The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 01:03:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenneth Branagh's 'Murder On The Orient Express'  (Read 212 times)
Ceir
Officer
United States United States

« on: November 21, 2017, 01:02:47 am »

Steam powered, but not steampunk, I suppose fits better out here. Didn't see a thread for this one yet.

Went to see MotOE this past weekend, and I thought it was pretty good! I know the story, though it's been years since I read it, so no twist ending for me - I went more because I like Branagh, and I really wanted to get a look at the sets and costumes on the big screen.

Visually, I think the film's a treat, both for the pratical and digital effects. Casting is...decent I guess, I don't really follow actors most of the time, but nobody really threw me off. I'll agree with the meme and give the Oscar for Best Supporting to Kenneth Branagh's mustache, too. A couple of the bits fell flat for me (cow pie!), but overall I got a genuine chuckle at most of the humor, and I'm glad they didn't try to pull an RDJ-Holmes and 'action it up' a lot.

All in all I'd say recommended, though maybe at matinee prices rather than full fare.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:22:22 pm »

Good movie. I was looking at the beautiful costumes and recorded, how it should look decent gentleman.

I wonder what made leather coat of the deceased, I think it's not just leather, but some kind of short fur.

And as someone said in the audience: "we Need to have themselves a crutch".

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:48:16 am »

Sorry everybody, but David Suchet's version of Poirot is the best.  Smiley

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 07:20:03 pm »

I'm mildly interested in watching that movie, but I'm not sure it's worth my time. I do agree that the series with David Suchet is timeless. I hardly see the justification for the reboot.

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 01:18:41 pm »

The only way to improve on the 1974 Finney and 2010 Suchet versions would be to set it in space or have a time travel device where it turns out  that Ratchett murdered himself.....

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 09:27:29 pm »

Saw this last night.  The scenery was lovely and the train was wonderful.  Of course the ending was no surprise to anyone in the audience but I am glad that I took the trouble to go.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 02:35:01 pm »

That film with David Suchet, the standard and Canon, I will not argue.

The first part of the film fidgeting, trying to accept that Poirot is now.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 11:59:06 am »

Visually, I think the film's a treat, both for the pratical and digital effects. Casting is...decent I guess, I don't really follow actors most of the time, but nobody really threw me off. I'll agree with the meme and give the Oscar for Best Supporting to Kenneth Branagh's mustache, too. A couple of the bits fell flat for me (cow pie!), but overall I got a genuine chuckle at most of the humor, and I'm glad they didn't try to pull an RDJ-Holmes and 'action it up' a lot.

I saw the trailer and it refutes everything you just typed. Complete with new Poirot's "Dastardly Whiplash" moustache.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: