The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 11:59:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone else on Wattpad?  (Read 187 times)
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« on: September 05, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »

Hello, everyone! I'm Annemarie, and when I'm not running around trying to save bats, letting my tea steep too long, or crying over all the homework I have to do, I'm on Wattpad, a free reading and writing website. I was just wondering if anyone from this lovely site was on there as well, so I could follow you and read your works!

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:48:04 pm »

Sorry it took so long to notice this.

I have not checked out Wattpad.

Personally, I have a blog on my website, and post on Twitter and Facebook when I have a new entry to bring people to the site.

What does Wattpad bring to the table?  Does it give you email notifications if somebody comments?  How does it do authentication (google, facebook, twitter, or its own)?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions.  I reckon I could check out the authentication part myself.

The reason I ask is I am building Author Platform and need eyeballs on my work and want to be able to interact with people.  Without getting drawn into too many social media systems to maintain.

More to your original question, post a link or PM me and I'll be happy to check out your work.

I've got an irregular series I do on my blog about Steampunk Etiquette.  Working on the idea of a modernized guide to manners for a gentleman (or steampunk).  Not like Emily Post.  My idea is to research the "old ways" and see what works for our modern world and standards.

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:59 pm »

I am now @klforslund on Wattpad.  As I just set it up, there's nothing in there.

Now that I am here, i have stuff to learn before I really use it.  I'd appreciate any insight you can give me.

I aspire to be published, so my efforts run toward writing, editing works I can submit or short works (mostly non-fiction) that go on my blog.

Wattpad seems primarily focused on fiction (which my primary aim), but any effort I spend writing there is content I can't submit for publishing (First World Rights is a big deal).

Would it be acceptable to publish blog articles here as well?  I've considered the same strategy on Tumblr, since it is blog-centric, that kind of works.

I am certain I sound mercenary and self-centered.  But I've spent coin and effort on a website to route people to it where I freely give away what I can so when my paid works are ready, people would see it.

I'm not sure if WattPad fits into that strategy, or if it creates more work for me.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:22:18 pm »

Sorry it took so long to notice this.

I have not checked out Wattpad.

Personally, I have a blog on my website, and post on Twitter and Facebook when I have a new entry to bring people to the site.

What does Wattpad bring to the table?  Does it give you email notifications if somebody comments?  How does it do authentication (google, facebook, twitter, or its own)?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions.  I reckon I could check out the authentication part myself.

The reason I ask is I am building Author Platform and need eyeballs on my work and want to be able to interact with people.  Without getting drawn into too many social media systems to maintain.

More to your original question, post a link or PM me and I'll be happy to check out your work.

I've got an irregular series I do on my blog about Steampunk Etiquette.  Working on the idea of a modernized guide to manners for a gentleman (or steampunk).  Not like Emily Post.  My idea is to research the "old ways" and see what works for our modern world and standards.

I am now @klforslund on Wattpad.  As I just set it up, there's nothing in there.

Now that I am here, i have stuff to learn before I really use it.  I'd appreciate any insight you can give me.

I aspire to be published, so my efforts run toward writing, editing works I can submit or short works (mostly non-fiction) that go on my blog.

Wattpad seems primarily focused on fiction (which my primary aim), but any effort I spend writing there is content I can't submit for publishing (First World Rights is a big deal).

Would it be acceptable to publish blog articles here as well?  I've considered the same strategy on Tumblr, since it is blog-centric, that kind of works.

I am certain I sound mercenary and self-centered.  But I've spent coin and effort on a website to route people to it where I freely give away what I can so when my paid works are ready, people would see it.

I'm not sure if WattPad fits into that strategy, or if it creates more work for me.

Yeah, Wattpad gives notifications when someone votes, comments, or adds a book to their reading list, but it's pretty customizable in regards to how you get notified and for what. There isn't really much verification; the only badges I see are for Verified Users (given by HQ to well-known celebrities/authors on the site), mods/ambassadors, WP staff, and WP Stars (basically people who became famous/got a publishing deal because of Wattpad). Everyone else is just everyone else, but I feel we kind of have our own popularity system where some people are really popular without being in the Stars program.

It's a really good place to get feedback from others as there's a lot of people with varied interests and reading preferences on there. There's also book clubs, help threads, and amateur beta-reading/critiquing services that have been really helpful for me.

And lol no need to check out my stuff! I write for fun and only put stuff up so people can help me suck at writing less  Grin but if you have a link to your blog I'd love to check it out!

I'd love to help any way I can! Yeah, Wattpad is definitely fiction-based. I think Romance, Teen Fic, and Fantasy are the most popular genres on there. It's probably best if you keep your stories to-be-published away from WP, as that might make them a harder sell to agents and publishers if they're already up for free online. I'd say for you, Wattpad would be best as a place to get your name and blog out there, learn about potential readers and their interests, and test out ideas/get feedback. And blog articles are totally normal! It's not just books on there; I've seen everything from personal manifestos to stories told through email messages to art portfolios.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:08:54 pm »

Thanks for answering.

I'll probably start testing the waters with replicating my blog entries to WattPad and Tumblr.

my site is www.klforslund.com

It's an eclectic mix of content, though I'm trying to settle on a few themes.  There's at least 2 steampunk etiquette articles in there.  I figured it would be useful for historical research for my SP stories and I could see how they translate to modern times.

I post once a week and welcome feedback and readers (heck if I see what gets comments and hits on Google Analytics, that encourages me to focus more on that topic).  I have a hunch I could assemble a small book out of steampunk manners articles.

I'm still in the early stages.  I just had my first poem published, and am waiting for my first anthology entry to come out soon...  Harvey kind of delayed that.

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 07:21:02 pm »

I have posted up a Steampunk article on walking sticks on Wattpad.

Takes a bit getting used to it.  I tend to list links to references in my blog articles and Wattpadd doens't like that Smiley

This link may do the trick to get you there: https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/124954379-walking-sticks-correctly

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: