The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 27, 2018, 05:09:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake Slums for Tourism in 19th Century New York Chinatown  (Read 398 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: October 06, 2017, 02:00:07 am »

Article:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/slumming-chinatown-new-york-history-fake-opium-dens
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:00:21 am »

#
 An interesting tale. It  must be where the term "slumming it" comes from.

Its given Hurricane Annie  a devious  tourism business idea ....
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:39:53 pm »

Certainly a sidewhow elemnt to it which would appeal to the 19th. C crowd looking for exotic experiences. But I doubt that the modern counterpart is as forgivable. I seriously doubt that the poor people in the Brazilian Favelas actually benefit much from such tourism. And yes, slum tourism is definitely racist. Expected in 1900, due to the colonial mentality of the era, but not justifiable in the present day.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 12:52:24 am »

Certainly a sidewhow elemnt to it which would appeal to the 19th. C crowd looking for exotic experiences. But I doubt that the modern counterpart is as forgivable. I seriously doubt that the poor people in the Brazilian Favelas actually benefit much from such tourism. And yes, slum tourism is definitely racist. Expected in 1900, due to the colonial mentality of the era, but not justifiable in the present day.

Like the  Amazonian " unspoilt" villages  and Stone age East Asian  isolated island  and jungle communities.  Absolutely exploitational, dehumanising and  dispicable.  Indigenous persons were once kept in zoos.  It was repugnant.

The thoughts that  fluttered accross my mind were tours through staged streets of modern day low income  dystopia, based on the bigoted views of  the vocal minority  venting  on news comment sections. Let them put their money where their mouth is

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: