The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 04:39:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Editing a steampunk book, any advice?  (Read 130 times)
Avery J. Harpe
Swab

England England

« on: September 24, 2017, 08:30:11 pm »

Hello, I've written a steampunk book and I am currently editing it. Does anyone have any advice for editing? In particular, are there any clich├ęs that you feel should best be avoided?
NoirMagus
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:04:41 pm »

I tend to do a number of edits looking at specific points.

1) Structural edit - does the plot hangs together, is the pacing good, do the sub plots resolve etc.
2) Character edit - checking my characters are consistent and reinforcing characterization.
3) Line edit - Making it read as best as it can, chopping out the unnecessary, removing adverbs and weed words, etc

These aren't all totally independent and tend to overlap, but for me focusing on particular areas works well.

Also, I think the first page is the most important in your whole book. If you're trying to get a publisher/agent if they don't like your first page you're unlikely to get any further. If you're looking to e-publish there's so much content out there that you have to hook your reader early.

If you send me your first chapter I'd be happy to let you know what I think. Either message me or contact me via: http://garethwardauthor.com/contact/
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:47:56 pm »

cliches should be avoided at all costs...

Looks like you are in good hands and I charge for editing.

Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »

Break your book into 1 file per Chapter.
-use ProWritingAid/AutoCrit or Grammarly on each file (PWA is the cheapest.  Used the Paid version of any of these editing tools)
-Aim for about 80,000 words, not more, especially for your first book
-Do your line editing by reading it backwards
-Read the text aloud to find phrasing/readability issues
-Put your files onto Google Docs and Share with Comments-only turned on with your beta readers. This is very helpful for getting edits and comments without passing multiple copies around

-remove as much exposition as possible.
-Put all your Deaths, Divorces and Diseases on page 1
-Make your first sentence be interesting, to encourage me to read more
-Make your first chapter start/show me your protagonist in action (shows me who they are and captures attention, and all that unexplained exposition is now egging me to read on to see what hints you give later)

If you Self-Publish:
-hire a copyeditor AFTER you've done your own editing.  Going rate is $0.03/word
-hire a cover artist.  Budget about $200.  DIY always looks bad because most writers aren't also artists, and vice versa.
-Scrivener is $40 and can produce ePub files.
-Read this for book layout/design mistakes to avoid:
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/pw-select/article/67328-top-five-book-layout-mistakes.html?utm_content=buffer82e6d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: