The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 02:34:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SteamPunking an RV? (Warning - getting a little image heavy)  (Read 778 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 02:12:24 pm »

Maybe something like this? 

-Karl
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »

Seen better days, by the look of it!

Definitely well worn out. The Pace Arrow front fibreglass (windshield /grill) and the back end (tail light and spare tyre) is different to the Southwind series but otherwise the interior and sides of the vehicle are the same.

It looks like they ripped out the microwave over the stove altogether. The originalnal carpet is missing. The  bedroom looks nasty, and many of the overhead cabinets cabinet doors are loose and crooked. There's some of the plastic ceiling falling off. The front hanging bed over the driver seat seems OK (because no one ever uses it  Grin)

There's a lot of work to be done. I'd be worried about critters in the cabinets and water damage in the ceiling.

So definitely you have to change the ceiling with the tin panels. The wallpaper(?) in the kitchen could be replaced with something Victorian. The main offender in the ceiling is the plastic opening dome whose joints could be leaking. So I'd replace that dome with a non opening dome with imitation leaded glass. On the floor I'd stick to a red Persian rug under the table and  long Persian runner rug for the entire floor all the way to the bedroom. Same inside the bedroom, just change the colour to green or blue. Use wood for the bedroom ceiling and walls. I'd get rid of the twin beds and get a Queen bed. A captain'd quarters could be the theme.

Get rid of those nasty curtains. You might want to explore shutters instead.

There is a good excuse to replace the cabinet doors and quite frankly that is probably the easiest mod. New hardware is easy to get,especially nowadays with modern hardware supermarkets, you can find any style you want, wrought iron, ceramic handles, you name it. How do you want it? Wild West? 1900s city? Endless possibilities.
I would not go for a chandelier, but rather a well secured Tiffany leaded glass ceiling lamp (also widely available at your local hardware super or online.

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 10:08:37 pm »

Front radiator grill is damaged, you could replace that with a heatproof pieced metal panel. like a Victorian radiator cover. surround with graduated sizes of lightweight metal tubing.  You can go for a steam organ effect or a mad science machine look.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 11:52:49 pm »

This project is worth taking, but it à requires a focused concerted effort. You must convince your friends to stick to one style. Victorian will be much easier just because there is  Cornucopia of 19th C architectural hardware out there. You actually have choices within the overall aesthetic.  Chose a theme and run with it. You will not get the same choice and depth in style if you go modern or "sci-fi."
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 01:10:30 am »

I'm with herr Wilhelm on this and I would also caution to go over the roof and fix any potential leaks and shortcomings before doing anything else.

the corrugated sides remind me of the old ford and Fokker trimotors, maybe paint the thing in roof sealer silver?

if they insist on sci fi perhaps go for a retro futuristic style aka metropolis. elements of late steam and early diesel with art deco undercurrents

sadly my gut says anything done will just be putting lipstick on a pig. not only will the pig not look the better for it, it will probably get angry with all the attention.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 08:47:52 pm »

The roof of the RV is a single  thick sheet of aluminium, with sundry perforations for vents, at least one opening plastic dome, the Air Conditioner unit, and if available a fibreglass storage pod like we had. It's really important that the dome opening be closed off permanently with something better than a white plastic dome, which I found needed to be replaced every couple of years due to UV damage to the plastic.

I see an aluminum staircase in the back. The purpose of that is to give access to the roof because it's flat and has some rails meant to allow people to put some chairs like a terrace on the roof. In theory the roof is well insulated; in practice, the joints to the fibreglass sides, all the dome and vent flashing joints are perforated with hex metal sheet screws insulated with white caulking which must be replaced every number of years. Otherwise you'll wake up to find the roof rotting, which is what killed our RV. Since we used to own this RV's "cousin" it behooves your friends to get on the roof and see if it's still solid. If not, they may have major repairs in store.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:34:15 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 05:47:57 am »

A side effect is that my lovely wife has decided to work on out ancient RV, a 1981 Honey.  It will be hard to make the exterior look like anything but a big, old, ugly RV.  Her plan is vardo/neo-deduin.   It may have the worst interior layout of any RV its size ever made. 

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 06:24:37 am »

Nonsense! Our 1973 Dodge-based Pacer was legendary! Minnie Winnie was just a late-comer copycat!
Dr. Ironbeard
Officer

Avoid the rush....PANIC NOW!!

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 05:53:45 am »

Just a little imagination goes a long long way!!

A Steampunk Trailer?

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 06:59:13 am »

Lovely!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 04:34:51 pm »

Just a little imagination goes a long long way!!

A Steampunk Trailer?

The middle one is 1980s synth pop artist Thomas Dolby's Time  Capsule which he drove across the USA in his latest tour. He was here in Austin during the South by Southwest festival a couple of years back in 2012, and I met him and his time capsule

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35481.msg770103.html#msg770103

That was me, looking a bit different back then, and Dolby behind the trailer (you  can see the tail of the caravan /trailer in the picture)

JW
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:03:53 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2017, 07:47:10 am »

the bomb one would look great made up to look like the bomb from "the mouse that roared"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: