The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 06:22:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Women Fainted So Much in the 19th Century  (Read 239 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:07:26 pm »

.....And How It Lead To The Invention Of The Vibrator:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ1-D2SNLKo&t=325s

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:27:26 am »

And here I thought it was the corsets...
YHS
Prof mvl

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:00:14 pm »

I'm all for corsets.

Not all countries have such a problem with sex in Victorian England. And in a swoon fell in many places.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
madamemarigold
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 06:15:32 pm »

"Corsets" definitely. Trying to get ones waistline to a incredible 18" (the prefers circumference) does significantly limit the intake of air into ones lungs resulting in said swoon.  Wink  Grin
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:01:35 pm »

"Corsets" definitely. Trying to get ones waistline to a incredible 18" (the prefers circumference) does significantly limit the intake of air into ones lungs resulting in said swoon.  Wink  Grin

You certainly do notice the difference when trying to climb a long flight of stairs when corseted  Roll Eyes I think the comment on the weight and warmth of the clothes is salient too, as probably many of us who have sallied forth on summer days in full Steampunk rig can testify. Although as Steampunks we do have far more liberty to play with out outfits and make them practical for the weather (mainly by showing a lot more flesh than would have been possible in Victorian times); I remember a jaunt a couple of summers ago where the ladies were fairing much better than the poor gents in their three-piece suits.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 05:10:13 am »

And here I thought it was the corsets...
YHS
Prof mvl

It was definitely  the corsets and delicate  constitutions of the ladies. How could anyone suggest otherwise

Embarrassed Angry Lips sealed
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »

I'm all for corsets.

Not all countries have such a problem with sex in Victorian England. And in a swoon fell in many places.

Interesting point. Germanic "Tracht" apparel being one such example. For both men and women, baring some skin on the arms or legs was not such an issue. We often forget that there was a whole other world outside of Victorian England.

While late 19th C English and French women's fashion were doing their best to cover every square inch of the body, it wasn't always so in the early 19th C, and in the colonies or former colonies. Social status dictated that the upper strata people emulate British or French fashion, while people in lower rungs of society tended to dress in what we consider a more "modern way." True for Japan and Mexico as well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:29:09 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:20:08 am »

From what I've read. In France, despite high-necked dresses were open manners.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: