The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 09:20:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Pith Helmet with integral cooling fan  (Read 536 times)
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 31, 2017, 02:30:17 am »

My Steampunk Pith Helmet with an integral 12v laptop computer fan.

The helmet looking relatively standard from the front.

The helmet from the side showing the battery holder, cable and switch

The helmet from the rear showing the battery holder and switch

The helmet from the underside showing the metal cobweb that prevents the hair and the fan from coming into contact. The cobweb was from a child's toy. It is secured in place by heavy duty thread.

From above, showing the brass screws that secure the fan to the helmet and the holes where air enters into the helmet.

Showing the battery box with two 9v batteries wired in series. This side is normally covered with a lid that hides the batteries.

A close up of the battery box showing how the box is secured to the helmet. It also shows how the brass brackets are soldered to the tin can/battery box.

The fan is a small laptop 12v fan that is running at 50% beyond its normal rated voltage without an issue - Mfr. AVC  Type: C5010T 12m. It has been tested at 18volts and it runs well at that speed without overheating. The fan was very cheap indeed and is small enough to fit into the helmet. A larger fan could be fitted but this one is small and powerful. It has a standoff shroud that allows it sufficient room to suck in cool air and move it at speed over the head. The fan has been tested at 9 volts but it wasn't quite man enough to keep the head cool at those low speeds. Boosted to 18v it does the job. The fan gives a pronounced "whirr" during operation.

The switch is an old 1940s chrome toggle switch. The brackets are two copper rheumatism bracelets drilled and bent to shape, soldered to a tin can. The small tin can used to contain Bakers Yeast and has a plastic lid, the can has been drilled to create to holes for the switch and the cable. The cable is shrink sleeved and held to the helmet using brass tie-rings that are screwed into the helmet. The hole where the cabling penetrates the helmet is sealed with transparent mastic.

The end result is a good looking helmet that really cools the head on a hot day. The original pith helmets look great but in practice they are too hot to wear without cutting your hair really short. Even so, without the fan you are still soaking by the end of the day. With the fan in operation it then really starts being a useful and wearable helmet. It really keeps you cool!

The two batteries in series last a whole day at the very least when run at 18 volts. I have not yet run them for more than a day but they have been tested functioning for 6-8 hour stretch with faltering.

Please do give me feedback if you like/dislike my creation. The change is subtle and you will not discern any difference from the front. The wearer knows the difference, he is cool in all respects.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:56:01 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 01:49:11 pm »

Nice one, unclebert - very pukka!  Grin
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »

I wore it as a trial at the Aylsham show.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 03:27:37 pm »

Oh! Yes!

What a wonderful combination of form and content.

The gadget is useful, looks steampunkovski and imbued with the spirit of steampunk.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:46:34 pm by morozow » Logged

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:05:59 pm »

I may have to look into this, the heat is the only issue with Asylum being on August bank holiday. Does this draw air in from the outside or simply circulate it within the hat?

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:18 pm »

An excellent idea, Sir!
I did think that I needed a fan in my topper during the Asylum, as it was rather warm, but the idea of fitting one to the old Solar Topee is rather more fitting.

I tip my hat to your fine hat!  Grin

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:03:53 pm »

I may have to look into this, the heat is the only issue with Asylum being on August bank holiday. Does this draw air in from the outside or simply circulate it within the hat?

It draws air in from the very top which you will see has four small holes allowing for circulation. It sucks the air through these.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 10:15:28 am »

This idea is genious. I love it.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 06:13:09 pm »

I love the idea of this but have to say that my French-style pith helmet is my 'go to' choice for summer sun hat as I find it is already cool to wear, as well as being cool to wear in the fashion sense too.  (Do people still refer to things as 'cool' or am I giving away my age?  But the pun doesn't work if you say 'splendid' instead!)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 08:56:05 pm »

I love the idea of this but have to say that my French-style pith helmet is my 'go to' choice for summer sun hat as I find it is already cool to wear, as well as being cool to wear in the fashion sense too.  (Do people still refer to things as 'cool' or am I giving away my age?  But the pun doesn't work if you say 'splendid' instead!)

I still say cool. But...i turned 22 yesterday so i probably count as adult now
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:30:27 am »

Caledonian, Happy Birthday for yesterday!
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 10:12:46 pm »

Happy birthday from me too- well over adult at 22 I would add- you're virtually Victorian!

Grin

HP

morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 09:17:59 am »

I still say cool. But...i turned 22 yesterday so i probably count as adult now

HOHOHO!

Congratulate!

You are now all grown up. Can legally drink, smoke and swear.

Do not overdo it Wink
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 10:19:44 am »

Thank you all^^

Let's not stray from the topic of that amazing helmet, though
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 04:54:18 pm »

Good moderating! and happy birthday.

I am just replacing all the faux leather with real leather straps and interior.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 06:30:31 pm »

That's a very neat solution, and the battery pack fits really neatly onto the back of the helmet. It is so easy to overheat whilst in Steampunk garb and this is a very neat solution to that. I would also suggest gel packs that can be pre-cooled in the freezer could be used at strategic points around one's outfit (for example, under one's hat) to help combat the heat.

Yours,
Miranda.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 06:42:53 pm »

Testicle packs would be nice - I shall invent those, in brass. Testicle coolers. Who here would like to see these when done?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:51:02 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 05:55:37 pm »

Testicle packs would be nice - I shall invent those, in brass. Testicle coolers. Who here would like to see these when done?

Or alternatively, do you have any Scottish heritage? If that was the case, a kilt worn in the traditional manner would give plenty of airflow. Probably not such a good idea to install further fans down there though - it could all end in tears...

Yours,
Miranda.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 06:08:48 pm »

I will have to parse your question very carefully before I reply...   Shocked

Grin

HP
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »

the fan Dyson like no dangerous blades.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 08:50:56 pm »

So, the idea so far is for two induction tubes (Dyson inspired) blowing remotely-generated air via ducting from a compact turbine or electrical fan. The turbine would generate heat so that idea is a non-starter. The fan is a possibility and it could be fitted to a sporran but then the cooling effect of a kilt would probably be a better bet. Now I begin to see why testicle cooling has not already been addressed by a large number of devices from the likes of Dyson, Hoover, Electrolux &c.

Dyson must have sweated many pints before he realised that there is an insufficient market for testicle-cooling devices. Given that 50% of the potential market isn't even interested in such advances is enough to dissuade even the most fervent of inventors.

I could try a kickstarter - sounds painful in context.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:22 pm »

Well, I don't mind hearing how this idea develops but I'm not sure I want to see ..... Shocked
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 10:43:37 pm »

So, the idea so far is for two induction tubes (Dyson inspired) blowing remotely-generated air via ducting from a compact turbine or electrical fan. The turbine would generate heat so that idea is a non-starter. The fan is a possibility and it could be fitted to a sporran but then the cooling effect of a kilt would probably be a better bet. Now I begin to see why testicle cooling has not already been addressed by a large number of devices from the likes of Dyson, Hoover, Electrolux &c.

Dyson must have sweated many pints before he realised that there is an insufficient market for testicle-cooling devices. Given that 50% of the potential market isn't even interested in such advances is enough to dissuade even the most fervent of inventors.

I could try a kickstarter - sounds painful in context.

Now, a fan or two plus a kilt might just provide a steampunk hovercraft... or at least a spectacular sight!

HP
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 12:58:11 am »

Just how many new inventions in one thread?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »

As many as we can pack in, unclebert!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: