The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 02:38:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hendrick's Gin Grand Garnisher: Steampunk for Marketing?  (Read 247 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: October 14, 2017, 06:56:25 am »

So on my way home, I stop on Friday night to buy beer at my local supermarket, and I stumbled upon this contraption, and a curious looking chap (don't ask me why he needs a parasol in the middle of the night). The contraption is a giant pedal powered machine mounted on the flat bed of a truck (lorry for you kind folk across the pond).

The good chap let me take this photograph, and he explained to me that this marvelously complicated and large artifact had only one function: cut the perfect cucumber slices, to be used as garnish for drinks promoted by Hendrick's Gin. Apparently Hendrick's Grand Garnisher is on tour in the United States, and happens to be in Austin for a couple of days this October. At least they needed to stop by the super to buy some cucumbers.

So now I'm thinking this post would be just at home in the "has Steampunk become mainstream" thread. But really, do you folks have an opinion on this marketing ploy? While the operation is gratuitously anachronistic, I did not find it particularly offensive, and perhaps even a bit entertaining and clever. I mean it's not everyday that you find a giant geared pedal powered cucumber slicing machine in front of you local super... If they wanted my attention, they got it.

Apparently the mobile display will be un Austin till tomorrow, probably to take advantage of the overlap with the second weekend of the Austin City Limits music festival going on Zilker park this year... Any opinions? I just wanted to share with y'all the strange happenings in my neck of the woods.

Hendrick's Gin Grand Garnisher: Gin & Tonic

I remain AYS,

Adm. J. Wilhelm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:06:01 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:09:00 am »

The last Hendrick's Gin promotion I saw at an event in the UK was a bath full of the stuff and ladies in Victorian swimming garb sitting in it......

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 04:16:07 pm »

I really don't have a problem with this. a good looking working contraption constructed in a stylish fashion.

Marketing or not, I kinda like it ( although a chopping board and a good knife would achieve the same result, BUT isn't that what some Steampunk is about? Wilf Lunn, William Heath Robinson spring to mind) Thumbs up from me, good on 'em, and it got on the local TV news .

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »

We, in Russia, it is believed that steampunk is fashionable and youth. It is projected that on playgrounds in shopping malls, will be less dinosaurs and more steampunk.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 05:39:48 pm »

that's pretty neat.  And I had no idea we were in the same state Smiley

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 06:10:44 pm »

How come? I mention Austin in every other post I write...  Grin
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:16 pm »

Because I only read your even numbered posts Smiley
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:24:47 pm »

Because I only read your even numbered posts Smiley

Well that's wrong! You see, you should be reading all the prime numbered posts. That's where all the interesting information is!
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:45:43 pm »

If you look at their website a little further, you will see a little (tiny) competition here;
https://us.hendricksgin.com/tinytales/

Might interest those with a literary bent?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: