The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 06:18:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorised Side Car  (Read 487 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: November 11, 2017, 04:50:20 pm »

Motorised Side Car.

Get rid of the motorcycle and just keep the engine on  one side. Add hot rod wheels and a petrol tank on the other side. I wonder if they added a structure or chassis of sorts. Can't tell from the photos how they attached the steering and suspension mechanisms. They would need something to make the body rigid. But it looks cool as heck.

Discuss.

I don't know about you guys but this looks like a good project...

Cheers,
JW
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:47:59 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 11:08:59 am »

This is a great idea - I've not seen it before anywhere, and would look great with the Zeppelin style sidecars.

I don't know much of the underside, but I believe there is a subframe that connects the far wheel to the bike, and the body sits on that.
I imagine the drive and steering would be the tricky bits.

Nice find! I want one now...

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 11:21:48 am »

What could you call it?  Oh yes, a car.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:25:27 am »

Similar concept to a drop-tank racer.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:26:29 am »

Deffo NOT a sidecar, they only have 3 wheels, that's a mashup of a quadracycle and a motorbike, nice looking but totally impractical, still get wet and stuck in traffic!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 12:36:20 pm »

I'm afraid it may not be street legal nowadays. To me the grainy lower photo looks like it was taken in the early 1980s at the latest (two early 1980s/late 1970s cars on the road at the same time are a rare occurrence, at least where I live).

Legislation banning these vehicles may not have existed back then. Back in the early 80s there were no modern quad-motorcycles/ all-terrain vehicles (ATV), that I can remember (Quadricycles are much much older than that though dating back to the 19th. C). Unfortunately, later in the 1990s and 2000s in the US and Australia, because of the inherent danger from the hight centre of gravity and oversize wheels in ATV's, all 4 wheel motorcycle based ATVs were banned from the streets. This probably means that this sidecar vehicle as shown, while more stable because of the lower centre of gravity, would still be lumped in the ATV category and thus be banned from the streets (legal for off-road use only).

In order to legalise it, the vehicle would have to pass strict safety standards, depending on where you live. Crashworthiness requirements may make it illegal almost anywhere in the world. Unless the laws are changed or the vehicle is certified somehow. Easy for a large car manufacturer to accomplish, but very difficult for a hobbyist.

Texas, in the sense of restrictions, is a more liberal state, however. I wonder if adding the appropriate lighting and submitting the vehicle to a special driving test (usually reserved for import cars) would suffice to legalize such a vehicle.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:38:59 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:06:59 pm »

Interesting, but impractical, one would think. Not to mention illegal - off roader here.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:09:22 pm by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 05:43:38 am »

Interesting, but impractical, one would think. Not to mention illegal - off roader here.

Now, after playing the devil's advocate, I'll swing back in support of the vehicle.

I'm not willing to outright call it impractical. That is not a fair assessment. No more impractical than a motorcycle. In fact on account of its bigger size, it'd be safer on the roads, just from a visibility standpoint. Also, in terms of stability, the centre of gravity is lower than a motorcycle, because the driver is sitting at the level of the engine as is the petrol tank. So I don't think that stability is a safety concern. The real issue here is crash-worthiness; The vehicle is a death trap in that sense... But so is any moped (and I see *many* students in Austin driving those Kawasaki mopeds in busy streets, avenues, and in limited cases even at highway speeds), same as any motorcycle, or any motorised tricycle as well. In short, I don't see any difference between this and a motorcycle in terms of safety.

On good weather days - and we do have many in these parts of the world, that could be a good commuter vehicle - and easy to park. On rainy days or frozen days, you'd have to take the bus. I wouldn't say no to having one of those right now.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 06:36:55 pm »

Of course, Gromit had one which turned into a porridge shooting aeroplane  Wink (http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1794_1_11847.html)

Yours,
Miranda.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 07:53:36 pm »

In the UK, you could probably get this registered as a kit car, with a one-off inspection; in France, you could probably get a government grant to manufacture them  Grin

HP
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 11:05:50 pm »

In the UK, you could probably get this registered as a kit car, with a one-off inspection; in France, you could probably get a government grant to manufacture them  Grin

HP

Ah the old Q plate, might just work - having looked at it y'know it kinda looks like a b********ed lovechild of a So-Cal belly tanker and a Morgan! - kinda growing on me!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:41:53 am »

I'd want the gas tank a little more resilient to dumping itself all over me in a side crash, and then having to worry about flames.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:45:09 am »

I want one O_O
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »

It would be a grand little run-around - Mine would have to be automatic, which could be a bit tricky!

(Leg damage stops me riding bikes and from driving manual cars)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 10:18:09 pm »

I'd want the gas tank a little more resilient to dumping itself all over me in a side crash, and then having to worry about flames.
I agree on that one. Also while the vehicle is stable it does look like it could throw you out in a crash, like riding a mechanical bull.

I think I know how the engine and tank were installed. Same as a motorcycle, the engine rides on a tubular frame, which is part of a tubular frame chassis.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 10:20:27 pm »

It would be a grand little run-around - Mine would have to be automatic, which could be a bit tricky!

(Leg damage stops me riding bikes and from driving manual cars)

There are different style of shifters short of a fully automatic. Maybe like a steering wheel paddle system?
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 06:09:25 pm »

judging by his hand placement the bottom vehicle has a shift lever for your hand directly to the shift shaft. no reason you couldn't place a motorcycle hand clutch to the same lever. salvage the engine and gearbox from an old Goldwing and you would have an automatic to work with.

used to see kit cars that looked like T bucket roadsters that had a motorcycle engine driveline to a sprocketed rear axle, not sure if they used live axles or solid. like you said probably near impossible to license and plate nowadays. a model T sedan electrified would make for a fun little city car, just wouldn't want to run into an SUV in one though. with modern tires and an enclosed cabin it might even be fine in the winter.

reading the title I expected to see a sidecar you add to a bicycle to motorize it, like an E-bike. added to a nice bike would give you something more stylish than a three wheeler but still able to haul the groceries home in.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 07:07:49 pm »

HP

I can't see it ever passing an IVA - it's got angles.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 07:40:26 pm »

HP

True, it would need extra saxons...

And perhaps mudguards!

Grin

HP
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:10 pm »

HP

True, it would need extra saxons...

And perhaps mudguards!

Grin

HP

Yeah but looking so good and with all those improvements you might want to protect it from Vandals  Grin
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 11:30:04 pm »

It would look nice with the seat upholstered in Jute.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 12:21:46 am »

It would look nice with the seat upholstered in Jute.

Maybe a nice Burgundian colour?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 09:20:43 am »

Nah, Champagne would go better with the red paint job!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 12:17:55 pm »

Well, to be perfectly Frank, I don't really mind what colour it is...
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 01:33:00 pm »

Black I think, for that Goth look.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: