The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2018, 01:35:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last Jedi  (Read 615 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: December 22, 2017, 04:10:35 am »

Kind of surprised to be the one to start the conversation...

My brother and i’s review: A classically good Star Wars movie for me , the traditional meh mid-episode for my bro. A bit too much of a emotional rollercoaster for our taste and my sibling is quite pissed off about Hollywood’s  current falling in the ( if you permit the pun) dark side of storytelling.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:12:41 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:43 am »

I enjoyed it a lot. It's not a "traditional" star wars movie, but that's okay. That said, many of the people who disliked it seem to have approached it expecting a "traditional" star wars movie, and you simply won't get that with the new generation of star wars, I don't think. It had strong points and weak points, and there were a few things that felt like they maybe could have done without or done better, but I certainly wasn't displeased. I look forward to the next one.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 11:33:42 pm »

Is audience age now playing an active role in likes/dislikes from the public? NOTE I HAVEN'T SEEN IT - NO SPOILERS PLEASE! From the little I've gathered in the news, it seems to me that a lot of people who were dissapointed were using an older baseline (reference) for what they expected to see. Some have commeneted negatively on the "diverse" "politically correct" cast (I never realised that it was that much of an issue, even back then... does *anyone* even remember Lando Calrissian? Did not mind the "diversity" one bit.  Roll Eyes )

Personally I liked Rogue One a lot, precisely because it had a darker, less "sacharine" feel to it. And as for the darkness being controversial... I liked it, because it added a much needed underground "gritiness" and reality to the movie. You expect someone making a great sacrifice to be dragging in the mud of the trenches, not bunny-hopping to the finish line. Younger generations are far more desensitised to death and gore (thanks to video games) than any previous generation). I do worry about that bird-dog thing, though. I expect it will give Jar Jar a run for the title of  "most hated creature" in the franchise...

Could it be that finally there's enough of a disconnect between generations that it's impossible to continue the "traditional" Star Wars franchise? Let's face it, I'm getting close to 5 decades of age and I saw A New Hope in the theatre in Mexico City in 1978 (Back in those days there was a 1 year delay for American movies in Mexico).  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:53:21 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 07:41:58 pm »

I shot a video review of the movie, many times, and had to scrap them because an hour was just not enough time to cover all the things I wanted to discuss of this movie but way too long to expect people to sit and watch. I eventually managed to put together a "shorter" one. If you want to avoid spoilers stop at 7 minutes,

http://youtu.be/R2jAQO2AFbc

Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:00:11 pm »

I for one thoroughly enjoyed it, we saw the film in 3d, which we all thought was a little "off" at sometimes, didn't detract from the feature much. I won't say anymore than it was good to see "The Hunk of Junk"* flying again!

*possibly the best starship in ANY galaxy by far IMHO!!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 01:02:50 am »

We saw it today and enjoyed it. All of the people complaining about some of the scenes and/or characters are over thinking what is essentially a space opera series. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: