in the 1920s and 1930s;
- A book about the battles of the Coronel and the Falkland Islands in 1914;
- A book about the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1957.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Kathy_Davidson
Officer

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 05:46:30 pm »

I got a Steampunk Edition of Munchkin.

Cheesy

There is no such thing as useless knowledge, just dull ways to obtain it.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 09:42:25 pm »

This piece of awesome,

oh and this...

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 04:50:55 am »

I was given a game called “Twisted,” which is a tabletop miniatures battle game of steampunk Dickensian London, along with some delightfully malevolent miniatures.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: