The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 06:22:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: David  Essex,  is he Steampunk {younger posters may have to ask their mums and nans}?
Steampunk Vaudevillian - 1 (11.1%)
Underrated Musical Genius - 2 (22.2%)
Vapid 70s Pop Idol - 1 (11.1%)
Raggle Taggle Tinker - 2 (22.2%)
Smarmy Git - 1 (11.1%)
Secretly Sinister - 2 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is David Essex Steampunk? - or is this blasphemy  (Read 314 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: November 28, 2017, 11:12:16 am »

Over the years  his big international  hit 'Rock On' is played on the classic hits station on occasion.  I recall a lady teacher being fixated with  Jeff Wayne's musical  version  'War of the Worlds'  LP  on its release.  Hand me down  teen magazines from an older neighbour had his face plastered all through them, his favourite colour  escapes me, as does  the kind of girls he liked [none I hope, he was married and well into his 20s].

Having never paid the man much consideration, being a small child at the height of his fame [or notoriety], his visage popped up on the net recently  and piqued my curiosity.  I read a little story, that led to a bigger story, which can be a dangerous enterprise. So I thought Darn it !!  I'll  check out  him out on Youtube.

I wasn't overcome with swooning  from his twinkly eyes,  or sent into a rave by his tight pants . I was struck though by his inclination to showmanship and participation in Old Timey musicals, some of which he wrote himself, most of which involve fun fairs.  All his professional endeavors appear to involve  the wearing of waistcoats and  neckerchiefs.  And hes a real gypsy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Essex
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/david-essex-19890810
http://www.davidessex.com/mytimeline/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/david-essex-being-a-dad-in-your-60s-isnt-ideal--but-i-love-it/

Out of  style for a short while - I don't think so

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:26:02 am »

Here he is in glory days  . A TOTP fave

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 11:39:22 am »

as sung to 10 - 15 yr girls

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:20 pm »

I'd classify him for want of anything better and only for part of his career, and going by the clothes as 'New Romantic'.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 06:55:34 pm »

Defiantly NOT "New Romantic" Banfill - Slap, Bang in the middle of "70's Vapid Teen Idol!" with a unique style of his own.

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:06:04 pm »

Defiantly NOT "New Romantic" Banfill - Slap, Bang in the middle of "70's Vapid Teen Idol!" with a unique style of his own.

and the deeper I delved - the more I wanted to slap him.  It was another era back then i guess. Definitely a  different style to the  other syrupy pop offerings at the time  though.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:48:22 pm »

I'd classify him for want of anything better and only for part of his career, and going by the clothes as 'New Romantic'.

He is still making a career of that look

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:47:43 am »

Nearest he gets to Steampunk is, as previously mentioned, The Artilleryman in Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds'.

Or maybe 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'....  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxdgClxw67Q

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:51:36 am »

Nearest he gets to Steampunk is, as previously mentioned, The Artilleryman in Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds'.

Or maybe 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'....  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxdgClxw67Q

Both are absolutely  apocalyptic .

I didn't appreciate the concept War of the Worlds  as a child.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 07:04:27 pm »

Back in the 70s he was on the edge of the Glam Rock style, hence the outfits. He did produce a few good songs though; "Only a winter's tale" is on our Christmas playlist every Yuletide.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 02:59:16 am »

Back in the 70s he was on the edge of the Glam Rock style, hence the outfits. He did produce a few good songs though; "Only a winter's tale" is on our Christmas playlist every Yuletide.

Yours,
Miranda.

David Essex appears to have influenced  the sound and or influence of other artists and producers of the era, including glam rockers  Mark Bolan  and Garry Glitter.  On a more serious note, one  can hear  his influence in pop hits  and see it in stage acts and costumes of others, up to recent times.

Experimenting in the studio one night Leander did one of those rare things: he synthesised a whole new pop sound from some unlikely sources. Every day he would be in the studio producing session after session. On this particular evening one of his charges David Essex, who he was producing at the time, phoned in sick and in the downtime Leander invented the Glitter band sound.

Rossall adds: "The whole Glitter sound started on a Mike Leander instrumental. He was working on a David Essex session and when David had rung in sick with a cold Mike started work on this instrumental. He was trying to do a Johnny Congas type of thing and it developed from there. He was also influenced by Osibisa’s rhythms. He then put this amazing droning guitar sound on it. He found an old guitar with a really bad action on it and put it through some really heavy fender tube amps till it was jumping off the floor and that was how that sound came about."

A Quietus Interview :John Robb , November 14th, 2008 12:12

When I heard this Essex number it was very familiar. Compare his Ooo I luv ya

david essex i luv ya

to Robin Thicke and  Pharrel  : Blurred Lines

Robin Thicke feat. T.I, Pharrell - Blurred Lines (Lyrics Video)

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »

Meh. Like saying Adam Ant was Steampunk on account of a Hussar jacket, in his 1980s videos, and  Given Ant's penchant for history (according to wiki  he had tattoos depicting Lord Nelson's last prayer before the Battle of Trafalgar). It's obvious from his videos below, but I'd say Ant stands a much better chance of having some Steampunk cred. How those videos came about is explained in the last link below (documentary).

Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes

Adam & The Ants - Stand And Deliver

Adam & The Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier

Documentary ("I love 1981):

Adam & The Ants - I Love 1981
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:51:25 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 03:54:57 am »

Don't tread on an ant... He'll come looking for you...

My friend wanted to be an Ant Person , as his followers were called.   He did have a distinctive style.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 03:57:20 am »

Mr Wilhelm, my grandfather was a hussar  before, during  and after Ww1. He married late in life.  I never met him nor have  I seen any   army  photos

So I don't know  if he was handsome and dashing
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 06:45:21 pm »

Meh. Like saying Adam Ant was Steampunk on account of a Hussar jacket, in his 1980s videos, and  Given Ant's penchant for history (according to wiki  he had tattoos depicting Lord Nelson's last prayer before the Battle of Trafalgar). It's obvious from his videos below, but I'd say Ant stands a much better chance of having some Steampunk cred. How those videos came about is explained in the last link below (documentary).

Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes

Adam & The Ants - Stand And Deliver

Adam & The Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier

Documentary ("I love 1981):

Adam & The Ants - I Love 1981

My favourite always was Stand and deliver; one of these days I will make my version of Amanda Donohoe's dress in that video.

Mr Wilhelm, my grandfather was a hussar  before, during  and after Ww1. He married late in life.  I never met him nor have  I seen any   army  photos

So I don't know  if he was handsome and dashing

That is a great shame. Have you ever tried searching through any of the online collections of military images? It seems in recent years a lot of vintage pictures, especially those from World War I, have been made available online.

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 10:11:50 pm »

I was under the impression that all Hussars were handsome and dashing - it was part of the job description, especially for officers! And rich!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 10:46:47 pm »

I didn't have any Hussars, but one of my family members, a great grand uncle, on the Basque/Italian side of the family went to the military academy in Paris and also wore a Mexican Army Pickelhaube, probably around the same time, during the 1910 Revolution or later.  Cheesy

I don't have a picture of him wearing a Pickelhaube (I must have if I dig in the family records hard enough), but here's what they looked like:

Mexican President Porfirio Diaz and first lady in a formal occasion, probably for the Independence Centennial, circa 1910. Note army officers are wearing Pickelhaubes. President Diaz is the one who mandated the Pickelhaube for the army. The revolution of 1910 put an end to Porfirio Diaz' requirement, but military academies continued wearing it until 1919.

Mexican Military Academy cadets, Sept. 8, 1910

A formal dress Mexican Army Pickelhaube (colonel?). Note the Eagle eating the snake, the Mexican coat of arms.
These helmets, with the plumes are being auctioned at prices over $11,000

A Mexican Cavalry parade Pickelhaube

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:05:38 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 04:29:40 am »

I was under the impression that all Hussars were handsome and dashing - it was part of the job description, especially for officers! And rich!

He was promoted to a non commissioned officer  during the Great War, while stationed in the Indian and Middle East. Sargent Major .   As I understand  he enlisted in his mid teens, before the war,  to escape the grinding poverty of turn of the century   London rookeries. His family were Irish immigrants.

He was a medium height, stocky ginger fellow with a  fiery temper by all accounts . Shortly  after leaving the army, in his late 30s,   he was  dashing enough  to get my straightlaced 25yr  grandmother in trouble  and have a rushed marriage.  My even more prudish aunt was very  distressed to find their marriage certificate 60. 5 yrs later, when making her retirement plans.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 04:59:30 am »

Quote from: J.

[quote author=Hurricane Annie link=topic=49446.msg987994#msg987994 date=1512356240

That is a great shame. Have you ever tried searching through any of the online collections of military images? It seems in recent years a lot of vintage pictures, especially those from World War I, have been made available online.

Yours,
Miranda.

One day Dear Miranda,  I hope to  research his military files. It would be interesting to know more about him as a young man. More files are being down loaded for public access.   I have methodist missionaries on my mother's side to investigate   further.    I'm suspecting some ancestry on both sides, that might not tally with  the story  officially passed down.    Let's just say there are traits  uncommon to Anglo saxons and Celtic folk, and more common To the Old Worlds and Silk Road.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 05:04:08 am »

I didn't have any Hussars, but one of my family members, a great grand uncle, on the Basque/Italian side of the family went to the military academy in Paris and also wore a Mexican Army Pickelhaube, probably around the same time, during the 1910 Revolution or later.  Cheesy

I don't have a picture of him wearing a Pickelhaube (I must have if I dig in the family records hard enough), but here's what they looked like:

Mexican President Porfirio Diaz and first lady in a formal occasion, probably for the Independence Centennial, circa 1910. Note army officers are wearing Pickelhaubes. President Diaz is the one who mandated the Pickelhaube for the army. The revolution of 1910 put an end to Porfirio Diaz' requirement, but military academies continued wearing it until 1919.

Mexican Military Academy cadets, Sept. 8, 1910

A formal dress Mexican Army Pickelhaube (colonel?). Note the Eagle eating the snake, the Mexican coat of arms.
These helmets, with the plumes are being auctioned at prices over $11,000

A Mexican Cavalry parade Pickelhaube

Mr Wilhelm, those pickelhaubes are fabulous.

I'm picking  my grandad spent most of his time in rolled up  khaki pants,   scratching his chest  through a dirty white  vest  like  few generations of his male descendents  have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: