The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 05:34:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASA goes steampunk  (Read 134 times)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« on: September 25, 2017, 11:20:09 pm »

I somehow missed this when it was announced last month and couldn't find a mention of it here.
The URL says it all: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/a-clockwork-rover-for-venus

Though sadly it will presumably be ceramic rather than brass and mahogany.

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 11:25:36 pm »

I somehow missed this when it was announced last month and couldn't find a mention of it here.
The URL says it all: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/a-clockwork-rover-for-venus

Though sadly it will presumably be ceramic rather than brass and mahogany.

This to me sounds very interesting. I haven't read the article but seems they are looking a "macro-mechanical" autonomous systems like Strandebeasts, as opposed to "micro-mechanical computers." I presume that if they are envisioning a mechanical computer they should also start looking at use of nano=technology which could produce extremely small geared mechanical computers. in silicon. That to me would also be necessary for spacecraft intended for deep-space exploration, near stars, black holes, etc. and other inhospitable environments where ionizing radiation levels would make it impossible to employ traditional semiconductor solid state computers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: