The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 11:14:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Eclipse Through Leaf-Shadows and Camera Obscura  (Read 196 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:04:15 pm »

I originally was going to just use my old pair of steampunk goggles, the first ones, which I made from a pair of welder's goggles. Even with a shade five times darker than recommended for eclipse viewing, Dad still caterwauled about losing half his eyesight from looking at an eclipse in his youth without protection, so I added heavy metalized mylar to the goggles; made them so dark that I got vertigo when I put them on (couldn't see ANYTHING until I located the sun), and could just barely see the full uneclipsed (and extremely green) sun in them - but still the caterwauling "don't you come cryin' to me when you go blind," etc, ad nauseum.

So...

I got out my the camera obscura I had made several years ago as a proof of concept for a much larger one that I still plan to build (but as yet still have not done so).

I dusted it off, covered one of the aperture/focus holes with tinfoil, and poked a teeny tiny hole in it with the tip of a very fine needle.

And voila! The Camera Obscura Eclipse Viewer!

Apparently, Tinypic does not like for me to have multiple images on this post. Not sure how to get round that; maybe post more pictures over several additional posts on this same topic....?

I'll go ahead and post the images on the Book of Face and see if they'll let me show them...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:41:05 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 02:28:03 am »

I had to make due with a cereal box pinhole projector. It worked nicely but the image was small. I tried using a magnifying mirror (as I was in the supermarket at the time), but the mirror at 3. 5 inches was already too large and produced an image that was too bright to see on paper, and almost burned a white envelope.

I guess you still need a filter if you want to produce a decently large image.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 06:16:16 am »

Well, let's see if this one comes out. This is the best of the bunch, showing both the divot out of the sun image, plus the sun shining through and lighting up the clouds around it:

http://imgur.com/a/jpc34

Kewl! Now how about some leaf shadows, or "leafclipses," as a neighbor called them:

http://imgur.com/a/jpc34

Maybe I ought to take out an imgur account, since tinypic wants to be all horsey now.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:18:38 am by MWBailey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 06:23:37 am »

I had to make due with a cereal box pinhole projector. It worked nicely but the image was small. I tried using a magnifying mirror (as I was in the supermarket at the time), but the mirror at 3. 5 inches was already too large and produced an image that was too bright to see on paper, and almost burned a white envelope.

I guess you still need a filter if you want to produce a decently large image.

Well, I was thinking that with a larger Camera Obscura ("CO" for short -the little one shown here was just a proof of concept to use as a prototype to develop a much larger one from - but life happened, and I never got around to it - But, a CO with a longer focal length (i.e., a longer box) would/should be capable of making a bigger image.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:17:34 am »

Ah, may the old masters technique be used for modern day optical delight of a natural event.

https://petapixel.com/2012/12/11/camera-obscura-and-the-paintings-of-old-masters/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

I've always used a welding mask lense myself.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:34:58 am »

Ah, may the old masters technique be used for modern day optical delight of a natural event.

https://petapixel.com/2012/12/11/camera-obscura-and-the-paintings-of-old-masters/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

I've always used a welding mask lense myself.

I was planning on using my old first pair of Steampunk Goggles (welding goggles, the kind everybody was modding with gold leaf and leather wrap-arounds - which is what I did - early on, 'way back when). They weren't quite dark enough, and the store that I bought them from is now defunct, so I was unable to get another pair of lenses to augment the ones I had; I therefore added silver metallic mylar (the storebought cookie bag variety) and that made the goggles so very dark that I couldn't see squat unless I looked directly at the sun, which was rendered to a very green bright disc (no, not a very bright green disc, but a rather subdued, green-cast sort-of-bright disc). All good, right? Welll...

I tried them out three days before the event, and found that as usual these days, I get vertigo when I look straight or almost straight up. Not really a problem when I can see all around me and catch myself before I fall down, but while wearing the goggles, as I said, I couldn't see any danged thing other than the sun, so I kept fumbling, stumbling and falling over. Must've looked a right prat to the neighbors, who called over the fence to make sure I was all right...

So, I kept the goggles as a just-in-case so that I'd have something if the camera obscura went wrong. Thankfully, it didn't, and I was not forced to repeat my rendition of Johnny-can't-Stand-Upright...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:41:53 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: