The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 02:00:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Web Site Sells Reproduction Historic Soldiers' Rations  (Read 82 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: November 01, 2017, 03:43:45 am »

I had a case of WWII C rations come into my shop as part of a larger purchase. They were made to last a long time, but even the best preserved food can't be good after 70 years, but I was curious and wondered if new C rations could still be purchased, and I found this:

https://reprorations.com/Products%20Links.htm

It is a small business run by disabled veterans. It looks like the market primarily to war reenactors, and most of what the sell is stock mass-market food items that approximate historic military rations, all customized with reproduction historic labels.

I could imagine a few of these items being used for a steampunk event.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 04:00:28 am »

A cool thing from the WWII Japan selection:

Reproduction Japanese cigarette packs.

I didn't know that the Japanese pulp character "Ogan Batto" had his own brand of cigarettes. I am tempted to order the assortment just for that one pack.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:58:03 am »

I had a case of WWII C rations come into my shop as part of a larger purchase. They were made to last a long time, but even the best preserved food can't be good after 70 years, but I was curious and wondered if new C rations could still be purchased, and I found this:

https://reprorations.com/Products%20Links.htm

It is a small business run by disabled veterans. It looks like the market primarily to war reenactors, and most of what the sell is stock mass-market food items that approximate historic military rations, all customized with reproduction historic labels.

I could imagine a few of these items being used for a steampunk event.

I'm liking the Austrian WWI rations. I love the Fraktur/Gothic scripted labels with the Austrian-Hungarian imperial coat of arms.  It gives me an idea I could probably incorporate some of than into my novel, when the Union forces "captured" a number of Luftschiffengel.

Austrohungarian canned meat

Austrohungarian hard-tack

JW
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:05:57 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 07:29:30 am »

That is awesome my good Monsieur Bowman!

My first thought was
"whoever would buy reproductions of HMS Bounty's maggotty biscuits?"

I am working to put together a small collection of product labels ca 1850-1870 for professor marvel's
peddlar cart . So far I only have coffee, cartridges, soap, and oatmeal.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:22:30 am »

My first thought was
"whoever would buy reproductions of HMS Bounty's maggoty biscuits?"

Well if you want to be authentic  Roll Eyes Not me. I'd prefer to keep my technology together with my history. I guess we Steampunks are lazy that way. And no, I'm not sorry about that. People back then would not go back to doing things that way of they knew better.

I am working to put together a small collection of product labels ca 1850-1870 for professor marvel's
peddlar cart . So far I only have coffee, cartridges, soap, and oatmeal.

yhs
prof marvel

No trading post is complete without tinware as well. You should look into ushist.com's offerings:
http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_tinware.shtml

How about buying some tooth powder and petrolatum tins? You have to buy the petrolatum separately but it's easy enough to get Vaseline brand...
http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_soaps_powders.shtml
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: