The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 06:21:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wells and Verne Adapted as Classics Illustrated Comics, Circa 1950: Cover Images  (Read 155 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: December 05, 2017, 07:29:33 pm »

I was going through old comics at my shop and found a Classics Illustrated adaptation of "Master of the World" with striking cover art, and thought that I should share some of those old covers here.

The series adapted works of literature that the publisher believed would appeal to children and have the approval of parents, so it was inevitable that the works of Jules Verne and HG Wells would be adapted.

The series was produced new comics from the early 1940's through the fifties, but the books were kept in print through to the early 1970's, and have had the occasional sporadic reissue up into the 21st century. Over the years, the cover art was changed, and sometimes the entire interior art was replaced.

Here are the H.G. Wells covers that I could find:

If you right click on the images, you can open them to a larger size in another browser tab. Notice that "The First Men in the Moon", "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", and "Off on a Comet" all got new cover art. The publisher seemed to have been following trends in entertainment and technological development. It is interesting that two Verne books features balloons on the covers, but neither of them was "Around the World in 80 Days".

Here are some Jules Verne covers:
Dr. Grindlebone
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:17:30 pm »

I actually still have copies of most of these..... Grin

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:41:59 am »

I have copies of many of them, but that's because I own a comic shop and have a small warehouse full of comics I've bought from collectors.
Dr. Grindlebone
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 03:09:52 am »

Heh...I live on a boat and have a small box of these things I've dragged around since I was a kid.......what to do with them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: