The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 02:53:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas wanted for man's steampunk costume, aviator / vintage car look  (Read 351 times)
LouiseSJPP
Swab

France France

« on: October 30, 2017, 02:08:02 pm »

It's easy to find inspirational images for women's steampunk styles, harder for men except for the derivatives of the classic tail coat look.

We've just finished (running-finished, not finished-finished) the renovation of a classic sports car.  Not concourse, a working, fun car, and we want a steam-punk fashion to go with it.  Given it's an open-top car, this has to start with head-gear which has to be warm, close to the head and weather-proof.  Leather flying helmet, leather flat-cap, chauffeur's cap, that kind of thing.  Working down from this, can anyone suggest ideas for a very tall and slim man? 

Many thanks

Louise
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:05:19 pm »

I'd humbly suggest looking at the 1903-1915 (British) Edwardian period  clothing for inspiration. You might find it doesn't have necessarily too Sci-fi.

A proper driving ensemble could include breeches or knickerbocker with Argyle socks and a cardigan which by then had already been popularised. Simple addition of flat cap and goggles would suffice. To make it Steampunk proper look at adding a Steampunk watch in the style of Japanese artist Suekichi or my own watches the Timeline Synchronizer Mk I and Mk II.

Harley John
Gunner
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:29:38 am »

For inspiration might I suggest a viewing of "The Great Race" starring Tony Curtis, Jack Lemon & Natalie Wood or "Monte Carlo Or Bust" apparently known to our American friends as "Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies" which stars the one and only Terry Thomas, Pete & Dud and an up & coming American thespian Tony Curtis, oh and Susan Hampshire and various other British & European actors. 
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:09:01 pm »

Also see:-
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Also look at collections of 18th, 19th and early 20th Century military wear.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:32:50 pm »

Also see:-
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Also look at collections of 18th, 19th and early 20th Century military wear.

There's another movie I have to watch again  Cheesy

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines Trailer [HD]
LouiseSJPP
Swab

France France

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:58:58 am »

Lots of great ideas, thank you all, and yes, an excuse to watch Those Magnificent Men again!

I'll add my own idea, which has occurred to me since posting: take inspiration from the costumes at the Goodwood Revival.

The point for me is not the sci-fi aspect of steam punk.  In many ways, our Stag is part of what I see steam punk to be.  It's taking a bit of heritage, a bit of the way we used to make things when we were discovering what the next stage engineering could do, and using it, celebrating it in the modern day.  It's not a concourse or museum piece, it's not *just* to look pretty, it is there to have fun with, to thrash up mountains, to revel in.  Adding modern tech is fine, it had electronic ignition, it may be given fuel injection, it may get modernised brakes and drive shafts.

Reflecting some of this is how we dress and how we are is my aim.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 08:01:00 pm »

Lots of great ideas, thank you all, and yes, an excuse to watch Those Magnificent Men again!

I'll add my own idea, which has occurred to me since posting: take inspiration from the costumes at the Goodwood Revival.

The point for me is not the sci-fi aspect of steam punk.  In many ways, our Stag is part of what I see steam punk to be.  It's taking a bit of heritage, a bit of the way we used to make things when we were discovering what the next stage engineering could do, and using it, celebrating it in the modern day.  It's not a concourse or museum piece, it's not *just* to look pretty, it is there to have fun with, to thrash up mountains, to revel in.  Adding modern tech is fine, it had electronic ignition, it may be given fuel injection, it may get modernised brakes and drive shafts.

Reflecting some of this is how we dress and how we are is my aim.

Any pictures of the car?  Roll Eyes
LouiseSJPP
Swab

France France

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 04:52:43 pm »

Yes, but this forum doesn't seem to support pictures Sad
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 09:02:50 pm »

You need to put pictures on an image hosting site and then paste the link here between image tags. I use imgur.com and it always seems to work without any problems.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 01:11:49 am »

Any pictures of the car?  Roll Eyes

Do what I do. If you have Twitter, tweet your pictures. Most web browsers support separating the picture from the web page. In Windows Internet Explorer, it means looking at the "properties" of the picture when you right click on the image. In  Mozilla, you can right click to view the picture itself without the web page. Either way you will see the url of the image which you can copy and paste with the "img" command in this post as follows:

Code:
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQiF_h5UAAEUOhy.jpg[/img]

Which gives you this result :

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:13:35 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 03:58:16 am »

Check google image search for photos of actual historic race car drivers. This and many others can up when I searched for "indianapolis driver 1915":

Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 10:20:44 am »

You might want to look at images of WW1 dispatch/despatch riders as well. A simple google images search of WW1 aviators threw up loads of ideas.

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 08:52:52 pm »

The only thing that I'd observe is that most of the time, for aviators, race car drivers, mechanics, et al, you'd be see them wear khaki or grey overalls which eventually led to the modern flight suit. Not the most appealing of outfits, necessarily. The interesting clothing would be hidden under the overalls... Its all the accessories around it, from goggles, to aviator cap to scarf, etc, which tells you what their occupation is.

Renji Murata's artwork for Last Exile animated series.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 09:38:44 am »

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 11:11:45 pm »

It seems that WWI provided the impetus for the creation of the flight suit lined with fur. Sometimes seen as a one piece, it then became a two-piece garment and leather began to be preferred due to its resistance to the cold, the elements and propwash. From the two piece flight suit, the bomber jacket developed later on toward WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_suit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_jacket

So perhaps looking at a two piece leather flight suit with sheep skin?

Richard Byrd in flight jacket ca. 1920

Leather flight suit, 1925
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 10:31:48 am »

It's not the pilot of the aircraft with a motorcycle. But just the rider. Smiley

I think the costumes for the airplane flight in the cold came early. But there was a massive request and the pilots were ordered individually.

And 17th year as the year of the creation of the first flight of the suit is in doubt, here is a selection of photos of red pilots, there is a photo for 19-20 year pilots in jumpsuits. Though of course, more simple.

https://vikond65.livejournal.com/14967.html

And this is flight form introduced in the Russian Empire in the 3 January 1914.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 07:07:39 am »

seems to me the older racing outfits were basically coveralls over street clothes and an aviators cap and goggles.

looks eminently practical too! layered to the local weather should suffice.

an older style of work coveralls, or even military surplus coveralls as long as they're of simple design, coupled with a dress shirt and tie featured at the collar.

you might want to peruse the military surplus section at the sportsman's guide website, quite a few coveralls for sale, hopefully long enough for a taller person.

coupled with some gauntleted gloves and an aviators cap and goggles (some of those at the same website too) would look the part and I would think the whole thing could be peeled off in seconds to re-enter modern society.

I have also seen the sleeveless leather vests that were popular with motorcycle messengers in the early years, might be nice even just for some added layered protection. one listed on the webpage too.

in place of a flight cap possibly a ushanka cap might be easier and cheaper to find or if you really want to stand out the old Russian army wool caps, I think were called budenovkas, would look kinda neat with some goggles.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 12:17:18 am »

May I suggest going for white colour for the racing suit? It seems to me it would stand out better and look more elegant.  Perhaps introduce some Italian flair with one of the old Italian flags? Depending on the car, of course, which we haven't seen yet... Perhaps harking to that golden era of early Italian aviation?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: