The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 02:23:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map of Pre-Columbian Indigenous Territories of the United States  (Read 171 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: November 05, 2017, 11:19:00 pm »

The map:

The article:
http://nativeamericanpride.co/first-indigenous-map-of-its-kind-u-s-map-displays-our-own-names-and-locations/

A facebook link to this article says that it's the first map of its kind, which I suspect is not true. There had to at lease have been a similar map in a role playing game supplement somewhere.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 01:21:22 am »

The map:

The article:
http://nativeamericanpride.co/first-indigenous-map-of-its-kind-u-s-map-displays-our-own-names-and-locations/

A facebook link to this article says that it's the first map of its kind, which I suspect is not true. There had to at lease have been a similar map in a role playing game supplement somewhere.

I was going to post a disparaging comment based on the lousy map we can see...
for instance:
"Sioux" is a French Voyageur perversion of what the Ojibwe  ( aka  Anishinaabeg ) called the Lakota-Dakota-Nakota people.
"Navajo" is what the Pueblo peoples called the Dineh.
"Crow" are  the Apsáalooke

then I thought ... wait....  and searched his name.

the fellow actually did an excellent & detailed job! go here to the real site and scroll over the map for details
http://www.tribalnationsmaps.com/store/p41/Native_America__-_Native_Names_-_State_Borders_-_35%22x52%22.html

he went so far as to detail "subtribes" ( if you will) such as the Oglala, the Sincanju, etc ...

a lot of work, and well done.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:40:45 am »

$125 for a print of the map. I don't think that I'll be buying one, but I could imagine a school buying one.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:50:31 am »

I checked the html code for the official page, and with a little help from Google, got the URL for a large (not quite print quality) image of the map:

Link to map:
http://www.tribalnationsmaps.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10451178/s366865341169104376_p41_i7_w2560.jpeg
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:08:27 pm »

Just would like to point out that Precolumbian civilizations were not confined to modern era political boundaries. So its a bit artificial to confine Native American groups to "The United States." having said that modern Mexicans are guilty of doing the same thing. Here's a map of Native AridAmerica and MesoAmerica (separate regions from an archeological and anthropological perspective) which today from part of modern Political Mexico.

Catalog of individual native groups(non parsed by historical period, etc.)
(Modern states shown in different colours)

Archeologists separated the region in a different way by geographical and cultural regions.

By archeological similarities:

By language at the time of "first contact" with Europeans (e.g. shortly before Conquest, 1512 AD)
By this time ancient people like the Classic Period Maya and the Olmecs had long disappeared to be replaced by others

Also these are very generic maps. They don't tell you anything about migrations and political boundaries vis-à-vis warfare and empires formed within historical periods, which varied greatly during the last 2500 years (e.g. The Classic Maya Period, 200-900 AD does NOT overlap at all, by a long stretch of the imagination, with the Aztec Period, 1325-1521 AD which ended when Cortez conquered Tenochtitlan, the Aztec capital)

Expansion of Aztec Empire, starting by the "Triple Alliance" (Ēxcān Tlahtolōyān) of the Mexica peoples (from the city of Tenochtitlan), the Acohlua people (city of Texcoco), and the Tepaneca people (city of Tlacopan). The legend shows expansion for each Tlatoani (emperor) reign period until the time of the Conquest

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:17:24 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:26:59 pm »

And what about Canada? Is there a comprehensive map of cultures for the whole of North America that is not partitioned by modern boundaries?  Undecided
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 04:21:56 am »

I think there may be a few missing in the U.S. one.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 08:00:13 pm »

I think there may be a few missing in the U.S. one.

There's got to be better maps than all these. I just know it, but can't find much in the surface over the internet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: