The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 08:29:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SteamPunking an RV? (Warning - getting a little image heavy)  (Read 769 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« on: September 10, 2017, 04:56:44 am »

Some friends of ours, a very SteamPunk couple, just picked this big, older RV up and are thinking about steaming it up after it is cleaned and pressure washed.  Any suggestions?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214132105964952&set=a.1709093295472.2097374.1482291082&type=3&theater  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:02:59 pm by Captain » Logged

-Karl
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:25:07 am »

Some friends of ours, a very SteamPunk couple, just picked this big, older RV up and are thinking about steaming it up after it is cleaned and pressure washed.  Any suggestions?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214132105964952&set=a.1709093295472.2097374.1482291082&type=3&theater 

Oh my God. I used to own one of those. Southwind mid-1980s model 25 ft long, Chevy chassis.

Ours was the exact same brand, maybe one year earlier model (1981), with the open dual bunk beds and from the looks of it the same size - 25 ft, and died by way of rain breach with the fibreglass joints leaking over time. The structure is a combination of aluminium and wood with fibreglass exterior. That will give you nightmares because the structure can rot over time. I think the one you show has the bedroom in the back. Has the A/C unit on the roof been removed?? I can't see it

Well, assuming that the interior is not damaged with mold and wood rot, etc. the interior is pretty much made from laminated particle board, and the refrigerator should also have a matching laminated cover, overhead microwave, small 4 burner stove + oven, front overhead folding bed, rear bathroom and bedroom with door, or open double bunk beds, depending. There are plenty of wood tones in the interior to play with.

First thing to change is all the cheap overhead compartment latches and you can also make / get better cabinet doors, or steampunk the cabinet doors since they use the usual kitchen cabinet type. The curtains are the roll-up type. These could be replaced with something else. The main entry door window could be an imitation (or real) stained glass window (I'm just throwing ideas here - I take no responsibility for aesthetic monsters you they may produce  Grin )

There should be a small closet with mirrors in front - which you can turn to 1900s pharmacy.soda fountain-style advertisement mirrors, and there are drawers underneath that you can play with (dual bunk bed model - the bedroom model may have those inside the bedroom).

The shower has a "telephone" shower head - there's plenty of "old tyme" ceramic showerheads available out there. The stove could be disguised as a "wood stove." The kitchen sink is a small dual well type - that could also be replaced with ceramic and if you can find miniature faucets also replace them with old-tyme ceramic faucets. You can place tile over the kitchen sink cover (assuming you still have that cover as original equipment). The sink in the bathroom (dual bunk bed model) was an oval aluminium type - it's be interesting to also see that in ceramic.

Use that type of stamped  Victorian style "tin ceiling" panels above to hide the cheap plastic veneer. Pay attention to the rug. It's easy to replace with imitation Afghan rugs to complete the British Empire look.

The gasoline (petrol) generator is an interesting piece of equipment. Perhaps with a little imagination one coould remove the aluminium door hiding it from the exterior, and make it look like a steam piston engine?

The exterior fibreglass is almost unworkable, unless you feel like doing a major renovation from it. Disguise it with canvas and rope to make it look like a dirigible's envelope?  Grin

To be honest with you I'd kill to have mine back right now - even with all it's issues and faults.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 01:27:10 pm »

As the real estate agents would say, "It definitely has potential."
Looking forward to seeing what happens with this.
Maybe rovingjack could find himself a little one to tow behind his Subaru - surely more comfortable than sleeping in the car.
(serious comment, rovingjack, not a nasty little dig)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 05:56:10 pm »

J. Wilhelm  I did not mention the interior yet but those are some good tips.  The tin or copper ceiling tiles are an especially cool idea.

The past owners partially converted it to a live-in RV.  They swapped for a full size refrigerator and  took out the copilots seat replacing it with a wooden deck for a large TV.  When the last driver in the family's health failed it didn't leave the driveway.  Before this it only went as far as our limited road goes which was Eagle River camp ground about 23 miles each way.  The hot water heater does not work and it needs a serious steam cleaning or new carpet but the paneling seems OK.  Despite sitting so much the drivetrain could be a lot worse. 
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:21:24 pm »

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 06:55:37 pm »

J. Wilhelm  I did not mention the interior yet but those are some good tips.  The tin or copper ceiling tiles are an especially cool idea.

The past owners partially converted it to a live-in RV.  They swapped for a full size refrigerator and  took out the copilots seat replacing it with a wooden deck for a large TV.  When the last driver in the family's health failed it didn't leave the driveway.  Before this it only went as far as our limited road goes which was Eagle River camp ground about 23 miles each way.  The hot water heater does not work and it needs a serious steam cleaning or new carpet but the paneling seems OK.  Despite sitting so much the drivetrain could be a lot worse. 

OK So it's a Pace Arrow. It looks nearly identical to the mid 80s Fleetwood Southwind. It's a shame they got rid of the original (assuming) Dometic refrigerator. That one ran in both gas and electricity. Thus, they have lost the ability to keep things cool while in transit - bad move. Also replacing the copilot seat with a large appliance will be an issue as you really need that space for visibility. The could have simply installed an overhead folding flat panel TV. Unless, of course you have as you say very limited roads (how did they get the TV there, by ship?).

So if they plan on driving I would suggest reverting to a two seat cockpit, and take advantage to replace the driver and co-pilot swivel seats with a re upholstered Steampunk version in leather. The whole cockpit can be redone in leather as the front panel is made with more particle board upholstered with padded vynil. Just grab the material and some new foam and a staple gun. The front instrument panel is highly Steampunkable as there is plenty of space and flat surfaces. Dials and switches galore. Do remove the 8-track player if it had one and replace it with a Bluetooth receiver - some vehicles in the US still had 8 track players in the mid 80s, since RVs were marketed to older people by then. Younger people would not camp or TV anymore even in 1982. The heyday of RVs were the 1970s. RV-ing completely fell out of favour by the 90s.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 07:00:18 pm »

I see the AC unit is still there just covered. If they still have the gasoline (petrol) power plant intact, that enables you to run the AC unit while in transit, as well as the microwave. Sorry but for me preserving the mobility of the vehicle is paramount. What's the point otherwise? Me, I want to go to the mountains, or the middle of a forest and forget about the world.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 09:45:45 pm »

I see the AC unit is still there just covered. If they still have the gasoline (petrol) power plant intact, that enables you to run the AC unit while in transit, as well as the microwave. Sorry but for me preserving the mobility of the vehicle is paramount. What's the point otherwise? Me, I want to go to the mountains, or the middle of a forest and forget about the world.

We have no roads in or out of Juneau.  The farthest that they can drive is maybe 30 miles before having to turn around.  The big screen TV is set down where the seat used to be so it does not block the driver's vision. 
I'll ask for inside pictures.
Our big old RV (Alaska was sort of the Elephant Graveyard of RVs) is a van conversion so just does not lend itself to steaming. 
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 10:01:06 pm »

As to Steampunking a van, here's a great example of what can be squeezed in: https://m.facebook.com/steampunkvan/.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 10:36:14 pm »

Ah - I seem to recall our own Jake Von Slatt, sadly absent from these parts many a long year, did a lovely build of a Steampunk schoolbus as an RV.

It is to be seen here:-

http://steampunkworkshop.com/bus1-shtml/

I do hope this is useful.

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 11:45:14 pm »

Ah - I seem to recall our own Jake Von Slatt, sadly absent from these parts many a long year, did a lovely build of a Steampunk schoolbus as an RV.

It is to be seen here:-

http://steampunkworkshop.com/bus1-shtml/

I do hope this is useful.

HP

Very nice.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 12:03:24 am »

Another friend in GA has been building a Viking Travel Trailer from the frame up:  https://www.facebook.com/brun.canutesson/media_set?set=a.702899619857844.1073741831.100004134361973&type=3 

Now the bad news - they are thinking about remodeling the RV as "an homage to all Sci-Fi & fantasy."  So maybe a nature scene airbrushed on the sides,  Star Wars, Star Trek, Excalibur, SteamPunk, etc.....  Let's see what the plan is tomorrow. 
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 02:01:21 am »

Another friend in GA has been building a Viking Travel Trailer from the frame up:  https://www.facebook.com/brun.canutesson/media_set?set=a.702899619857844.1073741831.100004134361973&type=3 

Now the bad news - they are thinking about remodeling the RV as "an homage to all Sci-Fi & fantasy."  So maybe a nature scene airbrushed on the sides,  Star Wars, Star Trek, Excalibur, SteamPunk, etc.....  Let's see what the plan is tomorrow. 

Not good. The RV could end up looking like a new-age UFO-cult vehicle. The UETV or Unarious Extraterrestrial Transport Vehicle." The headquarters of this quack movement used to be close to where I lived in San Diego many years ago.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 05:06:04 am »

Not good. The RV could end up looking like a new-age UFO-cult vehicle. The UETV or Unarious Extraterrestrial Transport Vehicle." The headquarters of this quack movement used to be close to where I lived in San Diego many years ago.

Apparently we have the same mental picture. 
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 11:10:25 pm »

Steampunk would need a chandelier

All things Sci-fi-fantasy...
... possibly not.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 07:23:01 am »

Steampunk would need a chandelier

All things Sci-fi-fantasy...
... possibly not.

A chandelier might work for them (vertically challenged).   
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 06:17:59 pm »

Which reminds me, has anybody ever seen or known a Hobbit styled TV?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 11:29:12 pm »

(My emphasis with the italics).

Well, if they were MtoF you'd normally expect them to shave their feet...

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. sorry for being off-topic, but I couldn't resist  Wink
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 11:42:40 pm »

(My emphasis with the italics).

Well, if they were MtoF you'd normally expect them to shave their feet...

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. sorry for being off-topic, but I couldn't resist  Wink

That was meant to be "RV", but yeah, we may have a couple of those walking around in Austin... Though I thought that hairy feet, like the Dwarves, where a beard is present in both sexes, would be a trait shared by both male and female Hobbits .
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 04:53:49 am »

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 05:08:25 am »

After a little pressure washing. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 12:24:39 pm »

Seen better days, by the look of it!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 01:52:20 pm »

But where's the shot before pressure washing?!

Anyhow, its a good basis as everything would be torn out as it probably has obvious years of crud and stink about it. At least that's what I would do.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 01:55:31 pm »

Seen better days, by the look of it!
It is old, has been lived in, and has been effected by our rainforest but has little real structural damage.  Except for the front grill (which presents an opportunity for a SteamPunk replacement?) it mostly needs elbow grease.  Notice the difference between the first and last pictures after just a pressure washing.  The new owner, https://www.facebook.com/ColonelSamuelTanner/ , owns a carpet steamer for the next step.  
We are currently clearing out a house for sale and it seems to have two homeless twin beds to replace the ones in the RV.  
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 02:01:13 pm »

But where's the shot before pressure washing?!

Anyhow, its a good basis as everything would be torn out as it probably has obvious years of crud and stink about it. At least that's what I would do.
Before:

After pressure washing:

Trst me, it looks a lot better in person than the pictures do it justice.  It will never look new again but that could be an advantage for  SteamPunking project. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: